YouTube/Internet Culture

Question: Do you feel you're at a disadvantage having all of this information on GN'R shows within seconds?

I mean, most people that go to these shows don't give a shit what the set list was the night before. I'd love for them to change it up but what difference does it make? I'm just looking at set lists and YouTube videos.The people that saw the Illusion tours didn't have the luxury--they had no idea if "Perfect Crime" was played the night before, thus they didn't feel cheated.

Which brings me to my next point:

Seems like the party line is "Axl sounds like shit." But if you were in the audience, physically experiencing the performance, would you hear the clams? Seems unfair to watch cell phone videos and make blanket statements on how good or shitty the band is. I enjoy seeing clips on what's going on at these shows, but it's a weird culture where instead of watching the band we hold up our phones so that other people can have second-hand experiences and then judge as if they were there. Understandable, but weird.

I guess what I mean to say is, don't lie. If you were there you'd be pumped. It's Axl Rose! I'm so old I remember the days were there was no Axl Rose--anywhere!

• Like 2

Although you have some valid points, but get off the cocaine man...

ut if you were in the audience, physically experiencing the performance, would you hear the clams?

If we hear a youtube recording from 2010 or 2006 we can hear how awesome Axl was
So this argument is pretty tired and shitty

PS: get of the smack, bro

Edited by Crash Diet

I rarely watch the youtube footage - It's not the same as being at a gig and I hate being at a gig and having to try see the stage over thousands of mobiles/tablets.
In regards to the setlist, I think DJ still thinks it's the 90s and people have no way of finding out the set from previous nights, so he can do one with his 'we change the set every night' bit, doesn't wash with me. I do have an interest in the setlists as I live thousands of miles away, and in terms of GNR the only thing that gets me excited is the hope of hearing new music, although it seems highly unlikely they'll drop a new song in a live environment. I just want what in reality is a basic want/expectation of any band - to record, release and play new music.
I don't care if 'Axl looks less bloated' or if BBF seems to be enjoying himself or how much rasp Axl had on YCBM and I don't understand how people can get excited watching Patience on Youtube via smartphone...

Guess that means I'm a hater lol, I'm not a hater, I've been a fan for a long time and the band should be fcuking greatful to have fans like they do, and as passionate as we are and IMO should make an effort to keep them interested and stop focusing on the real haters.

I rarely watch the youtube footage - It's not the same as being at a gig and I hate being at a gig and having to try see the stage over thousands of mobiles/tablets.

In regards to the setlist, I think DJ still thinks it's the 90s and people have no way of finding out the set from previous nights, so he can do one with his 'we change the set every night' bit, doesn't wash with me. I do have an interest in the setlists as I live thousands of miles away, and in terms of GNR the only thing that gets me excited is the hope of hearing new music, although it seems highly unlikely they'll drop a new song in a live environment. I just want what in reality is a basic want/expectation of any band - to record, release and play new music.

I don't care if 'Axl looks less bloated' or if BBF seems to be enjoying himself or how much rasp Axl had on YCBM and I don't understand how people can get excited watching Patience on Youtube via smartphone...

Guess that means I'm a hater lol, I'm not a hater, I've been a fan for a long time and the band should be fcuking greatful to have fans like they do, and as passionate as we are and IMO should make an effort to keep them interested and stop focusing on the real haters.

DJ is just a moneywhoring dumbfuck, nothing more, nothing less

It' doesn't really matter if he constantly and blatantly lies, because he will receive his paycheck anyway, so...

Edited by Crash Diet

The thing is ...

Why do you pick up your cell phone or camera and stop watching the show and start recording it? (pick one)

1) Axl and the band sounds like shit, then you give up from watching the show and start recording it, so all the people on the internetz can see how shitty it was, when you ulpoad it on the youtube.

2) You are living the moment, and it is so awesome and sounds so good that you want to keep a little bit of that to you, forever, in your cell phone or camera. And later you share it with all the world on the internet because you have the illusion that a recorded image/sound is a bit of what you lived in the last night.

I vote in nr 2.

Conclusion .... obviously it sound better when you're there.

I love the Internet and mobile devices, but I hear you: it's like people are recording instead of experiencing, and maybe we're extra critical too because we have so much more information.

I wonder if it's a really difficult adjustment for bands that started pre-Internet. GNR never had to think about online forums full of fans comparing each night's setlist, or recording hundreds of videos of the times Axl sounds crappy, etc. It's like we have this overview of what's happening instead of just having a very tiny window of experience based on actually going to a show, or a friend going and sort of vaguely remembering what they played and how they sounded, or if MTV happened to record and broadcast something (probably edited).

Anyway, I don't really have a point. I just think yes, it's different now, but all these changes also help build up stronger fan communities, which is (IMO) a really awesome thing and worth any disadvantages of new tech/comm.

