Robin Finck with Nine Inch Nails

Broskirose

10423753_783374531702636_613687757227846

Robin Finck confirmed that he plays on "Going Down," that Buckethead used to go to the studio unmasked sometimes, that he and Buckethead rehearsed "My Michelle" for the first time the day before playing it, that he's very proud and thankful about his past in GN'R, and that he does the vocals on his upcoming solo record. (via GNR Persia)

• Like 3

It sounds like one of those vids that have a dubbed terrible guitar over a vid, except in this one, it's just Finck. All of his solo spots were like this.

The problem with Finck is that he wasn't a good fit for GN'R when they performed their older material.... he absolutely butchered many of songs. I remember years and years back when countless number of people on the board were calling for his head because he was so terrible. He had no business doing solo spots like this.

Album work on CD though? OK. I can live with.

The whole NIN industrial image, his cat in the hat sox and pancake makeup... just made GNR a joke...him on the right and and Chicken bucket hockey mask to the left.....plus butchering the the material...just too much of a shocking difference from what GNR was ...but that aside... maybe one song has any kind of relevance "Better" and even then the world wouldnt be robbed if it wasnt created.

better and more creative in NIN...

I think my biggest comment reserved for Fink as he was heir designate to Slash and then his career while in GNR when no where ...if you didn't kow Robin from NIN chances were you didn't know him from GNR

I don't think that was really Finck's fault though, the band with Bucket and Finck could've taken off. Finck did some

really great stuff on CD and I have to believe that if Axl could've gotten his shit together that Finck would've stayed

on board. Regardless of how much of a part of NIN that he is, it has to ultimately be more satisfying to know that music

you created from inception is being heard. Unfortunately, working with Axl meant not knowing when, if ever, that music

would ever actually be released and the growing frustration of working on instrumental track #317, without being

made privy to the master plan (and being doubtful of whether or not a master plan existed). GnR was basically pure

creative freedom without any idea of direction, wheras NIN seems to be the opposite.

I wish Robin would come back for another show and guest on Better again. Make it a show where Duff's playing bass, and we can have somewhat of an idea of what the band looked like in 1997.

Forget Better, we need at least 1 live Robin TIL solo.

I don't know... NIN back in the day reminds me of GNR back in the day. Completely out of control. Looks like Trent kinda came out of it better though. I think that's due in part to the subject matter of NIN's songs (which kinda transcends life itself). GNR's music is really all about chicks, drugs and rock n' roll. Kinda hard to pull off once you're a 50 something. But for NIN's music... a lot of it can relate to any time period.

Wha? That applies for appetite but the Illusions and CD really saw Axl exploring deeper themes that made

the band more interesting and made GNR about something more than chicks, drugs, and rock n' roll.

• Like 1

A thread for Robin-specific discussion: Take 2

14198979711_0f5703d615_c.jpg

Edit: It would seem there is some confusion as to the purpose of this thread. This is not a general NIN discussion thread. That can be found in My World.

This is for news and discussion particularly relating to Robin. It isn't a thread for people to discuss their favorite tracks off Year Zero.

I love your Robin Finck threads Broski. You should probably make a new one everyday. :headbang:

Great picture.

Robin Finck + Trent Renzor = Relevant.

They have that Axl and Slash chemistry on stage.

• Like 1

IMO, people who says Robin belongs to Nine Inch Nails are just judging him by his looks. His guitar playing is much more diverse than the power chords and white noise on NIN.

The same thing applies to people who said he "got better", that was pretty stupid. His SCOM solo was always miles away better than the one with the current lineup.

IMO, people who says Robin belongs to Nine Inch Nails are just judging him by his looks. His guitar playing is much more diverse than the power chords and white noise on NIN.

The same thing applies to people who said he "got better", that was pretty stupid. His SCOM solo was always miles away better than the one with the current lineup.

I see what you're saying but even from a technical standpoint I'd say he does more with NIN than GNR tbh. It's not just power chords and white noise. There's a lot of really amazing detailed guitar work going on. It's just not as forward and direct as the blues based rock solos of Guns. The textures, tones and subtle little things he plays is what defines his guitar playing in NIN to me.

Agreed about the SCOM solo. I've always loved it. People seem to really dig it or despise it.

