Jump to content
DieselDaisy

We need a cricket thread here

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Whats the deal with Pakistan, are they just really really shit or something? 

Right now they're shite but historically it is always either that they're completely shite or utterly amazing. There is never a middle ground in Pakistani cricket.

So even now, you'd be a fool to completely outrule them.

I have a Pakistan shirt, such is my (strange) love of Pakistani cricket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Right now they're shite but historically it is always either that they're completely shite or utterly amazing. There is never a middle ground in Pakistani cricket.

So even now, you'd be a fool to completely outrule them.

I have a Pakistan shirt, such is my (strange) love of Pakistani cricket.

the last pakistan line up i recall went something like Amir Sohail, Saeed Anwar, Inzamam, hmmm, who else?  Basit Ali was in there somewhere I think, Waseem Akram and Waqar Younis, Saqlain Mushtaq, thats the sort of generation I remember and they were quite good then.  Wasn't Imran Khan in his twilight years at the time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

the last pakistan line up i recall went something like Amir Sohail, Saeed Anwar, Inzamam, hmmm, who else?  Basit Ali was in there somewhere I think, Waseem Akram and Waqar Younis, Saqlain Mushtaq, thats the sort of generation I remember and they were quite good then.  Wasn't Imran Khan in his twilight years at the time?

Imran left after winning the world cup in 1992. This was literally his last game,

MV5BYjE2ZDNlYjEtYmE3MS00ZDI3LTllMGItZjg2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that what the cricket world cup looks like?  Fuck, thats awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Is that what the cricket world cup looks like?  Fuck, thats awful.

The current trophy was first used 1999. This is the current trophy,

Icc_cricket_world_cup_trophy.jpg

The pre-99 cups changed every world cup and were all sponsored jobs, e.g., ''the Prudential trophy''.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That ones much better.  That one Imrans holding looks like a fuckin' Ikea ornament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

That ones much better.  That one Imrans holding looks like a fuckin' Ikea ornament.

That is the Benson and Hedges Cup. As I said, there was a new corporate sponsor trophy for each world cup until 1999 so that trophy was only used once in 1992, when Imran's ''cornered tigers'' beat England.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you going to any then?

I have tickets for,

Quote

 

Sri Lanka v South Africa

Sri Lanka v West Indies

 

Both at Chester-le.

I declined England v New Zealand because the tickets were a rip-off.

So I'm supporting Sri Lanka in this world cup seemingly haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

So I'm supporting Sri Lanka in this world cup seemingly haha.

You should have come down to this one in Cardiff. Sri Lanka all out for 136 twenty overs to spare. The cricket app thing I have gives them a 0.5% chance of victory in this game. 

Edited by spunko12345

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, ''your lot'' Len win by 14 runs. Some wayward bowling and fielding by England, who otherwise produced two centurions in a close contest. I do like Pakistani cricket; it is so mercurial. I watched the end after day 1 of my county match had wrapped-up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well, ''your lot'' Len win by 14 runs. Some wayward bowling and fielding by England, who otherwise produced two centurions in a close contest. I do like Pakistani cricket; it is so mercurial. I watched the end after day 1 of my county match had wrapped-up. 

