"Guns N' Roses is overrated..."

GNR were a great band and they did a lot of great things, but for a band with so few albums, they sure had a lot of bad songs. UYI 2 is like, half perfect, half terrible. UYI 1 has way too much boring speedrock filler. Even AFD has a few stinkers. Most of the songs on TSI had no business being written and recorded by their original bands in the first place, let alone being covered by GNR.

You may have a point, but the great songs outweigh the bad and are amongst some of the best rock songs of all time.... which ultimately is why we're all still here discussing a band who've put out one album in 20-odd years.

Why post this shit? Who cares about some clown whose opinion is patched together from various sources and nothing in his thought comes across as original, he's merely recycling everything that's been alreday said at some point in time but it doesn't make it necessarily true.

Edited by Sisyphus

Guest Gunns

...or so this 'losing his hair, I-can't-talk-without-yelling" chubby fella says.

Don't ask me how I stumbled upon this video, I don't even know how tbh, but I found it curious and thought I'd share it with you, because he does say some relevant things.

GNR is my all time favorite band, I love them to death but on some cases I do think it's an overrated band - but not for the reasons he listed, though...

Since when did Broskirose start video recording his thoughts about GnR and uploading them to youtube? I was waiting for the guy to say 'dad rock/shit rock/grandpa rock/ nin is better than appetite' but it never materialized.

I've listened to a few seconds here and there on the video, but his voice and tone are very hard on the ears. Not going to sit through it. Why would anyone care what some random guy thinks of GN'R?

GNR were a great band and they did a lot of great things, but for a band with so few albums, they sure had a lot of bad songs. UYI 2 is like, half perfect, half terrible. UYI 1 has way too much boring speedrock filler. Even AFD has a few stinkers. Most of the songs on TSI had no business being written and recorded by their original bands in the first place, let alone being covered by GNR.

UYI II is half "terrible"?

It could have done without "Shotgun Blues" and GITR, but it's mostly pretty awesome, IMO.

UYI II is half "terrible"?

It could have done without "Shotgun Blues" and GITR, but it's mostly pretty awesome, IMO.

KOHD

Get in the Ring

Shotgun Blues

Breakdown

So Fine

My World

HM to Don't Cry alt. as well. Both album versions are awful compared to demo and live versions.

Edited by bacardimayne

It's hard to appreciate now the level guns turned rock on its spoilt little head in the late eighties and completely kicked ass. I was 17 in 1987 and AFD changed the rock world. Sure now u can say this track was good or that track was bad but that irrelevant. You had to experience the thing then to realise the just how big it was.

Appetite sold over 25 million albums.

They had albums debut at 1 and 2 in the same week.

They broke touring records with their concerts.

Four masterpiece albums.

Iconic songs like

Jungle

SCOM

P City

Nov Rain

Estranged

You Could Be Mine

Don't Cry

Civil War

Better

Rocketqueen

Nightrain

LALD

Heavens Door

Patience

TWAT

Not many rock bands can match that 15-song group.

Appetite sold over 25 million albums.

They had albums debut at 1 and 2 in the same week.

They broke touring records with their concerts.

Four masterpiece albums.

Iconic songs like

Jungle

SCOM

P City

Nov Rain

Estranged

You Could Be Mine

Don't Cry

Civil War

Better

Rocketqueen

Nightrain

LALD

Heavens Door

Patience

TWAT

Not many rock bands can match that 15-song group.

the majority of those songs are considered iconic only to gnr fans

Yeah but some of those songs are considered iconic not just by rock fans who aren't gnr fans but by complete non rock music lovers. That's how big they are. Most discos prob still play SCOM and PC

so are thousands of songs by rock bands...gnr aren't exclusive to that

paradise city, scom, jungle, november rain, patience and kohd are their iconic songs across the board with civil war a distant contender

no way in hell is rocket queen, better, twat, nightrain, lald, etc iconic to all---iconic to gnr fans yes, but no further

All I have to do is watch videos like this

To realize that they were not overrated.

I could watch ritz 88, and realize how incredible they were.

Look at what was around them when they came on. They brought back classic rock and made it cool again. It's not very often that a band changes the music scene, but they did it. Guns N Roses is hated by people that think their only songs were jungle and sweet child. When you discover their full catalogue you realize that this band had the best music of their generation.