I don't know if it's advantage or disadvantage, depends on how stupid you are regarding tecnology.

If you live your life slavering to the smartphone and the tablet, then you will start losing your humanity.

The recent thread started by Kaneda is the best example of how ignorant people can be and how they channel their experience through cellphones, to the point of telling someone that nothing of what they just saw with their own eyes is true, while what they saw in shitty footage on YouTube is DA TRUTH.

I remember going to some show with a person who doesn't have the possibility of attending spectacles very often and right from the beginning they started recording it with a cellphone. I was pissed off because I caught them seeing the show through the cellphone screen and not as it should be, staring at the stage, so I told them to stop doing that and try to live the show without having to worry if the cellphone was out of battery or if the light, or if the focus. They responded they wanted a video to show their friends who wouldn't have a chance to ever attend something like that... So I was like, whatever, maybe you won't have a chance to attend it again either and you are just wasting the money you paid for to see a show through the lens of a camera. Woulda been better to stay at home.

What I'm bothered with (and I used to be guilty of this) is being at a concert and holding my camera up to record some songs or take pictures. I stopped doing this because

1. Everyone else is now doing it and I can just watch the footage the next day (so yes, I do appreciate y'all who still do this!) ;)

2. It's never as good as pro-shot properly mixed material

3. it allows me to enjoy the show in person and not through a lens!

What I'm also slightly annoyed with is that there is no more mystery surrounding certain rock stars. With Axl there still is plenty, because he does do very limited press and social media, mostly fan pictures. But a lot of musicians put so much focus on themselves (shit reality shows), their side projects and their own lives that it's almost as if the music becomes secondary to that. With Guns you also get that because with no new music or events to discuss, what good are all the interviews, chats, ... ? You catch my drift.

Edited by Bumblefeet

I don't know if it's advantage or disadvantage, depends on how stupid you are regarding tecnology.

If you live your life slavering to the smartphone and the tablet, then you will start losing your humanity.

The recent thread started by Kaneda is the best example of how ignorant people can be and how they channel their experience through cellphones, to the point of telling someone that nothing of what they just saw with their own eyes is true, while what they saw in shitty footage on YouTube is DA TRUTH.

I remember going to some show with a person who doesn't have the possibility of attending spectacles very often and right from the beginning they started recording it with a cellphone. I was pissed off because I caught them seeing the show through the cellphone screen and not as it should be, staring at the stage, so I told them to stop doing that and try to live the show without having to worry if the cellphone was out of battery or if the light, or if the focus. They responded they wanted a video to show their friends who wouldn't have a chance to ever attend something like that... So I was like, whatever, maybe you won't have a chance to attend it again either and you are just wasting the money you paid for to see a show through the lens of a camera. Woulda been better to stay at home.

..but a singer singing out of tune or a guitar play messing up solos is the same whether you are there or not - Chances are when you are at a gig you may not notice these things due to various reasons (beers? sound qualty? jumping around?) these mistakes are there because they happened. So while I do agree that we are quick to be judgement after watching Youtube clips etc, the mistakes still happened, whether we were at the gig or watching it on Youtube - you just won't have as much fun watching it on your smartphone or tablet etc compared to being there.

It's that Axl has been playing songs from the 'new' era for 13 years now and he went thru several court cases to stop Slash associating himself with the band (with Axl being a integral cog ofc) who done the songs he relies on despite claiming he was evolving GNR and honouring the name yet it looks like he's being a touring jukebox after the world tour to promote Chinese Democracy. His voice falling from those unbelievable heights, coming back in patches, isn't really the main concern. I have no idea what he did to lose the consistency or ability to go full rasp like the Axl Rose we know but many correlate it with a lack of fire. That ain't true cause 2001 he sounded helium central but his intensity and intention was there in leaps and bounds.

If we accept Axl has relented on his deranged yet noble challenge of releasing a trilogy and evolving this band in his own whacked out vision, turning into a nostalgic touring act with a handful of a now ancient record done by members who are also gone, if we accept he has become less progressive than Slash despite his avid detestation at the tophatted one, it is easier to feel less aggrieved when we see him sing at a weaker standard. If he came out at Rio with three new songs, he'd have been regarded with more patience because there'd be progression and INTENT despite the fact he sounded like shit and looked disinterested, Rio 3, he sounded weird but he threw down a goddamn gauntlet and pursued it the next seven years in his obtuse way.

Going to a GNR show is always going to be a great night, just when you've seen the same setlist give or take a few songs, it's fine once every few years but when you are aware the guy has not made any progress except backwards when you were intrigued and cautiously supportive of his zany enthusiasm for the challenge and he was talented enough to complete it to some degree, you can't help feel disappointed at the last 4 years. Seeing his voice weaken and the performances relegate to going thru the motions sometimes, it just leads to asking, what is the point, is it all for cash? He'd reunite if that was the case, or his trenches are dug so deep he knows he can't reunite but is doing the next best thing, nostalgic numb comfort after the long hard slog of CD caught up with him. Maybe he got his catharsis and has drawn a line in the sand around him that a new record's waters cannot cross? He says he's working on a new record, when does he plan to release it, when he's 58?

Edited by RandallFlagg

..but a singer singing out of tune or a guitar play messing up solos is the same whether you are there or not - Chances are when you are at a gig you may not notice these things due to various reasons (beers? sound qualty? jumping around?) these mistakes are there because they happened. So while I do agree that we are quick to be judgement after watching Youtube clips etc, the mistakes still happened, whether we were at the gig or watching it on Youtube - you just won't have as much fun watching it on your smartphone or tablet etc compared to being there.

You are right but seriously, have you ever watched a flawless performance that is 3 hours long? If you have, Im pretty sure the artist was lip-synching.

Theres absolutely NO ONE out there, not even Madonna or Lady Gaga (to mention some big names) going completely flawless at their shows.... The mistakes idiots usually remark here are really small things that no one with half-a-brain could use to set judgement on an entire show.

Yes, what is known in YouTube as the "Axl Rose disaster" does exist and I won't overlook at it BUT hell, how many shows have Axl played in his life? 300-400? And just because he fucks up at 2, he's already done, dead, useless, terminated? (because those are the terms haters use).

It's been proven that after those two fuck-ups many other shows were amazing and almost flawless. I feel lucky the two I have attended were great and I have no regrets paying what I paid for it or the hassle I went through to get in and out of the venue.

And I wont trade that experience or base my opinion on some shitty footage uploaded on YouTube.

Arrogant much?

Another option would be to let your friends enjoy the shows in the fashion that THEY want to?

Or must everybody conform to the rules that work best for you?

If they want to record the show so they can share it with their friends, why in the world would that effect your enjoyment of the show?

There are a lot more important things in life to get angry about than if a friend is recording a show or not. Personally, if it my friend was doing something that annoyed me I'd simply IGNORE them and enjoy the show.

You are right but seriously, have you ever watched a flawless performance that is 3 hours long? If you have, Im pretty sure the artist was lip-synching.

Theres absolutely NO ONE out there, not even Madonna or Lady Gaga (to mention some big names) going completely flawless at their shows.... The mistakes idiots usually remark here are really small things that no one with half-a-brain could use to set judgement on an entire show.

Yes, what is known in YouTube as the "Axl Rose disaster" does exist and I won't overlook at it BUT hell, how many shows have Axl played in his life? 300-400? And just because he fucks up at 2, he's already done, dead, useless, terminated? (because those are the terms haters use).

It's been proven that after those two fuck-ups many other shows were amazing and almost flawless. I feel lucky the two I have attended were great and I have no regrets paying what I paid for it or the hassle I went through to get in and out of the venue.

And I wont trade that experience or base my opinion on some shitty footage uploaded on YouTube.

Way to completely miss the point.

Arrogant much?

Another option would be to let your friends enjoy the shows in the fashion that THEY want to?

If they want to record the show so they can share it with their friends, why in the world would that effect your enjoyment of the show?

There are a lot more important things in life to get angry about than if a friend is recording a show or not. Personally, if it my friend was doing something that annoyed me I'd simply IGNORE them and enjoy the show.

Sometimes it's hard to ignore if they're keeping their smartphones right in front of your face :P I wouldn't record the show myself and prefer to enjoy the show live, but I also enjoy seeing the clips people made of GNR, so I can't complain really.

One show I saw this year hardly anyone was filming. But I was at a show last year where the singer was really annoyed by everyone taking pics and filming, and I have to admit his reaction to that annoyed me more than the people filming it.

• Like 1

Arrogant much?

Arrogant??

Damn, I was trying to help the idiot form a fucking memory in their head!!! <_<

Arrogant much?

Arrogant??

Yes.

Why not let the person enjoy the show in the way that they wanted?

So you took an "idiot" to a show and got very angry because they weren't watching it the way you wanted?

Ya, that sounds a bit arrogant.

Arrogant much?

Arrogant??

Yes.

Why not let the person enjoy the show in the way that they wanted?

So you took an "idiot" to a show and got very angry because they weren't watching it the way you wanted?

Ya, that sounds a bit arrogant.

ok, you will assume any bullshit as long as you can get away with calling me arrogant.

There so be it, if it makes you happy.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whenever I go to a show, I never record video or take pictures and generally hate the people that do that are in front of me. For me, I'd rather experience the show! And also, whoever gets real good video at a concert and who watches it on their phone? I always found the quality to be shifty and not worth the time or effort.