what's slash's beef now?

Hard to say for sure why Slash is now at that level. My guess is that it's more about the fact that enough time has gone by since the fallout 20 years ago and everyone has moved on.

I think because Slash has made a few attempts to still work with Axl in some kind of way and Axl just doesn't want to try to find a way to bury the hatchet between them.

Marc, people keep hoping that Duff will pave the way for Axl and Slash to reconcile, but perhaps it's more likely that Axl will reach out to you. At the very least, Duff could help him see that the classic era wasn't all bad, and maybe he'll come to like your book. Even if he's still at odds with Slash. Do you think this is possible? Or will Axl have to patch things with Slash before he could patch things with you?

Tbh, if he's friends with Duff and Izzy, I don't see why he can't be friends with you. He's now touring with them, how can he say your book is undermining nuGNR!?

I don't think Axl would reach out to me even if he somehow realized that Slash was not really to blame for what went down 20 years ago. The problem is he somehow thinks I went bad and that I betrayed him so even if he was willing to work with Slash, he may not want to deal with me anymore. I don't think he would reach out to me but if we ran into each other we would have a lot to talk about and I'm sure things would work itself out between us.

I would like to let him know that I was sorry for not talking to him directly in the end of 2006 regrading my book instead of Del and Beta who were both afraid to tell him that I found a publisher and that my book was finally coming out after 12 years of waiting. I feel that I did make a mistake by not taking care of that my self. I really thought he knew about it but at the same time didn't really want it out at that time but looked the other way because he knew how much it meant to me to get it out there. I think because it turned into a surprise when he intercepted a email that I had sent to Beta about needing Axl's help with the interviews that we were doing for the book, is when I think he felt heart that I had come that far without talking to him about it. I don't really blame him but I also think he should have cooled down 2 weeks after that and at least gave me something to use for the forward. Instead he chose not to work with us and still won't let it go.

I can't believe Beta and Del pulled that bullshit of not passing your messages on to Axl. What the fuck? I don't claim to be an insider or know them personally or anything like that but it sounds to me like they were afraid Ax would start feeling more optimistic towards the old band if he endorsed your book and they didn't wanna run the chance of a reunion cuz they know if a reunion ever does truly happen, they wouldn't have any hand in it in any way. It'd be above them

I didn't ask them to pass on the word. If I did Del would have but Beta still would not have. Del is pretty open with Axl and could talk about anything. Beta is always trying to protect him from his own shadow. If Axl was going to come over my house, Beta would call first and tell my wife "tell Marc not to talk about Slash" but a lot of the times we would because Axl used to like to vent about what was going on with what Slash had did or said around that time. I just thought that they would have told him something like "by the way I saw Canter today at the gig and he found a publisher for his book". It doesn't matter because it was my fault for not handling it myself. The truth is that it could have been a bit touchy if I took care of it and I was kind of hoping that they would have brought it up first. In the end a great piece of well documented GNR history was made available to the fans and a strong friendship was broken because of it. So I'm very proud of the book but hurt from the broken friendship.

Marc, what it really sounds like is Axl is being such a baby that it actually makes the people that "did something wrong" rethink their actions and those people start believing they actually did something wrong. Its like Axl's so mad that he actually makes you think you're at fault, when really he is just being a child. The guy is 50+ fucking years old. Its amazing how he's still as sensitive as any 17 year old boy would be. It sounds like you have nothing to be blamed for and that Axl is using the same excuse he's been using since 1991 ("I didn't know all this was going on"). Ironically it actually sounds like that defense applies more to you than it does to him in this scenario.

I still should have talked to him myself. So I still have to take some of the blame. The book coming out was a big deal and I should have talked to him about it.

• Like 1

Maybe you should have spoken to him about it, but imo not doing so isn't a big enough transgression to cut off a longterm friend forever. The book was 12 years in the making, how could it have been that much of a suprise?

