Last full album you listened to?

Broskirose

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The first two songs, "Moanin' at Midnight" and "How Many More Years'', were recorded at Sam Phillips' Sun. Chess bought them up to issue before sort of stealing Howlin' Wolf, carrying him off to Chicago, which is where the rest of the album was recorded. You can hear the difference in the bands, the style and the recording techniques. 

How Many More Years does stick out as a song, I just thought it was cuz it had an amazing riff.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

How Many More Years does stick out as a song, I just thought it was cuz it had an amazing riff.

The first major breakthrough Sam [Phillips] made was with Howlin' Wolf. That's when he started bringing the bass and drums up loud. Back in those days the bass and drums were background instruments; it was all about the horns and the piano, the melody instruments, and Sam brought the rhythm section right up front, and that became rock 'n' roll. That was a big shift.... In some ways "How Many More Years" by Wolf would be the first rock ’n’ roll song because that has the guitar lick that became the central guitar lick in rock 'n' roll, and that's the first time we heard that played on a distorted guitar. It was an old big band lick, turned into something completely fresh.[1]

T-Bone Burnett 

• Like 1

Life Sex & Death - The Silent Majority

A "one and done" album from 1992. Good hard rock but such an anomaly at the same time. The lead singer named Stanley was supposedly a deranged homeless guy and damn it if he doesn't sound like it, even though he's got great vocals. Give it a listen.

Edited by Jabberwocky

On 6/25/2019 at 4:12 AM, Len Cnut said:

To be fair to them I don't think they were like, doing em to make quality cinema, they were just doin' em just to do em, to break ground, to do the Thriller thing y'know, the big crazy long video thing.  I weren't really aware of it at the time but like, what we were living through back then was to hip hop what the 1950s and 60s were to rock n roll, the best era of it, they were really making their bones and laying down markers, especially Death Row and them.  I never did spot Tupac in that fuckin' thing!

It’s easy to miss Pac. It’s at the very end of the video. The cops have Cube and Dre surrounded and the head cop is calling for the snipers to get in position. And for like 5 seconds it shows Pac in sniper gear with a rifle and he looks through the scope, and the view goes to Dre and Cube through the scope and you hear a bang and the video ends. I just always found it funny that was the role Pac played.