1987 Metal Hammer review on AFD

In the northern summer of 1987, the British journalist DAVE LING reviewed the then recently released 'Appetite For Destruction' for the English edition of the magazine METAL HAMMER, and by the way, was not very impresse.

1354720171_appetitefordestruction.jpg

The dreaded Los Angeles quintet releases its debut album. With a pinch of Hanoi (Rocks), a little (Johnny) Thunders and a portion of Aerosmith, which Guns N 'Roses is bringing has very little to do with the 80. Everything starts with the magnificent' Welcome to the Jungle ', summarizing the whole area and the squalor of the entire catalog of Aerosmith in four pulsating minutes. The guitars scream for attention and W. Axl Rose spits lyrics with more than just a resemblance to Steven Tyler.

'Jungle' is a good start but except for 'Paradise City' (surely the bastard son of 'Train Kept a Rollin'), there is much to increase levels of arousal. From 'It's So Easy', things get extremely predictable.

The letters GN'R satisfied perpetuating the essential theme of off-the-law of rock n 'roll (' Out Ta Get Me '), binge (' Night Train ') . There is a really classic verse in 'Mr. Brownstone 'saying' I Get Up around seven / I get out of bed around nine ', which pretty much sums up the attitude of the band towards life.

Two great tracks and some decent ideas are not a great record. If GN'R serious about bringing the blues 80 pros, then they need to forget 70. What they are doing here is no different from 'Rocks' or 'Draw The Line' and honestly, not as good.

DAVE LING

Edited by auad
  • Like 1

Nope, it was not me the one who posted the article. It's all your job. It would be easier to find the original article in English than to translate from Portuguese to English, a supposedly English article. It's interesting anyway, good job :)

This is from a 2003 interview with David Ling:

What has been your most embarrassing moment?
Writing a poor review of Guns N' Roses debut album, `Appetite For Destruction', in Metal Hammer. I felt it was patchy and unoriginal when compared to existing names like Aerosmith and Cinderella. I've since revised that opinion - given the way it's still played in clubs I had no bloody choice - though I still consider Guns N' Roses to be one of the most overrated bands around.

• Like 1

Everybody has an opinion.

Not everybody has to like and love everything that I like and love.

His opinion is just as valid as mine or as anybody else's.

With that said......I disagree with him 100%.

Appetite blew away everything else that was out at the same time. And is one of the 10 best rock albums of all time.

In my opinion.

• Like 1

This is from a 2003 interview with David Ling:

What has been your most embarrassing moment?

Writing a poor review of Guns N' Roses debut album, `Appetite For Destruction', in Metal Hammer. I felt it was patchy and unoriginal when compared to existing names like Aerosmith and Cinderella. I've since revised that opinion - given the way it's still played in clubs I had no bloody choice - though I still consider Guns N' Roses to be one of the most overrated bands around.

this.

Overrated is when critics or the record label heap praise on what's really an unlistenable album but the public is duped into buying it.

If the general public loves something and continues to love it, I don't see how it can be called overrated.