Revolver Interview with Axl Rose

Does anyone else get the feeling he's just letting his paranoia get the best of him when he's talking about managers secretly fucking him over? The 2011 tour was pretty well promoted, and they were set up in respectable venues. What more did he want exactly? How exactly are they fucking you over?

Sure I believe they would want a reunion, but I don't believe they're setting up elaborate schemes to make it happen. I just don't see the evidence, and I never see him get even remotely specific about it. Sounds like conspiracy nonsense.

Axl believes that the label, lawyers, A&R, managers and the whole world were doing everything in their power to have a reunion. So they would come up with whatever bullshit to make Axl give up. And maybe he is right. Put yourself in the shoes of those guys. Sure a reunion would make everyone richer. But also Axl himself would make more money. I guess if the label and managers only care about a reunion they should been straightforward about it from day one. Their mistake was to believe that they could´ve persuaded Axl as time was passing by that the only way out was a reunion. And things are not just about Axl. There are other 4 guys who also must a have a say about a reunion. Were Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven really very interested in a reunion under Axl´s terms only? Were they willing to be just hired guys? I think managers forgot about this part of the deal as well.

The part I don´t get is why the U.S. tour was not legimate in his view.

I think Azoff was doing a backup plan as a favor to Jimmy Iovine and wasn't trying to mastermind a reunion the way Axl made it sound. He did the same thing to the Eagles and Glenn Frey just went no, which put the whole thing to a halt. 4 years later and a Travis Tritt video, they got together and did it, but not before old feelings resurfaced between Frey and Felder.

2016 if I'm optimistic. That was a real update. Fans need the frontman of the band they are fans of to lead them inside into the band's world. Through the music and the interviews. Axl gave a pretty clear idea of where it's hopefully going to go in this interview (finally).

Duff can probably make some Gn'R magic happen for Axl in the studio. It would be wise to take advantage of that.

I guess time will tell. Always knew CD ll was finished. I think he wants to release the remix as a bonus disk with CD ll.

They need to do 6 hour meetings.

Edited by Rovim

One of the best Axl interviews in a long time. Love this regarding Duff- " And you know, it's pretty funny because we'd go to talk about certain things from Illusions, and there's things he doesn't remember, there's things I don't remember. We kind of finish some of each other's memories sometimes."

awww he loves Duff! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Edited by tinyrobot

Good interview with some good questions. I wish there were a couple follow up questions regarding new music. The overall tone seemed positive and some verification that new things are still possible. Overall I almost didn't believe the answers were from Axl as they were too short and to the point without rambling, until asked about being pushed for a reunion and the US tour. Still good to see. He really should do more of this as he needs all the positive press he can get.

I can imagine listening to songs I know nothing about. Seven, The General, Berlin, Robin's SRV style solo, Thyme, Quick Song, J. Chan, Soul Monster, Atlas Shrugged, a reworked Silkworms, Beta's Barn and more.

I wish he'd release 16 to 18 songs, but I have a feeling It'll just be around 14 again.

If it comes out in 2 years, It will be considered a quick release in Axl time.

Get rid of the remix cause 10 people will buy it. Put those songs on an ep and tour them whilst working on new ideas in soundchecks and jamming on downtime. Yeah Axl, I'm telling you what to do, RandallFlagg is GNR if dj ashba is.

Like someone mentioned above it's cool that Axl views his legacy as incomplete and is looking to accomplish a few more things before he's done. He mentioned the long CD process and how that's slowed down what he's wanted to accomplish.

The one thing I didn't like was him going after who Duff use to be. It seemed he was still bitter over how the old band operated in terms of awareness. I guess Axl doesn't understand how the old band wasted so much potential like we don't understand Axl's lost potential the last 13 years.

As far as new music then I guess bumble is ready to leave recognizing that the next album won't be his material.

I think when Axl says that he's going to get serious about the next album that he means he'll start jumping the hurdles to get the album ready for release while the other guys do their stuff. Also I think Axl will add more vocals to what's there. I think he knows that he's the one that needs to take care of his end to get the album out. It sounds like the other guys have finished their parts.

Holy crap! That is friggin AWESOME! I can't believe some of the muted reactions like 'confirmed they're a touring band/same old stuff.' I have been one of the most negative, pessimistic and massively pissed of people on here for the past three years and reading that has just made my year!

1. When the residency is over he is 'seriously' going to look at getting the next record done (and i'd suggest the implication that they will be done with touring until that happens).

2. We're getting the Bucket/Robin/Brain era stuff and although some of it has been worked on, no indication that their parts have been erased wholesale or that that's an issue moving forward with it.

3. We're gonna get the remix album with the new raspy This I Love!!!! :D :D :D

4. Although he doesn't once acknowledge us lot, he does completely comprehend the ridiculousness of the situation with regard to how long the entire 'Chinese' cycle has taken and moreover he agrees with me that he doesn't deserve a lifetime achievement award (yet) as a result). He understands his legacy is going to be quite incomplete and that he has quite a bit of work left to do if he wants to leave people with a more positive view of him when he's done.

