Sign in to follow this  
Muddy

Alan Niven penned article on Izzy Stradlin for Classic Rock

Their is an article on the classic rock magazine's facebook page. Alan Niven was asked to write a piece about Guns N Roses and he wrote about izzy, Before the rock n roll half of fame induction Izzy asked Axl to meet him at a hotel room in L.A to draw up an agreement that the original lineup would play together 1 more time that night, and then good bye. Axl never showed up to the meeting and after waiting 4 hours Izzy left. Its a cool read. Anyone else see this?

Edited by Muddy

Their is an article on the classic rock magazine's facebook page. Alan Niven was asked to write a piece about Guns N Roses and he wrote about izzy, Before the rock n roll half of fame induction Izzy asked Axl to meet him at a hotel room in L.A to draw up an agreement that the original lineup would play together 1 more time that night, and then good bye. Axl never showed up to the meeting and after waiting 4 hours Izzy left. Its a cool read. Anyone else see this?

post the article so we don't have to register to read. thanks.

It was all of them. Like Duff said, it could have never been anyone else. Just the 5 of them. No one else.

I do think Izzy was as important to Guns as Keef was to The Stones.

Interesting. Thanks for posting. If the bit about HoF is true, I understand why Izzy won't show up in Vegas for the residency.

inb4anotherhofdiscussion

I would like to hear some words from Izzy about the rnrhof thing
I'm pretty sure that Izzy DOESN'T CARE about this and i think Niven made this up

I'm pretty sure that Izzy DOESN'T CARE about this and i think Niven made this up

Niven hates Axl and is bitter as fuck, but most of what he said about Izzy's importance in this article is true.

Interesting. Thanks for posting. If the bit about HoF is true, I understand why Izzy won't show up in Vegas for the residency.

inb4anotherhofdiscussion

sure, it was an imitator:

• Like 2

Niven hates Axl and is bitter as fuck, but most of what he said about Izzy's importance in this article is true.

agreed, i always think it's not fair to make a living from mostly Izzy's songs in a GH tour...

It is Izzy's band and, Axl, Slash, Duff and Steven should be very grateful that Stradlin allowed them in his band.

• Like 1

Yeah, he really has it in for Axl. I'm sure Axl was/is a difficult person to work with, but it's like Izzy couldn't stand Axl from day one, if you read the article. And yet... he's still there to occasionally perform with Axl, so I guess there's not too many bad feelings there. Izzy was certainly of major importance to the band, but it's just plain stupid to act like it was HIS band. Would GNR have been as popular without Axl, Slash, Duff and even Steven ? Don't think so, it was all of them.

It's sad that every time I hear or read something by Alan Niven he can't help but bashing Axl. He seems like a bit of a bitter man.

• Like 2

Yeah, he really has it in for Axl. I'm sure Axl was/is a difficult person to work with, but it's like Izzy couldn't stand Axl from day one, if you read the article. And yet... he's still there to occasionally perform with Axl, so I guess there's not too many bad feelings there. Izzy was certainly of major importance to the band, but it's just plain stupid to act like it was HIS band. Would GNR have been as popular without Axl, Slash, Duff and even Steven ? Don't think so, it was all of them.

It's sad that every time I hear or read something by Alan Niven he can't help but bashing Axl. He seems like a bit of a bitter man.

This. All of it. Everyone contributed to the success of Guns N' Roses; and from a business standpoint, it seemed as though Axl and Slash were the ones in the front seat. I remember reading an article where Axl said that he and Slash made the decisions and then ran them by Duff to see if he was okay with it.

I think that even Axl's greatest supporters might say that he's sometimes hard to understand or work with, and perhaps occasionally air their frustrations about that, but I find it hard to believe that Izzy didn't like Axl from the get-go. The article simply seemed like a platform to bash Axl and I question the veracity of about 99% of it.

It's a pity because Niven was there at a very exciting time for the band, and probably could have written a fascinating article about that if he so chose.

• Like 1

Niven has forgotten more about Gn'R than anyone on here besides Marc Canter will ever know. He actually lived the life that we've all just read about.I enjoyed the piece. Izzy rules.

• Like 3

Izzy's importance cannot be underestimated, but of course the others also played an important role. This is why it's unacceptable to me for the band we have now to be called Guns N' Roses.

so wrong. we all know it was steven's band.

When the history of Gn'R is written not much will be said about Frank or Brain or Freese but Sorum and most importantly Adler will get his proper credit then. The dude was and will always be the true drummer for Gn'R.

An interesting read and to me, very indicative of how Axl was unquestionably a de-stabalizing force in the band, regardless of how much honest self-awareness he is capable of. Having said that, this article is also clearly the biased view of a disgruntled former employee. Niven gets satisfaction out of denying Axl all of the obvious credit that he deserves.

I think it was Izzy's b®and for a few reasons.

He was the one pushing for the image, the attitude, and the feel from day one. It was within this vision that Slash and Duff and Steven (after he hid his extra drums) became RIGHT for the band, and with them becoming right for the band that the incredible music was created pretty much equally between the 4 main writers. If Izzy hadn't had that original vision and sought to find people that fit it, I don't think GNR ever would have existed.

• Like 1

When the band was inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, Izzy set up a meeting with Axl at a L.A. Hotel. He wanted to get an agreement for the original band to play together one last time - do the fuckin' re-union there in that moment and then say “thank you, good fuckin' night.” After waiting for two hours for Axl to show, he drove home. No-show Axl had made him miserable one more fuckin' time.

That's the most fascinating part of the article to me. I'd like to hear more about that. It makes me wonder how close we actually were to a reuinion at the hall of fame. I doubted Izzy was even interested in doing a reunion.

LOL at the people saying that Niven just made this up.

You can't just make up quotes from people for an article that is going to be published.

Has Izzy spoken out publically and said that Niven is lying about him?

• Like 1