I've been ripping the shit out of my family over that last run of ODs that England were winning so I got a bit back yesterday :lol:  The truth is I couldn't care less about cricket though I've been ever so slightly starting to take notice of late.  Its been a bit of a grim few weeks of sport, Arsenal tanking against Chelsea, Anthony Joshua getting spannered by Ruiz (was never much of a fan but he's a local lad so always gonna back him to some degree) and now England, who I was relying on yesterday to salvage a little bit of pride, went and lost to Pakistan :lol:  But then I can claim Pakistan too so I'm gonna glory hunt for a bit.  Its a weird thing though, who does the immigrant, or second generation immigrant support?  What'cha reckon Dies', who would you back in my shoes?  Or perhaps even in your own shoes, I don't know, you might be a bit of a mongrel yourself, your first name certain has a touch of the Paddy McGinty to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I've been ripping the shit out of my family over that last run of ODs that England were winning so I got a bit back yesterday :lol:  The truth is I couldn't care less about cricket though I've been ever so slightly starting to take notice of late.  Its been a bit of a grim few weeks of sport, Arsenal tanking against Chelsea, Anthony Joshua getting spannered by Ruiz (was never much of a fan but he's a local lad so always gonna back him to some degree) and now England, who I was relying on yesterday to salvage a little bit of pride, went and lost to Pakistan :lol:  But then I can claim Pakistan too so I'm gonna glory hunt for a bit.  Its a weird thing though, who does the immigrant, or second generation immigrant support?  What'cha reckon Dies', who would you back in my shoes?  Or perhaps even in your own shoes, I don't know, you might be a bit of a mongrel yourself, your first name certain has a touch of the Paddy McGinty to it.

My second name betrays my Scottish heritage actually. 

It is the ''Cricket Test'', or the ''Norman Tebbit test'', you are referring to,

Quote

A large proportion of Britain's Asian population fail to pass the cricket test. Which side do they cheer for? It's an interesting test. Are you still harking back to where you came from or where you are?

- Norman Tebbit.

I would use the old method of adopting a first and a second team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A: What's your job?

B: I'm a DJ at a cricket match.

A: A DJ?

B: Yes.

A: At a cricket match??

B: Yes. I play snippets of pop music, through a tinny PA, in between the overs. Quite loudly.

(Pause) A; That sounds tremendously annoying.

B: Yes, it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/06/2019 at 12:40 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Glorious

What is?  Or was? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Finale of a county match I was at.

Derbyshire 234/6 requiring 34 runs to win.

70th over (Rushworth): W nr W W nr 6

71st (Raine): nr W

Durham win by 29 runs. 

http://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#m34de5937-7716-4b80-9701-164113fa4437

So all this stuff goes on while the world cups going on?  Does that not present a dilemma for all you cricket fans? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

So all this stuff goes on while the world cups going on?  Does that not present a dilemma for all you cricket fans? 

Well county fans lose their England contacted players for most of the season so we lose Stokes and Wood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well county fans lose their England contacted players for most of the season so we lose Stokes and Wood.

But I mean attending/watching games and that, how shit would it be if the Prem was going on same time as the world cup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

But I mean attending/watching games and that, how shit would it be if the Prem was going on same time as the world cup?

I'm not that arsed about the world cup to be honest. Bit more of a purist, the whites, test and county cricket.

I do watch the end of the matches in the pub at the ground, The Sticky Wicket; I saw England mess up against Pakistan for instance. It actually rounds up a nice day. And then I have highlights. There isn't always home fixtures on of course. This has just been a specially busy period; there is a bunch of away fixtures occurring after next week.

Also I am actually going to two world cup matches (and obviously Durham are not playing at home then)! 

Cricket is a bit like that. You just pick up bits. It would be a struggle regardless watching every world cup match from beginning to end, sitting on your arse from 10:30 to (potentially) 19:00! I love cricket but even I'd struggle with that!

PS

For the Ashes I have done that. For the 2006-07 Ashes in Oz, back in my student days, I'd watch from 11 at night to 8 or something in the morning. I lived a strange twilight existence. What a disaster that series was!

Edited by DieselDaisy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pakistan ain’t chasing no three tons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Pakistan ain’t chasing no three tons.

No wonder I couldn’t get 8 Orangeboom at 6am today. All your lot are at the cricket! :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They really should make Kashmir the prize. Have a series every four years for Kashmir, winner holds it until the next series like the Ashes, whereby the other team tries to win it back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They really should make Kashmir the prize. Have a series every four years for Kashmir, winner holds it until the next series like the Ashes, whereby the other team tries to win it back.

Yeah, try and the stadium will blow up like the white house in that Will Smith film :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×