Last full album you listened to?

Broskirose

On 21/09/2018 at 9:50 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

61Urs52uYwL._SS500.jpg

Debut album from The Cruel Intentions - raw, sleazy, rock n' roll. Vains Of Jenna was one of my favourite bands and I've wanted a new record from Lizzy for years, and this didn't disappoint. It kinda sounds like Vains' 'Demo album' and Lit Up/Let Down, which is awesome. If you're into bands like Vains Of Jenna or Santa Cruz, definitely check this album out.

This is a great album. I'm loving it.

Always loved vains of jenna and have been hanging out for some new music from lizzy.

I should check out santa cruz. Any other tips for music like this?

29 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why does the cover consist of a samurai? 

I’m not sure, I immediately thought they are like the last warriors doing this kind of rock or take on things. 

But I started to think Resistance is Futile is not a rallying cry, it’s more like accepting defeat. That is a pic of one of the last Samurais. And I think they were all wiped out. 

There’s also a song on the album called People Give In where Wire basically says 80% of life is failing so why not give up and go out painlessly. 

In a broader sense I think it’s comment on all the political stuff going on. Whether you beat Trump or Brexit they know we will always lose in the end. It’s really the flip side of Generation Terrorists and Everything Must Go where they thought they were winning. Futile is a record that is uplifting futility. Musically it sounds like GT meets EMG. 

Sequels of Forgotten Wars seems to be the best song on the album because there’s a hint of anger in the futility of watching the same political scenarios playout on tv. 

Edited by wasted

9 minutes ago, wasted said:

I’m not sure, I immediately thought they are like the last warriors doing this kind of rock or take on things. 

But I started to think Resistance is Futile is not a rallying cry, it’s more like accepting defeat. That is a pic of one of the last Samurais. And I think they were all wiped out. 

There’s also a song on the album called People Give In where Wire basically says 80% of life is failing so why not give up and go out painlessly. 

In a broader sense I think it’s comment on all the political stuff going on. Whether you beat Trump or Brexit they know we will always lose in the end. It’s really the flip side of Generation Terrorists and Everything Must Go where they thought they were winning. Futile is a record that is uplifting futility. 

Yes, when that photo was taken the Samurai class were being replaced by a modern (European style) army, although many of this class provided the officer corps. 

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, when that photo was taken the Samurai class were being replaced by a modern (European style) army, although many of this class provided the officer corps. 

So that’s why they are using it.

Manics also joined GNR tour so maybe they are becoming officer corps. 

Wire called Duff “a cool dude” and they keep in touch. Duff played on one of they albums, A Billion Balconies Facing the Sun. Seemed to be about the masses on the internet. 

Spectators - Amelia Curran

Fantastic album, but I may finally be hitting the wall with nonstop Amelia. There's this certain sonic je ne sais quoi that kit drums are treated with on a lot of Canadian recordings that I don't enjoy. And I find it distracting and sometimes a little fatiguing on the ears. Something with how the low-mids are handled. And this goes back before mp3 ruined mixing. Its only worse now. And on this album its compounded by the fact that she hadnt really been playing with a full band prior and her acoustic guitar tone for a band setting hadn't been arrived at yet - its sounds mostly of a pick-up and not really any room sounds. And to my ears, acoustic pickups (the bar in the sound hole ones that is) also have a weakness in the low-mids.

They improved so much for her next album thankfully - its so lush and rich. A nice punch and snap on the kit.

Sound and Colour - Alabama Shakes

Incredible! For me this is the best rock n roll album by a newer band in some time!!! And maybe second best in general only to Iggys' Post Pop Depression. The musicianship and production are top shelf. The songwriting comfortably meshes tradition and futurism. It seems to demand an emotional investment and takes you to some low places. But it makes sure to care for the listeners along for the ride.

• Like 1

The Rolling Stones No 2

Their early work is so good.  Whenever an album gets so good its unbearable I end up buying it and sticking it in my car, this process has led to the gradual purchase of a lot of Stones albums, so far I got:

Exile on Main Street

Sticky Fingers

Let it Bleed

Black and Blue

Some Girls

Goats Head Soup

Its Only Rock n Roll

And now Out of Our Heads.  I owned the first two previously on CD at one point but fuck knows where they ended up. 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1