Revolver Interview with Axl Rose

I hope no one thinks Axl is actually going to put out new music...

This. I understand that coming from Axl himself, it's supposed to fill our hearts with hope, but this is the guy who created a whole new Guns to end up playing AFD + another hits in Vegas, while promising an "evolution" and a trilogy in the first place. To those choosing to believe and give another chance to Axl, allow me to have a laugh at you next year.

So let me see if I get your logic: Because Axl hasn't yet released a trilogy and hasn't in your opinion evolved GN'R enough you won't trust him when he says he intends to release more music?

He'll come up with some lame excuse when asked again about a new album by 2015 or 2016, like he does everytime. Being "Life gets in the way" my personal favorite. No reason to trust in his words, based on what GNR has become over the years and Axl's work ethics post-CD release.

He talked about a trilogy first and a twin album later. He still talks about a twin album. Just because it is delayed doesn't mean it won't happen. In fact, in most cases when people miss out on deadlines it simply means they are late - not that they won't get there at all. And Axl being late shouldn't be a mind-boggling concept to any of us.

It seems to me people are disappointed about things, like the fact that Axl didn't succeed at releasing three records rapidly, or making new GN'R as big as old GN'R, or because his voice isn't what it is, or because he is 50, or because Robin left, or because Dj replaced him, and so on, and then let this disappointment cloud their judgement in regards to new music. That is an extremely pessimistic, nay fatalistic, perspective. And although I tend to always encourage people to not have their hopes up for anything GN'R, I see no reason to not trust that sooner or later - let's make that later - we will hear new music.

Yeah man, I hear you. I see "extremely pessimistic" the only way to go, unfortunately. Let's hope I'm wrong and Axl delivers an album or two of great music. I'm 99,9% sure it won't happen. Even though most of my posts exhale frustration, I really don't care that much. Talking and discussing is still fun, though.

I hope no one thinks Axl is actually going to put out new music...

This. I understand that coming from Axl himself, it's supposed to fill our hearts with hope, but this is the guy who created a whole new Guns to end up playing AFD + another hits in Vegas, while promising an "evolution" and a trilogy in the first place. To those choosing to believe and give another chance to Axl, allow me to have a laugh at you next year.

So let me see if I get your logic: Because Axl hasn't yet released a trilogy and hasn't in your opinion evolved GN'R enough you won't trust him when he says he intends to release more music?

He'll come up with some lame excuse when asked again about a new album by 2015 or 2016, like he does everytime. Being "Life gets in the way" my personal favorite. No reason to trust in his words, based on what GNR has become over the years and Axl's work ethics post-CD release.

He talked about a trilogy first and a twin album later. He still talks about a twin album. Just because it is delayed doesn't mean it won't happen. In fact, in most cases when people miss out on deadlines it simply means they are late - not that they won't get there at all. And Axl being late shouldn't be a mind-boggling concept to any of us.

It seems to me people are disappointed about things, like the fact that Axl didn't succeed at releasing three records rapidly, or making new GN'R as big as old GN'R, or because his voice isn't what it is, or because he is 50, or because Robin left, or because Dj replaced him, and so on, and then let this disappointment cloud their judgement in regards to new music. That is an extremely pessimistic, nay fatalistic, perspective. And although I tend to always encourage people to not have their hopes up for anything GN'R, I see no reason to not trust that sooner or later - let's make that later - we will hear new music.

I admire the way you spin things, but taking away fan bias and just looking at the facts, what do you have? Sure. Sooner or later, we can say that any artist could release more music in the future. But specifically in GnR you have a band that released a covers album in 1993 (I could be wrong on that year) and a follow up album in 2008. Now it is 2014. So one album in the last 20 years. Using those numbers and not taking in fan bias or the need to "educate" people, why would an expectation be a couple of years rather than 10-15 years? There was a 15 year gap between their last two releases, why should people expect differently now?

It's a pretty cool interview, but it's nothing revelatory, the stuff about new music is the same as the USA Today interview from Oct 2012, only thing that surprised me was talk about the remix album.

New music: "All the guys are writing, and we recorded a lot of songs over the years. We'll figure out what we feel best about. Chinese was done in piecemeal with one person here and one there at different times. Appetite for Destruction was the only thing written with lyrics and melody fitting the guitar parts at the same time. After that, I got a barrage of guitar songs that I was supposed to put words to, and I don't know if that was the best thing for Guns. I do want to lean more toward lyrics and melody."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2012/10/30/axl-rose-on-gnr-music-more/1669329/

Axl comes across really well in that interview, which can only do him good.