Now if you want an overrated band then look at Nirvana.

nirvana is a piece of shit

Yeah but some of those songs are considered iconic not just by rock fans who aren't gnr fans but by complete non rock music lovers. That's how big they are. Most discos prob still play SCOM and PC

paradise city, scom, jungle, november rain, patience and kohd are their iconic songs across the board with civil war a distant contender

no way in hell is rocket queen, better, twat, nightrain, lald, etc iconic to all---iconic to gnr fans yes, but no further

Dang, talk about nit-picking.

I typed my post too fast and didn't go back and edit it.

Iconic songs -

Jungle is still played at thousands of sporting events a year.

SCOM, PC, Nov Rain are iconic rock songs.

Not many rock bands have 4-5 songs that are legit "iconic" type songs.

And.......AND............not many bands can put together a 15-song list like the one I mentioned for GnR.

So I apologize for leaving out a comma or extra sentence after the word Iconic. But the remaining 99.9% of the original post still stands.

In terms of album sales, rock hits, iconic songs, touring numbers, iconic members, and catalog of top songs..........there aren't very many bands that can stand on the same level as GnR. Which is especially mindblowing when you add in the fact of how few albums GnR have released.

• Like 2

Dang, talk about nit-picking.

I typed my post too fast and didn't go back and edit it.

Iconic songs -

Jungle is still played at thousands of sporting events a year.

SCOM, PC, Nov Rain are iconic rock songs.

Not many rock bands have 4-5 songs that are legit "iconic" type songs.

And.......AND............not many bands can put together a 15-song list like the one I mentioned for GnR.

So I apologize for leaving out a comma or extra sentence after the word Iconic. But the remaining 99.9% of the original post still stands.

In terms of album sales, rock hits, iconic songs, touring numbers, iconic members, and catalog of top songs..........there aren't very many bands that can stand on the same level as GnR. Which is especially mindblowing when you add in the fact of how few albums GnR have released.

I can list 50 bands off the top of my head but ... then you'll reply to it...then i'll reply...then...you get the picture ;)

we'll get nowhere and there will be the gnr diehards popping in saying gnr are the bestest eva in the history of the world EVA and so on and so forth and then somehow slash will get pissed on and then ashba...oh the horror of dj ashba!!!

Thousands ? Your glass is half empty bro mines half full. Six iconic tracks is mega for a rock band especially a proper metal band. Who else can boast that Queen, Quo, the Stones. Prob others (ZZ Top) but proper metal bands tho ? And yeah the others are more fan classics but so what that's the way it goes with any band.

Thousands ? Your glass is half empty bro mines half full. Six iconic tracks is mega for a rock band especially a proper metal band. Who else can boast that Queen, Quo, the Stones. Prob others (ZZ Top) but proper metal bands tho ? And yeah the others are more fan classics but so what that's the way it goes with any band.

bands with 6 iconic songs?

surely you can think of more than queen, stones and zz top?

and gnr are proper metal? that's news to me but que sera sera

People that say that GNR is overrated never listened to Locomotive or Rocket Queen. You're dead inside if you don't see how these are outstanding songs. Or you're trying too hard to play it "cool" and hipster.

Queens of the stone age , muse, lynryd skynyrd ( I enjoying this?) don't think any of them as big tho.

Maybe not the hardest of metals but metal of some form

I just think your under rating them by a long way no offense meant.

Queens of the stone age , muse, lynryd skynyrd ( I enjoying this) don't think any of them as big tho.

Maybe not the hardest of metals but metal of some form

I just think your under rating them by a long way no offense meant.

i'm not trying to argue...i just made a comment about those particular songs not being iconic to the mainstream...yes, they have 6 songs that have crossed over into the vernacular and any band would kill for that but to say they are one of only a few bands to do that is just blatantly untrue...there are so many---just think of the big guns alone--U2, aerosmith, stones, beatles, the who, ccr, elvis, elton john, billy joel, hell even madonna...springsteen, and on and on and on....of course being in that company is nothing to sneeze at and is something to be proud of and lauded

and fans of any band will fight for their favorite band and try to get others to see and hear what they see and hear...but not every band is for everybody

take skynyrd as an example, since you mentioned them...i can think of 6 songs immediately that are iconic across the mainstream and have stood the test of time..there might be more but I'd have to think about it....but talk to a skynyrd fan and they'll list dozens of songs that are "iconic" just like gnr fans would list coma or locomotive or *insert any other gnr song*...but just like a skynyrd song like all i can do is write about it--that may be iconic to skynyrd fans but not to the general listening public...free bird, sweet home alabama, gimme three steps--definitely iconic....