• Like 1

I disagree. His guitar work is indeed detailed and amazing, but its way more straightfoward for the kind of sound the band needs. It's not nearly as intricated and rich as his own guitar work in songs like Better, Riad and Prostitute. It's not just about the solos, but the riffs and the weird chords with full distortion but with every single chord sounding defined.

The old songs too had some of this work, speacially the rearranged ones like Patience and KOHD.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to guitargeek.com we have a very detailed gear diagram of Robin's stage setup that traces the signal flow of the equipment in his 2014 guitar rig. The picture is MASSIVE so I'm putting it in spoilers.

nin_robin_finck_guitar_rig_2014.jpg

http://www.guitargeek.com/robin-finck-nine-inch-nails-guitar-rig-and-gear-setup-2014/

And here are a few shots from the Soundgarden/NIN North American tour that kicked off on Friday. Trent has said this will be the last tour for a while so this may be your last chance to see Robin live for a bit (hopefully he's still active with other projects).

14533489798_5b77ae1655_o.jpg

14717750834_7427eb3b12_o.jpg

14717750884_998270095f_o.jpg

Edited by Broskirose
  • Like 2

Epic rig. I've been looking for this for my whole life, thx for posting. :lol:

For some reason I didn't think that his Teles were actual Fenders. Maybe on the last tour he used Schecter Teles and I was thinking of that. BTW why is the signature guitar not there? Has he quit using it completely? I saw him playing that in Came Back Haunted a few months ago.

Also Ashba's rig is, at its core, somewhat similar: Axe FX II

Edited by Bumble's Bridge Pickup

I have a press pass (99% sure at least) for next week's show at Mansfield. Sent away an email this morning for an interview request with Robin - I'll keep y'all posted, as if I get one I'd love some input for questions.

Not sure how much he'd want to answer GNR related questions, or how much he would say if he does answer, but I'd love to ask things like

- Favourite unreleased GNR song he played on, or favourite piece of guitar work on unreleased songs

- Any more info on the 'SRV style' solo that Axl talked about

- His favourite moment with GNR

- What's his current relationship like with Buckethead

- When/why did he decide to leave

- Has he spoke to Axl since?

Good luck getting an interview with him, like I said I doubt he would entertain those questions, but if you do get a chance to interview him ask him for a shout out to robin2002 on mygnr!!

I have a press pass (99% sure at least) for next week's show at Mansfield. Sent away an email this morning for an interview request with Robin - I'll keep y'all posted, as if I get one I'd love some input for questions.

That's awesome! I'd love some info about his solo album, its style, special guests, maybe a release date? :lol:

Also tell him his biggest fan lives in Brazil!!!

• Like 1

I hate NIN and industrial rock but i hope that Finck will be happy in NIN, he is a good guy, but i prefer BBF, Fortus and Ashba in GnR, i want a sleaze sound in the band and Robin is very experimental, he must play in NIN or other industrial bands.

That's awesome! I'd love some info about his solo album, its style, special guests, maybe a release date? :lol:

"ROBIN PLS COME TO BRAZIL" - is this the message you're looking for? Duly noted.

Thanks for the help guys! Just got an email back from his publicist saying he's looking into his schedule. I don't wanna make the interview extremely GNR-centric, but I'm happy to toss in a few of those. I'm also really interested in the solo record so I'll definitely ask about that if I get the chance.

"ROBIN PLS COME TO BRAZIL" - is this the message you're looking for? Duly noted.

Thanks for the help guys! Just got an email back from his publicist saying he's looking into his schedule. I don't wanna make the interview extremely GNR-centric, but I'm happy to toss in a few of those. I'm also really interested in the solo record so I'll definitely ask about that if I get the chance.

:lol:

Yeah man, an interview focused on NIN and his solo work would be a lot more interesting. As for GNR, any info about the CD recording would be cool.

• Like 1

Great photo from NIN Instagram

10576237_279042478945961_542181173_n.jpg

Ask him what unreleased GNR song from the CD sessions is his favorite. Maybe namedrop some of them to jog his memory - The General, Atlas Shrugged, Soul Monster etc.

I'd be interested in what his favorite NIN album is.

Will he be on the next NIN album?

What were his thoughts on the lineup with Pino Palladino and the backing singers last year?