It's hard not to be optimistic about the future of Guns N' Roses despite this frustration which is ever present on this forum, but rightly so. I was very disappointed and pissed at the Q&A on twitter, especially at DJ's comments to my question, as he of all people, would know nothing about the quality of songs produced. I always take everything the band members say with a pinch of salt, as even Ron said himself jokingly that we know as much as he does. Despite his lack of interviews, it's great that Axl can give a glimmer of hope that there is still plenty more music to come, which tends to tide the board over for a few months until the frustration starts kicking in again.

It is not a question of Axl's willingness (to release new stuff). I just do not think he has the bollocks for it anymore, to release an album. He is a defeated artist - I think CD's poor sales killed the guy's bollocks. It is over. It is like Lucas tinkering with his 'special editions' or, Tyson fighting his last few fights for cash - Axl has reached that stage when he has chucked it in for the cash. There comes a point where you lose your bollocks and it is over and you chuck it in and become, shit.

I actually question whether Axl can even write a good song again. He has never written a masterpiece since Illusion era whereas, Better and TWAT are great songs but even they were written fifteen years ago! Is it possible to pack in songwriting for so long and still come back and be strong? Yes, but unlikely in Axl's case.

• Like 1

Why release a remix album now? It is going on 6 years since Chinese Democracy came out and only a small faction of people would really even check it out. It makes no real sense.

Now his talking of a new album being the focus after Vegas DOES make sense, however unfortunately I have no hope that we will see it even remotely soon

Why release a remix album now? It is going on 6 years since Chinese Democracy came out and only a small faction of people would really even check it out. It makes no real sense.

Now his talking of a new album being the focus after Vegas DOES make sense, however unfortunately I have no hope that we will see it even remotely soon

We're almost 6 years in since the release of CD. I think it won't take more then 4 more years until it's released. So 10 (maybe just 8) years give or take between Chinese part l and ll.

That's a strong compromise in Axl time. Axl lit a Gn'R scented candle to shine a little light in the dark.

It's probably going to be like The Godfather 1 and 2. Maybe even like Batman Begins (Chinese) and The Dark Knight (CD ll)

Edited by Rovim

Wow, that was actually really, really cool!

I know Chinese Democracy 2 will never happen, but it was really nice hearing him acknowledge it.

Some typical Axl insanity in there too. No legit US tours? What were 2002, 2006, and 2011? 2011 was pretty promoted and successful too. Still, it was quite a neat read

Wow, that was actually really, really cool!

I know Chinese Democracy 2 will never happen, but it was really nice hearing him acknowledge it.

Some typical Axl insanity in there too. No legit US tours? What were 2002, 2006, and 2011? 2011 was pretty promoted and successful too. Still, it was quite a neat read

You don't know that man. It's just your prediction.

Some typical Axl insanity in there too. No legit US tours? What were 2002, 2006, and 2011? 2011 was pretty promoted and successful too.

I thought that was funny too :lol:

Cool interview, it's always nice to read what Axl has to say. At least he's talking about music. I'd say that should keep some people optimistic until maybe a whole week after the residency has ended :lol:

(Seriously though, I hope he was serious about focusing on music. But I won't get my hopes up.)

The only way I'd be psyched about anything axl has to say is" the follow up to democracy will be released on... (fill in a date) stay tuned for track list and artwork details to follow" anything else is just cock in the mouth.

• Like 1

Finally got to read this. Thankyou for posting it JB.

Definitely the best news we've had in a very, very long time. Great interview, it's good to see Axl open to discussing where things are at with new music and that he hasn't thrown in the towel just yet.

"We recorded a lot of things before Chinese was out. We've worked more on some of those things and we've written a few new things. But basically, we have what I call kind of the second half of Chinese. That's already recorded. And then we have a remix album made of the songs from Chinese. That's been done for a while, too. But after Vegas, we're going to start looking very seriously at what we're doing in that regard."

Communication and updates. I love it!

Is it a good sign that he's bringing up the remix album though? Do we really want there to be a possibility of that actually being released?

Maybe as a bonus to a new album, or something to tide us over for brand new material. I'll take something rather than nothing any day.

• Like 2