Guitarists' Brains Are Different Than Everybody Else's, Study Finds

Rovim

I agree with Rovim on this topic. I had a show last night, and I tell ya, you go into these "modes" sometimes. It's hard to explain. It's almost like being in the matrix or something. When I'm really "on" I'm not thinking about what I'm playing now, I'm 2 sometimes 3 steps a head of what we are playing at the moment. But I'm not thinking about it, it's all feeling and all improvisation. It's like someone is whispering in my ear saying "when the band plays this, you play that, and so on so fourth. Call me crazy, but this is how it "feels". :)

The same could be said for anybody who plays any musical instrument

agreed. Guitarist don't have a corner on the market or anything.

• Like 1

When I solo, I just let the music take over.

Sure, I'm thinking where on the guitar to do it but... It's all about feeling.

I love tone, certain tones, I am attracted to a good guitar tone; good guitar tones to me are; Slash's / Jimi Hendrix's and Carlos Santana's...

On the flip-side, guitar tones I can't stand is Brian May (of Queen), great riffs, great music, but the tone of the guitar is way too tinny (like tin) for my own taste... Each to their own.

I like some crunchy beefy tones too and. - A guitar doesn't always have to cry to sound cool; To me.

A guitarist can still know how to play guitar, but unless they have feeling, then they'd never be as good as someone who plays with feeling in that capacity... That's why I personally feel that AxlisOld suffers from autism... I mean, sure, they can play, but, listening to them play's still no fun; because they lack feeling and soul in their guitar playing, it's all cold hard logic... That's what AxlisOld strikes me as, someone with autism playing the guitar, like, they can play (technically), but still suck at it.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Guest Len B'stard

I remember reading like Jimi Hendrix would wake up in the morning and go to the toilet cuz he liked the accoustics in there and like...Chas Chandler'd leave the flat that morning and come back late afternoon and the bastard was still there, on the can, guitar in hand, still playing and like...he'd just be in another world, just totally fuckin' happy and content and doing his thing, ain't washed or moved or nothing, just buzzing off of playing, fuckin' champ that boy :) I ain't equating that to what we're talking about necessarily, just a nice little story I always loved.

i think some people just look at a thing and like...it just makes total sense to them, it's an inate thing.

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1

When I solo, I just let the music take over.

Sure, I'm thinking where on the guitar to do it but... It's all about feeling.

I love tone, certain tones, I am attracted to a good guitar tone; good guitar tones to me are; Slash's / Jimi Hendrix's and Carlos Santana's...

On the flip-side, guitar tones I can't stand is Brian May (of Queen), great riffs, great music, but the tone of the guitar is way too tinny (like tin) for my own taste... Each to their own.

I like some crunchy beefy tones too and. - A guitar doesn't always have to cry to sound cool; To me.

A guitarist can still know how to play guitar, but unless they have feeling, then they'd never be as good as someone who plays with feeling in that capacity... That's why I personally feel that AxlisOld suffers from autism... I mean, sure, they can play, but, listening to them play's still no fun; because they lack feeling and soul in their guitar playing, it's all cold hard logic... That's what AxlisOld strikes me as, someone with autism playing the guitar, like, they can play (technically), but still suck at it.

:popcorn:

• 7 months later...

Guitarists are, and always have been, the cool dudes in bands. Singers are too poncy and sometimes complete dicks. Bassists are usually the geek in the corner, or somebody's un-musical friend who is usually roped into the job. Drummers who merely, the person who owns a drumkit. Guitarists however are the real deal. Think Richards, Slash, Perry, Ace - they all have an inherent coolness.

Gotta throw CC Deville into that mix as well

Snakepit pulls guitar shapes to impress his black lesbos.

LesbianSistas just happens to be my social life...

I once said to my sister/mixed race chick seen in a lot of pictures with me who adopted me as her brother, when I was stoned with her and it all of a sudden dawned on me that I hang it with girls who like girls and we all like pussy...

"I'm a fucking genius!"

• Like 3

I personally think it's the music you either "get" or "don't get." That is why Mozart was playing piano before he could read and writing music by 5 or something. He just understood music. Same with Hendrix. He understood music and what sounded good. Did he have any formal music theory training? (I honestly don't know, but coming from a poor family, I doubt it.)

You need to practice to hone these skills to get the music to come out of your finger tips, but I believe some just have musical brains (not necessarily just guitarists.)

That guy at parties who busts out his guitar to play Wonderwall has a unique brain too?

I fucking hate that guy, but there is worse.

The guy who plays his own song at a party and gets all into it. Worse.

What kind of guys are you into then? strong and silent type perhaps.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Most of Mozart's masterpieces appeared when he removed himself from Salzburg though. His early works are apprentice works, nice works in the highly classical style galant manner, but not masterpieces. I believe Mozart needed to experience a movement in Germany at the time, proto-Romantic in nature, called, sturm und drang. He also learnt a lot from Haydn, about symphonic structure and counterpoint. Most of his masterpieces appeared after the move from Salzburg, the final five or so symphonies (including the Jupiter), the quartets and of course, the Da Ponte operas (Mozart wanted to be known, above all else, as a composer of opera).

That guy at parties who busts out his guitar to play Wonderwall has a unique brain too?

I'm not into any guys. But I hate douchebags just the same.

I'm not into any guys. But I hate douchebags just the same.

Most of Mozart's masterpieces appeared when he removed himself from Salzburg though. His early works are apprentice works, nice works in the highly classical style galant manner, but not masterpieces. I believe Mozart needed to experience a movement in Germany at the time, proto-Romantic in nature, called, sturm und drang. He also learnt a lot from Haydn, about symphonic structure and counterpoint. Most of his masterpieces appeared after the move from Salzburg, the final five or so symphonies (including the Jupiter), the quartets and of course, the Da Ponte operas (Mozart wanted to be known, above all else, as a composer of opera).

How do you get from your roots in greasy metaller music to this man? :lol:

If you think Mozart is high brow, you should read his letters. He had, what is called, a scatological sense of humour, fart gags, toilet humour. He would write to his sister back in Salzburg, describing some massive turd he had had, that morning. They are an eternal source of embarrassment for Mozartian scholars.