We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

12 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

@DieselDaisy Are you watching the WI v England ODI? I'm getting a little bit jaded by so many boundaries in this game. We are nearly at the record number of 6's and there's still nearly 40 overs left. Also what do they mean by Powerplay mean?

No. I am a bit of a test purist haha. ''Get the whites on and play proper cricket ye wankers''. I usually turn off after the tests, during the obligatory five-six pointless one-dayers followed by the even more pointless T20s. I do like one-dayers live though. I like the format. I like it much more than T20s but there is too much of it and it is killing test/county cricket.

They mess with the powerplay rules all the time but it used to mean you are only allowed two fielders outside the 30-yard circle. You usually have it at the start of an innings (1st 10 overs) and the end (last ten overs). It is to encourage yet more power hitting, to stop bowling teams setting defensive fields. 

Yes, big hitting. That is how this England have had their success and are favourites for the world cup. Attack, attack, attack. Your Stokes, and Buttlers and Roys. It is a World Cup year this year you know, and England are hosts? I have tickets for either Sri Lanka v West Indies or South Africa v Sri Lanka - can't remember - at Chester-le-Street. Probably worth popping down to one of the games. I think Sophia Gardens, Glamorgan, host four games actually. 

PS

They also set ''roads'', batting paradises, for wickets and bring the boundary rope in. They think the crowd are obsessed with boundaries and to a certain extent they are right. It is like a drug. More 6s. Have you seen the size of the bats now?

Edited by DieselDaisy

I definately prefer the ebb and flow of a Test match but yeah the ODI are good to be able to watch in one session but this particular they are just smacking it about at will. England made 418!! Now Chris Gayle is emasculating the English bowlers (except Rashid).

Yeah Sophia Gardens is a nice venue pretty much in the city center but in a nice quiet area. Its in the middle of Bute Park actually just behind Cardiff Castle.  I watched one of the days of the first Ashes test there a few years ago. 

3 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

I definately prefer the ebb and flow of a Test match but yeah the ODI are good to be able to watch in one session but this particular they are just smacking it about at will. England made 418!! Now Chris Gayle is emasculating the English bowlers (except Rashid).

Yeah Sophia Gardens is a nice venue pretty much in the city center but in a nice quiet area. Its in the middle of Bute Park actually just behind Cardiff Castle.  I watched one of the days of the first Ashes test there a few years ago. 

2009, Jimmy and Monty drawing? 

I haven't been actually as it is a nightmare to get to (for me). It is on my bucket list but moreso some of the outgrounds used by Glamorgan such as Colwyn Bay and St Helens where Sobers made his six sixes. 

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

2009, Jimmy and Monty drawing? 

I haven't been actually as it is a nightmare to get to (for me). It is on my bucket list but moreso some of the outgrounds used by Glamorgan such as Colwyn Bay and St Helens where Sobers made his six sixes. 

It is about 20 minutes walk from the main train station. I will probably go over for one of them. I've never seen cricket at St Helens but looked pretty shabby from the outside.  The six sixes over at St Helens was something my grandparents used to go on about. The last one got lost didn't it? 

In fact it was my grandparents that got me into cricket as every time I went over there they'd be asleep in front of the cricket 😁. It was England v India where Gooch got 333. Devon Malcolm, Angus Fraser and Chris Lewis pace attack. Devon Malcolm coming in as the last batsman was the funniest spectacle 😁

Just now, spunko12345 said:

It is about 20 minutes walk from the main train station. I will probably go over for one of them. I've never seen cricket at St Helens but looked pretty shabby from the outside.  The six sixes over at St Helens was something my grandparents used to go on about. The last one got lost didn't it? 

In fact it was my grandparents that got me into cricket as every time I went over there they'd be asleep in front of the cricket 😁. It was England v India where Gooch got 333. Devon Malcolm, Angus Fraser and Chris Lewis pace attack. Devon Malcolm coming in as the last batsman was the funniest spectacle 😁

There is a bit of variation on the story but the ball landed in the street, rolled down the street and was picked up by a kid who returned it, thinking Mr Sobers would want to keep it, and was given an alternative signed ball by Sobers in person. The bowler, Nash, was at Cheltenham doing a book thing when I was there last year; probably the best thing he did, bowling that over haha

• Like 1

Is Mark Wood bowling 94 mph?

He's from Ashington, Northumberland. Ashington is this ex-coal mining town near me - a bit of a dump truthfully - but for some reason it produces incredible sportsmen: Jackie Milburn, the Charlton Brothers, Steve Harmison and now Mark Wood. 

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is Mark Wood bowling 94 mph?

He's from Ashington, Northumberland. Ashington is this ex-coal mining town near me - a bit of a dump truthfully - but for some reason it produces incredible sportsmen: Jackie Milburn, the Charlton Brothers, Steve Harmison and now Mark Wood. 

He bowled brilliantly in the first spell and got two quick wickets. I think he's taken all 4 now actually but a lot of runs have come in between.

9 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

England are fuckin’ slamming the Windies.

Not any more they're not. England scored 418 but West Indies went mental in the first 20 overs and scored unbelievably quickly. Its slowed down now though so let's just see what happens. Oooh it's gone to stump cam...shit not out.

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Looking online for tickets to see India vs Pakistan at Old Trafford, fuck me they’re expensive!  600 quid a turn, fuck that, I thought cricket was the cheap sport!

World Cup? You'll never get them. Crazy middle class Indian supporters paying mad prices. Kashmir so you chaps never play each other in bilaterals (e.g., test matches) because of the politics.

If you avoid England and India you can go to a world cup game quite cheap. I have tickets for Sri Lanka v South Africa and Sri Lanka v West Indies. Neither cost me more than £20. 

I am looking at official ticketing website and there are still lots of cheap tickets for matches other than India and England. There are also tickets for some of the warm-ups which are even cheaper. Make sure you use the official site as the ICC are being arsey about unofficial sellers and I am worried they'll find somewhere to invalidate tickets bought unofficially. 

https://tickets.cricketworldcup.com/

Register. Do the little photo ''I am not a robot'' thingy then click login. On the screen ''Welcome to the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2019 Ticketing Site'' scroll down and click next. 

E.g., 

Still £20 tickets for Pakistan v Bangladesh at Bristol available. £60 Pakistan v New Zealand at Edgbaston. Pakistan v WI £60 at Trent Bridge. £60 Pakistan v Afghanistan at Headingley. Pakistan v Bangladesh at Lord's £60. Pakistan supporters are fairly mad also, and there are a lot of ''your lot'' in Britain, so I'd be fast. 

If you are not bothered about watching Pakistan but just want to watch ''two Paki teams'' haha, there is also Bangladesh v Afghanistan for £20 at the Rose Bowl, Hampshire. The Rose Bowl is a nightmare to get to though. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

How often do they have a world cup in cricket?

Every four years - same as football. Winners,

1975: West Indies 

1979: West Indies

1983: India 

1987: Australia

1992: Pakistan (Imran's ''cornered tigers'')

1999-2007: Australian dominance (uggh).

2011: India

2015: Australia

England have been in three finals ('79, '87, '92) and never won any of them. This year they're favourites (alongside India). Heavy attacking mindset with the bat posing gigantic totals and being able to chase anything. It is fearless cricket and has produced a revolution in the way the English see one-day cricket. I personally don't think they'll do it but I am just a miserable git so don't listen to me. 

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

England V Pakistan £95 (silver) at Trent Bridge. Be bloody fast. 

As it happens I'm skint at the moment so I might have to wait 4 years before I get to see a match, then again I don't have to see a world cup match.  England and Pakistan are the only teams I'm interested in seeing.  Pakistan vs India seemed a good shout cuz rivalry and all that y'know?  Other than that its got to be England its got to be on a Sunday and I'd like it to be reasonably local, like The Oval or something, fuck goin' up North (no offence :lol:).

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

As it happens I'm skint at the moment so I might have to wait 4 years before I get to see a match, then again I don't have to see a world cup match.  England and Pakistan are the only teams I'm interested in seeing.  Pakistan vs India seemed a good shout cuz rivalry and all that y'know?  Other than that its got to be England its got to be on a Sunday and I'd like it to be reasonably local, like The Oval or something, fuck goin' up North (no offence :lol:).

The next World Cup is in India haha.

Spoiler

ICC_World_Cup_Schedule_Overview_by_Venue

Lord's, Pakistan v South Africa , Sunday, ''Restricted View Bronze / Adult -  £ 44.00''.