Anyway, I really thought that Axl being frendly with Duff would be good for you, but it sounds like Axl (with the help of others) has you firmly on the blacklist. Shame. Especially as it's over your book, something so good and so important to you.

Edited by Babooshka

Maybe you should have spoken to him about it, but imo not doing so isn't a big enough transgression to cut off a longterm friend forever. The book was 12 years in the making, how could it have been that much of a suprise?

Anyway, I really thought that Axl being frendly with Duff would be good for you, but it sounds like Axl (with the help of others) has you firmly on the blacklist. Shame. Especially as it's over your book, something so good and so important to you.

the book had a great promotional intro at top end book stores where it was presented quite prominently

If I ever did something of significance, I would only hope someone would care enough to chronicle it as thoroughly as your book did GnR. I'm not Axl and I don't know where his head is, but he could at least man up enough to admit you did something no one he could ever hire would be capable of. And it was all a labor of love.

There is a lot more to it. For one thing I'm sure he would have wanted to have more of a voice in the book. One of the problems is I think Axl is more of a black or white person with no room for gray. So the book coming out at a time thats not good for him means he is not going to help and fuck me because I couldn't get the publisher to hold it back any longer. Although it also could have been 20 years before he could have maybe allowed me to put it out. I already waited 12 years which was nuts after putting all that work into it and not getting it out there for the fans to enjoy. We will never really know how that would have worked.

It sucks for me it sucks for Axl for many different reasons and it sucks for the fans that would have heard what he would have had to say. Also he would have help spread the word about the book so more fans would know about it which was my goal for putting it out in the first place.

Marc, i think your very 1st goal was to finish the book and get it out to the fans. and you've achieved that!!!
thanks a lot for all the work regarding the book. the missing Axl promotion only would have been the little ice on the top but not the basics. to have the rise of such a huge band (1985-1993) documentated sooooo detailed with pics, audio and video(!!) is such a great gift for us!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just be proud you got the book out. Even reached here in the Philippines, and as I said before, Slash was impressed it was here and with your signature! LOL!

That said, why not call Duff secretly, tell him to try help you mend things with Axl?

I get the impression Duff wants nothing to do with mending fences for other people and Axl

I think their relationship is strictly professional in terms of its fun to play shows together... I really doubt Axl and Duff hang out or talk on the phone now

Have you been in touch with Duff since he and Axl reconnected? Everybody talks about Duff being the catalyst for Slash and Axl to speak; perhaps he could help Axl realize your intentions were never malicious? Axl seems a bit happier from a fan perspective so perhaps he would be willing to talk again? Hell, even Slash who is the face of evil has a chance to clear the air with Axl if he is willing to publicly apologize for what Axl perceives is wrong doings. There has to be something you can do as well? Or, I would hope. I do agree you aren't biased at all. You are very honest about both Slash and Axl's good and bad qualities, for lack of better words..

Well, just be proud you got the book out. Even reached here in the Philippines, and as I said before, Slash was impressed it was here and with your signature! LOL!

That said, why not call Duff secretly, tell him to try help you mend things with Axl?

I get the impression Duff wants nothing to do with mending fences for other people and Axl

I think their relationship is strictly professional in terms of its fun to play shows together... I really doubt Axl and Duff hang out or talk on the phone now

Maybe, but when Duff mentions Axl in his twitter he calls Axl "brother". And in the recent Revolver Magazine interview Axl said that he and Duff shared memories/stories of things that took place during the UYI tour when they reunited for the S.A. tour this year. That doesn´t sound like their relationship is stricly professional.

Until Axl realizes that I meant him no harm, there is no point in calling him. The last time we talked on the phone in 2008, it didn't go very well. I didn't get one word in and he was not the Axl that I knew. In all the years that I knew him, he never got upset at me before. It hurt me to go though that and I would rather not do it again until he understands what I'm doing is the right thing and that I'm the one who still sticks up for him when needed.

