May 28, Las Vegas, NV - No Trickery!

He lost quite a bit of weight, is sounding more and more like he should, gave a solid interview, is relying less and less on the hat.

Still, some people have nothing better than to bitch about him being "bloated" and having a double chin. FFS.

This.

At this point I could care less about his "bloat." He actually sounded good through this show! And that interview was solid, as you said.

I'm just shocked, this performance was like Philly 2012. Out of nowhere.

• Like 1

DJ just has no sense of timing whatsoever. He's so transfixed on hitting the right notes (which he still sometimes fails to do) that he's not paying attention to when he's hitting them.

The mark of a good guitarist is that he has complete control over the song. He can hit the notes, or hit something that sounds good as a substitute, without effort. Because of this, a good guitarist is able to focus on things other than simply hitting the notes, like hitting them with authority or with good timing.

DJ is awful.

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 1

You guys are making this show out to be much more than it was, imo. It was one of the best shows this year. That's not saying much.

It's not really about the show per se. The thing is, the old voice exists and still sounds good when it comes out. Weight loss and proper warm up allow him to bring it out more often, and he is doing it. It just gives some hope that he can bounce back if proper work is putting him.

It actually corroborates your thesis on it being a matter of giving a shit. All those theories from the Golden Gods of him trying to sing it but failing, about him having permanenty damaged his voice fall apart if you watch that single clip of better. He goes full rasp many times, and tbh doesn't look like he is struggling. If he gets excited, loses a few more pounds and rehearses more often instead of warming up on tour, who knows how he can sound. I bet it would be good.

He seems more fired up. From all accounts, he even seem to have spent more time this show without the hat and bandanna. The pic of him in a regular t shirt someone posted shows he improved quite a bit physically. Perhaps he's got some renewed motivation, that's where the excitement comes from.

He lost quite a bit of weight, is sounding more and more like he should, gave a solid interview, is relying less and less on the hat.

Still, some people have nothing better than to bitch about him being "bloated" and having a double chin. FFS.

This.

At this point I could care less about his "bloat." He actually sounded good through this show! And that interview was solid, as you said.

No men, we saw the improvement show by show, Philly was good but the shows before where horrible, this is like an early 2012 european show level.

Jesus Christ I'm listening to the TIL solo right now.

How in the fuck is DJ still this bad? He's been playing that solo every show for FIVE FUCKING YEARS. HOW HAS HE NOT PERFECTED IT BY NOW?

It sounds like a moderately good guitarist playing it by ear in his bedroom for the first time. Not a guy who's had 5 years to perfect it. Fuck. This is one of the two guitarists we're going to be left with when Ron leaves? This is our sole lead guitarist? Kill me now.

(Axl was great btw)

Say what you want about Finck and Bumblefoot, but the things that you think sound bad about their playing is the result of them making choices to play it a certain way. DJ's problems are just sheer inadequacy. Like, he is literally incapable of improving his performance.

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 1

Jesus Christ I'm listening to the TIL solo right now.

How in the fuck is DJ still this bad? He's been playing that solo every show for FIVE FUCKING YEARS. HOW HAS HE NOT PERFECTED IT BY NOW?

It sounds like a moderately good guitarist playing it by ear in his bedroom for the first time. Not a guy who's had 5 years to perfect it. Fuck. This is one of the two guitarists we're going to be left with when Ron leaves? This is our sole lead guitarist? Kill me now.

(Axl was great btw)

Say what you want about Finck and Bumblefoot, but the things that you think sound bad about their playing is the result of them making choices to play it a certain way. DJ's problems are just sheer inadequacy. Like, he is literally incapable of improving his performance.

This. Great points made.

This.

No men, we saw the improvement show by show, Philly was good but the shows before where horrible, this is like an early 2012 european show level.

I disagree. This tour hasn't been slow and steady improvement at all. The show before this one wasn't that great. Golden Gods and Rock on the Range were atrocious at times.

There was some slow and steady improvement through this past SA but it wasn't as significant as the "progression" in the '11 or '13 tours.

You guys are making this show out to be much more than it was, imo. It was one of the best shows this year. That's not saying much.

It's not really about the show per se. The thing is, the old voice exists and still sounds good when it comes out. Weight loss and proper warm up allow him to bring it out more often, and he is doing it. It just gives some hope that he can bounce back if proper work is putting him.

It actually corroborates your thesis on it being a matter of giving a shit. All those theories from the Golden Gods of him trying to sing it but failing, about him having permanenty damaged his voice fall apart if you watch that single clip of better. He goes full rasp many times, and tbh doesn't look like he is struggling. If he gets excited, loses a few more pounds and rehearses more often instead of warming up on tour, who knows how he can sound. I bet it would be good.

He seems more fired up. From all accounts, he even seem to have spent more time this show without the hat and bandanna. The pic of him in a regular t shirt someone posted shows he improved quite a bit physically. Perhaps he's got some renewed motivation, that's where the excitement comes from.

I don't have an issue with anything you've said except the optimism. I think what we're seeing right now is about as good as it's going to get, which I just can't be excited about without setlist changes or new music or something.

One last thing though... IMO the stage presence has gone downhill since Golden Gods. Stage presence was the only good thing at Golden Gods. Now he's back to looking like a bored tiger pacing in its enclosure at the zoo - with a few predetermined dance moves thrown in, of course.

Easy put for those discussing Ashba's incredibly awful amateur skills.

After 5 years of playing the same song almost every day:

3:29 - 3:47 A complete piece of shit shit-bending solo. 3:37 is the worst thing I have heard in my life.

After 5 years of NOT playing the song:

3:44 - 4:04 Incredibly awesome well-executed well-performed solo.
  • Like 2