5. AT LEAST a few more years!!

6. This is a hell of a lot more positive than 'I hope to get another record out sometime in my lifetime.'

7. This is the awesome, quick-witted, fun, intelligent Axl I used to love from the interviews of the old days.

For the first time in four years i'm going to start saving money every week for the first bunch of shows on the tour that has new songs. And I don't care if he sings clean falsetto as long as he brings the fire and maybe loses the hat and glasses :P

SO friggin happy right now. Even if it takes until late 2015.

A 15-minute interview with Axl just made your year? Wow.

They are a touring band. This current band hasn't put out a record together. And GnR has put out one album of original material in the almost 20 years since the old band broke up. You wouldn't call that a touring band situation?

CD2 is already in the can? Then why haven't they released it? CD came out six years ago. How long are they going to wait? Why wait? If the album is done, and the band is currently touring - why not release it?

And a remix album? Really? One album in the last 20 years and they are thinking about releasing a remix album of it? It's idiotic. How about releasing the finished CD2 a couple of years ago and then releasing an album written by the current band this year or 2015?

We already knew he was open to playing with Duff, so that was no big surprise.

Man, I admire your enthusiasm. But dang. If GnR just keeps doing the same random touring, playing the same songs, and doesn't release the CD follow-up for another year and a half.............you couldn't be happier? Just because Axl did a quick interview? Again, if the album is complete, and the prior one came out SIX years ago, why wait 1.5 more years for a follow-up? That just means an album written by the current band won't see the light of day for 10 more years. Songs written in 2013 won't come out until 2024.

I'd bet money it was Warchild and not WFA. WFA seems to have learned his lesson from the fake-izzy account mess. Meanwhile, Warchild is still posting under fake names at various forums and pretending to be Axl and/or a band insider.

I'm sure part of the deal with "winning" the Golden God award was that you had to do a quick interview with the magazine. But on the positive side, it is great to see Axl out there answering some questions. Very good read and he gave some great answers. He needs to do more of these, it would really help the image of himself and the band.

My only complaint would be that if CD2 is already finished, why not release it and tour to support that album? He seriously doesn't need to wait 7-8 years in between alums. And a remix album better be a side project and not interfere in anyway with releasing actual new music and albums.

I hope no one thinks Axl is actually going to put out new music...

IDK man, it's difficult.

I mean, I know that's probably one of the biggest craps ever said, and my rational side doesn't think the band's gonna reunite after Vegas to start "something".

But... After so much silence about that topic (I seriously don't care in Ashba's, Dizzy's or even Bumble's opinion in this matter), I kinda have a liiiittle candle of hope.

• Like 1

This. I understand that coming from Axl himself, it's supposed to fill our hearts with hope, but this is the guy who created a whole new Guns to end up playing AFD + another hits in Vegas, while promising an "evolution" and a trilogy in the first place. To those choosing to believe and give another chance to Axl, allow me to have a laugh at you next year. If a new album DOES happen, feel free to quote this and laugh at my face, I'll be happy too, specially if the songs aren't total shit.

This. I understand that coming from Axl himself, it's supposed to fill our hearts with hope, but this is the guy who created a whole new Guns to end up playing AFD + another hits in Vegas, while promising an "evolution" and a trilogy in the first place. To those choosing to believe and give another chance to Axl, allow me to have a laugh at you next year.

So let me see if I get your logic: Because Axl hasn't yet released a trilogy and hasn't in your opinion evolved GN'R enough you won't trust him when he says he intends to release more music?

This. I understand that coming from Axl himself, it's supposed to fill our hearts with hope, but this is the guy who created a whole new Guns to end up playing AFD + another hits in Vegas, while promising an "evolution" and a trilogy in the first place. To those choosing to believe and give another chance to Axl, allow me to have a laugh at you next year.

So let me see if I get your logic: Because Axl hasn't yet released a trilogy and hasn't in your opinion evolved GN'R enough you won't trust him when he says he intends to release more music?

He'll come up with some lame excuse when asked again about a new album by 2015 or 2016, like he does everytime. Being "Life gets in the way" my personal favorite. No reason to trust in his words, based on what GNR has become over the years and Axl's work ethics post-CD release. But like I said, I won't be sad if I'm wrong when I say a new album will never be released, specially if the songs are good. But I'll come here to say "I told you so" once again, it's fun. :)

• Like 1

He'll come up with some lame excuse when asked again about a new album by 2015 or 2016, like he does everytime. Being "Life gets in the way" my personal favorite. No reason to trust in his words, based on what GNR has become over the years and Axl's work ethics post-CD release.

He talked about a trilogy first and a twin album later. He still talks about a twin album. Just because it is delayed doesn't mean it won't happen. In fact, in most cases when people miss out on deadlines it simply means they are late - not that they won't get there at all. And Axl being late shouldn't be a mind-boggling concept to any of us.

It seems to me people are disappointed about things, like the fact that Axl didn't succeed at releasing three records rapidly, or making new GN'R as big as old GN'R, or because his voice isn't what it is, or because he is 50, or because Robin left, or because Dj replaced him, and so on, and then let this disappointment cloud their judgement in regards to new music. That is an extremely pessimistic, nay fatalistic, perspective. And although I tend to always encourage people to not have their hopes up for anything GN'R, I see no reason to not trust that sooner or later - let's make that later - we will hear new music.