Also until Slash and him clear the air, he sees me as a Slash supporter only and is not able to see that I'm the same guy that I always was which is right in the middle between both of them. I know what both sides want and know that there is a middle. He is not able to see that and for that reason he is upset with me and thats that.

If I could go back in time to 1994 when he was so proud of the work that I put together, and told him what was going to happen between us when the book comes out, There would be no way that he would believe it. unfortunately his perceptive on things changed and I took the hit for it. There is nothing I can do about it. I will always remember our friendship and will always be here for him when he is ready to continue it.

Congratulations on being the way you are because this is the right way to be. Axl Rose is not a God of the Universe (even though some people made him believe he is) who should have people begging on their knees for his friendship. No one should drag themselves to be considered his friend....

So hard to deal with those big egos, makes you wonder if real friendship ever was there, or was it just a matter of "agree on everything with me and we will be friends, if you don't, you're gone." Not worth it.

Marc, what about someone like Craig Duswalt putting out a book?? Do you think Axl will do the same and cut him out?? I guess he would, mainly because his book is nonsense, tabloid type stories/fodder, where as, yours is more of a historic account of the bands beginnings, and, yours is a much more important book about GnR.

I would have thought Axl could see the significance of Reckless Road and how its not meant to take advantage of their success. Craigs book is clearly a cash grab. That I can see Axl being pissed off at.

Marc, I realise this is none of my business, but having read what you wrote above and seeing that you care a lot about Axl and intend no harm, is there any harm in attempting to contact Axl again to try and tell him personally what you regret? Seeing as things are already on poor terms and you have concerns that he may have cut you out permanently, surely there is nothing to lose? If you don't try then things will stay the same as they are but if you do then maybe there's a small chance you'll get through to him. Your words sound very genuine and maybe he will respect that.

Ryan

I promote my work and Axl doesn't want me doing that and doesn't want to hang out with people that don't share his point of view regarding Slash. Maybe some day he will change his mind but I'm going to let him have his space. He knows where I stand and knows the reasons that I do what I do and where to find me if he would like too. I wish him the best and I'm not going to push it. We had a lot of history together and for now we will just have to hang on to that and remember the good times.

Edited by recklessroad
  • Like 2

Tom Leykis just talked about Canters for 10 minutes on the show with Gary & Dino from the show - mostly about the desserts, but they brought Slash up and a quick mention of the book.

I remember Tom Leykis! I'm amazed he's still alive. He was one of the worst radio personalities ever! So many pauses while talking and I always thought it was funny how he tried to give advice on how to get chicks when he's this big fat, disgusting blob

I promote my work and Axl doesn't want me doing that and doesn't want to hang out with people that don't share his point of view. Maybe some day he will change his mind but I'm going to let him have his space. He knows where I stand and knows the reasons that I do what I do and where to find me if he would like too. I wish him the best and I'm not going to push it. We had a lot of history together and for now we will just have to hang on to that and remember the good times.

I´m sure Izzy and Duff don´t share Axl´s point of view on many issues. Yet Axl has a good relationship with them. Maybe you and Axl could try to find the things you both agree or thing both of you have in common.

Why you people insist on having other people beggin' friendship to Axl?

Same thing happens with Slash..... Man, I admire these guys integrity and confidence in not begging anything to anyone. The moment you drag yourself for a bit of friendship is the moment you lose all respect for yourself and even that person you want so much in your life, also sees you as a loser and totally not worth it.

If you only want friends so they can worship you and agree with you on everything, then you have no clue what friendship is.

An actual friend is someone who will tell you when you're wrong.

Hired yes-men and sycophants who have ulterior motives (Tobias, Del, Beta, DJ) will always agree with Axl, no matter what he says. They'll keep telling him he's right and that he's incapable of doing anything wrong. Those aren't friends.

But clearly, that's what Axl wants.

Craig worked for Axl and had no business putting out a book. There is no chance in hell that Axl and him are on talking terms.

Hey Marc, I just finished reading Duswalt's book. Did you ever have any interaction with him? Something about him rubs me the wrong way.