Guitarists' Brains Are Different Than Everybody Else's, Study Finds

Rovim

Love the comments on that article.

"Like guitarists needed another reason to be pretentious bastards."

Snake-Pit

Don't call Snake-Pit a guitarist. It demeans everything.

Like not even limited to guitar stuff. Democracy, gravity, logic, all demeaned by calling Snake-Pit a guitarist.

Guest Len B'stard

No they're not :lol:

How do you know? you're not a guitar player. I'm curious to hear why you think it's not true.

Cuz it's just fuckin' ridiculous, different how, cuz of what, have they got a fuckin' tumour or something? I dunno what constitutes a guitar player but i knew a scale or two, i know all the beginner chords, i know barre chords and all that, i ain't fuckin' Chuck Berry or nothing but I probably know more than the average, the whole thing sounds like a load of bullshit. I mean you're not born a guitar player are you, it's like anything, plumbing or being a brickie or an electrician, it's something you learn, how all of a sudden is your 'brain different' cuz you decided to pick up a bit of wood, plastic and metal and make a racket with it in your spare time, all of a sudden everybodys gotta be fuckin' 'different', it's a load of cobblers, any old fuckin' moron can pick up the guitar, it's just about fuckin' time really, developing motor skills, just doing it and doing it and doing it and doing it and doing it...thats 5 doings :lol:

'it's a way of life!', no it's not you daft cunt, it's a fuckin' guitar :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

How do you know? you're not a guitar player. I'm curious to hear why you think it's not true.

Cuz it's just fuckin' ridiculous, different how, cuz of what, have they got a fuckin' tumour or something? I dunno what constitutes a guitar player but i knew a scale or two, i know all the beginner chords, i know barre chords and all that, i ain't fuckin' Chuck Berry or nothing but I probably know more than the average, the whole thing sounds like a load of bullshit. I mean you're not born a guitar player are you, it's like anything, plumbing or being a brickie or an electrician, it's something you learn, how all of a sudden is your 'brain different' cuz you decided to pick up a bit of wood, plastic and metal and make a racket with it in your spare time, all of a sudden everybodys gotta be fuckin' 'different', it's a load of cobblers, any old fuckin' moron can pick up the guitar, it's just about fuckin' time really, developing motor skills, just doing it and doing it and doing it and doing it and doing it...thats 5 doings :lol:

Have you read the article? I guess it's a little hard to digest, but it mostly deals with improvisation, and what happens internally in your head when you're coming up with solos that sound good on the spot.

Take Hendrix for example: some musicians said he had a direct connection to his "soul" while he was playing. Especially live on stage.

Personally, I can honestly tell you that sometimes when I play a lead on top of a chord progression I totally forget about what I'm technically doing and just "feel it". But it's more then that, it's a freaky state of mind, like... you just know exactly where to go and every note you hit is the right one, and the guitar in that moment is just an extention of your body. For me it only lasts for a few minutes at a time.

Don't know what the right label for it, but there is something different that goes on inside when it happens imo.

Guest Len B'stard

Have you read the article? I guess it's a little hard to digest, but it mostly deals with improvisation, and what happens internally in your head when you're coming up with solos that sound good on the spot.

Take Hendrix for example: some musicians said he had a direct connection to his "soul" while he was playing. Especially live on stage.

Personally, I can honestly tell you that sometimes when I play a lead on top of a chord progression I totally forget about what I'm technically doing and just "feel it". But it's more then that, it's a freaky state of mind, like... you just know exactly where to go and every note you hit is the right one, and the guitar in that moment is just an extention of your body. For me it only lasts for a few minutes at a time.

Don't know what the right label for it, but there is something different that goes on inside when it happens imo.

Oh do me a favour man, OK, so then typists brains are wired different too the rest of the world cuz they can be tapping shit down without even thinking while someones dictating to them, gimme a break man, the articles not hard to digest at all, it's really quite simple, i just think it's rubbish. It's called well developed motor skills...and thats all it is.

Edited by sugaraylen

Oh do me a favour man, OK, so then typists brains are wired different too the rest of the world cuz they can be tapping shit down without even thinking while someones dictating to them, gimme a break man, the articles not hard to digest at all, it's really quite simple, i just think it's rubbish.

Fair enough man. That's cool.

I admit there is a strong possibility that I'm just fucking weird when it comes to all things guitar.

"Music, sweet music
I wish I could caress, caress, caress
Manic depression is a frustrating mess".

Edited by Rovim

Guest Len B'stard

I admit there is a strong possibility that I'm just fucking weird when it comes to all things guitar.

Thinking about it, the title kinda has a point but it seems to be inferring that it's like...something you're born with, like you just are that way, as opposed to like a developed skill that most people could acquire with the requisite effort.

Edited by sugaraylen

Thinking about it, the title kinda has a point but it seems to be inferring that it's like...something you're born with, like you just are that way, as opposed to like a developed skill that most people could acquire with the requisite effort.

That's exactly why it's facepalm-worthy. Of course their brains are working differently when playing guitar than are those of people who haven't played guitar; they're doing different things with their brains. :lol: