GN'R @ The Felt Forum, NY - May 9th, 1988

highvoltage

That whole performance of Brownstone is killer. I miss how Axl used to hold the notes in the chorus. He stopped doing that way back in the 90s if I remember right.

Anyone else find the AFD version of You're Crazy to be a bit underrated? It's always being called the worst song on AFD and shit like that. I love it, and it translates live wonderfully.

It's definitely not the worst song on AFD, but live performances are the only versions I enjoy much.

Man, that's It's So Easy is awesome. Compare to this to Chicago '92 just 4 years later, where Duff's stoned out of his mind on the intro, Sorum's drumming nowhere near as good as Adler's... It's a shame the often bloated UYI shows are the one that are most prominent in the public perception of classic GNR and not these kick-ass AFD-era gigs.

Rocket Queen, dat bass :shades:

Axl has more interaction with the crowd in the first 5 minutes than in the past 4 years.

• Like 2

Anyone else find the AFD version of You're Crazy to be a bit underrated? It's always being called the worst song on AFD and shit like that. I love it, and it translates live wonderfully.

+1

This is maybe the coolest show of 1988

maybe even in the TOP5 for the AFD era GNR TOP 10 in classic GNR general

Edited by Crash Diet
  • Like 1

The band liked it too:

Interviewer: When I saw you, you were improvising madly, Slash was really working out, Axl was dancing around all while Steven and Duff were plugging away seemingly in their own world. Yet at a certain point, you five stopped on a dime!

Izzy: It's amazing to me. That night at the Felt Forum in New York when you saw us was a particularly good night. I mean, sometimes we make bad mistakes onstage too. I remember in the old days we'd go so nuts we'd fall right off the stage. Sometimes we'd jump off the stage on purpose. You can't stay too tight when you do that!

Interviewer: I saw kids getting crunched up to the foot of the stage and having to be rescued by security guards. I saw kids hurling themselves on top of other people right in front of you. Does that happen at every gig?

Izzy: Oh, that was one of the more mellow gigs. In Europe, it's like a football game. Kids are flying through the air and landing on stage all the time.

Interviewer: How can you keep playing?

Izzy: It's not easy. Many times I'll be playing and some big kid will be hurtling through the air at 100 miles per hour right at me. I can't imagine what that must look like from the audience. But I'm sure it adds an excitement to the show. When these kids go flying past me and I never see it coming, it gives me a rush of adrenalin like you wouldn't believe.

Interviewer: That's downright dangerous!

Izzy: Sure it is. But it's also on the edge and that's what makes good rock 'n' roll.

Interviewer: That's what I like too. You never know what's gonna happen at a Guns N' Roses concert.

Izzy: We don't even know ourselves from one minute to the next. We don't even use a songlist anymore.

Interviewer: When Axl rode that bicycle across the stage, people freaked!

Izzy: I had no idea he would do that. It caught me by surprise [superstar facts, Interview with Izzy, 1988]

Axl: In New York I was late to the show at the Felt Forum because I'd passed out after drinking Nightrain and doing an MTV interview. I showered, did my vocal exercises and got dressed within 15 minutes and went to the gig. We got out of an $8,000 overtime debt because the barricades that separate the fans from the stage were set up wrong, and by the time they'd fixed it, I'd gotten there and everything was cool [Rip Magazine, April 1989].

[btw, this show took place on May 9, not May 5.]

• Like 2