Last full album you listened to?

Broskirose

Nice ballad. I'm listening to the version by George Grossmith and Haidee de Rance but cannot find it on youtube but here is an alternative version from the same period; it is a foxtrot,

There are versions by Sinatra, Deano, Judy Garland if you care to search on youtube.

Another nice one with a lot of variants,

I like the hesitating way the male singer sings: ''I...could...say...such...wonderful things to you''. The female singer grates a bit mind.

Edited by DieselDaisy

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You've missed Satanic Majesties Request in your Stones foray? How on earth could you do a thing like that?

I've heard all of em already a few times anyway, I've just never like...REALLY got into em, y'know?  Like I'm doing now, listening to em like 2 or 3 times per album and just going into the discography for whats got to be over a month now.  And like, yeah, with Satanic Majesties I've heard it before, at least a couple of times over, many years ago, I didn't actually think it was absolute worthless shite like a lot of people make out, it has a couple of little moments but I sort of like The Stones playing rock n roll I guess.  I probably will someday, its just not that day at the moment!

Never realised how amazing their lyrics were before.  I mean obviously I knew they were good but I was never into them to the point where i was looking up lyrics and what have you, they really were fucking brilliant.  They were more sort of feel songs for me before this.

Edited by Len Cnut

Just now, Len Cnut said:

I've heard all of em already a few times anyway, I've just never like...REALLY got into em, y'know?  Like I'm doing now, listening to em like 2 or 3 times per album and just going into the discography for whats got to be over a month now.  And like, yeah, with Satanic Majesties I've heard it before, at least a couple of times over, many years ago, I didn't actually think it was absolute worthless shite like a lot of people make out, it has a couple of little moments but I sort of like The Stones playing rock n roll I guess.  I probably will someday, its just not that day at the moment!

People say it is a 'Pepper rip', which superficially it is (the cover and some English music hall elements), but it is actually a rather different record from Pepper. It is a lot more psychedelic and loose - a lot more Zappa-esque. There are these weird self-indulgent loose jams on it with oriental instruments going on forever. Pepper is a concise and immaculate record. Even Harrison's sitar number does not descend into waffle. A better comparison could be made with TSMR and 'Revolution No 9'.

There are some good things on it though. I see it as a curio in the stones discography. Didn't some punk band cover Keith's 'Citadel'?

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

People say it is a 'Pepper rip', which superficially it is (the cover and some English music hall elements), but it is actually a rather different record from Pepper. It is a lot more psychedelic and loose - a lot more Zappa-esque. There are these weird self-indulgent loose jams on it with oriental instruments going on forever. Pepper is a concise and immaculate record. Even Harrison's sitar number does not descend into waffle. A better comparison could be made with TSMR and 'Revolution No 9'.

There are some good things on it though. I see it as a curio in the stones discography. Didn't some punk band cover Keith's 'Citadel'?

Was it The Damned?  I can't remember.

But yeah, Pepper-esque is a lazy description.  It's actually a lot more coarse sounding than Pepper from what I remember.  Whatever else Pepper is it's very clean and as you said concise and well constructed.  Pepper wasn't The Beatles doing drugs and going mental, whereas I think SM was The Stones doing drugs and going mental.  Jagger said as much in an interview, it was to do with like no quality control and thinking everything you did was the bollocks. 

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Was it The Damned?  I can't remember.

But yeah, Pepper-esque is a lazy description.  It's actually a lot more coarse sounding than Pepper from what I remember.  Whatever else Pepper is it's very clean and as you said concise and well constructed.  Pepper wasn't The Beatles doing drugs and going mental, whereas I think SM was The Stones doing drugs and going mental.  Jagger said as much in an interview, it was to do with like no quality control and thinking everything you did was the bollocks. 

It has a Bill Wyman number on also which is actually a parody of a Kinks/Beatles psychedelic Englishy thing. The Glimmer Twins liked it so it was included. 'In Another Land'. The only other Wyman composition is 'Downtown Suzie' from Metamorphosis but Mick sings it.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

It has a Bill Wyman number on also which is actually a parody of a Kinks/Beatles psychedelic Englishy thing. The Glimmer Twins liked it so it was included. 'In Another Land'. The only other Wyman composition is 'Downtown Suzie' from Metamorphosis but Mick sings it.

I had no idea about that.  I wonder why Bill left, never got that, why would anyone leave The Stones?  I mean i know Mick Taylor basically left cuz he was turning into Keith but why Bill?  Probably just fed up, gotta cash in on your gold watch at some point eh?

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I had no idea about that.  I wonder why Bill left, never got that, why would anyone leave The Stones?  I mean i know Mick Taylor basically left cuz he was turning into Keith but why Bill?  Probably just fed up, gotta cash in on your gold watch at some point eh?

He thought the whole wrinklys playing hits in stadiums thing was a joke and wanted to do a low key thing with the rhythm kings. He said that he would've quit before the Steel Wheels tour but he did that final tour because he was broke and needed the money.

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He thought the whole wrinklys playing hits in stadiums thing was a joke and wanted to do a low key thing with the rhythm kings. He said that he would've quit before the Steel Wheels tour but he did that final tour because he was broke and needed the money.

How the fuck can a Rolling Stone be broke?!?  

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Mandy Smith?

Fuck knows, i never got into the in's and out's of their personal life, i know he shagged a jailbait, or married her even, I dunno what came of it.  I have read Life so I guess thats delving into their personal lives a fair bit.  Speaking of that, whats the best Stones book out there?  Something really long and extensive.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Fuck knows, i never got into the in's and out's of their personal life, i know he shagged a jailbait, or married her even, I dunno what came of it.  I have read Life so I guess thats delving into their personal lives a fair bit.  Speaking of that, whats the best Stones book out there?  Something really long and extensive.

The last Stones book I read was this really trashy Jagger book which I wouldn't recommend. Stoned or something.

What do you make of Goats Head Soup? Criminally reviled in my opinion.