Iron Maides's lead vocalist thinks punk is rubbish

Rovim

East Bay Ray can fucking play. Just saying.

Anyone who says punk musicians can't play should listen to The Clash and Dead Kennedys. I am sure someone can help me out and name more bands.

Minutemen

Black Flag

Suicide

Television

X

Edited by Sixes

Amusingly there are "metal" bands that basically embody punk and "punk" bands that basically embody either metal, classic rock, surf music or whatever...dumb, generic tags don't really help, they just enflame (see shitock, dadrock, buttrock, and the all pervasive haircut rock)

It's a stupid mentality that dictates you have to be either punk or metal or x or z etc.

Like how "punk" somehow equates to not being able to play your instrument or sing properly, or the myriad of "metal" stereotypes.

Following those guidelines I'd have had to beat myself to death years ago.

• Like 1

It's all just different sounds that clash together and you decide if it makes you feel good or you turn it off.

Trying to label music is just an ocd thing humans must do. We organize shit. It has no real purpose or meaning. It's still a bunch of sounds that got manipulated to make you feel something. Just like a name of a person doesn't really matter to me, the name of the genre doesn't matter as well. I'll decide if I like it based on how it sounds.

• Like 1

East Bay Ray can fucking play. Just saying.

Anyone who says punk musicians can't play should listen to The Clash and Dead Kennedys. I am sure someone can help me out and name more bands.

Minutemen

Black Flag

Suicide

Television

X

Can't believe I forgot Television. Those guys were skilled. I've heard Johnny Ramone was a talented guitar player, but he chose the simple chords because it was better for the songs.

Misfits were great too. I think the secret to a great punk song other than lyrics is in the rhythm section.

• Like 1

He totally misunderstood punk as a genre

He confused punks and punk (rock), lol

Meh, Bruce is/was a grat singer but he is wrong with this one.

His parents were wrong.

I hope Powerage banned your ass :lol::lol:
Consider it banned :popcorn:

Honestly, I can't really defend Bruce on this one - it's a just plain ignorant statement.

• Like 2

There needs to be another punk movement. Not the pop punk crap that dominated the 2000's. We need bands that say "fuck you" to the music industry and sell records. Billie Joe Armstrong drunk at the Hall of Fame was one of the most rock and roll moments I've seen in years. He should do that more.

Amusingly there are "metal" bands that basically embody punk and "punk" bands that basically embody either metal, classic rock, surf music or whatever...dumb, generic tags don't really help, they just enflame (see shitock, dadrock, buttrock, and the all pervasive haircut rock)

It's a stupid mentality that dictates you have to be either punk or metal or x or z etc.

Like how "punk" somehow equates to not being able to play your instrument or sing properly, or the myriad of "metal" stereotypes.

Following those guidelines I'd have had to beat myself to death years ago.

i owe you a like :lol: i think this rivalry is basically stuck with the old men that were there when these movements were started. punk and metal have been mixed for almost 4 decades now. every time this comes up on a metal form it seems the vast majority of posts talk about how they like punk and metal music. im not a huge punk fan but i love the misfits and the ramones. im also a massive fan of discharge.

There needs to be another punk movement. Not the pop punk crap that dominated the 2000's. We need bands that say "fuck you" to the music industry and sell records. Billie Joe Armstrong drunk at the Hall of Fame was one of the most rock and roll moments I've seen in years. He should do that more.

Guns N' Roses should have inducted Green Day into the Hall of Fame.

The early punk scene did not transition well in to the hardcore scene. The art school movement and co. had pretty much moved on by the time the metal resurgence was happening, those who straggled behind pretty much laughed at it, and were uncomfortable around the hardcore scene.
It was the second gen (late 70's) contingent who were more open to broader horizons and took wholeheartedly to hardcore, thereby changing the face of the underground scene.
80'S metal was part and parcel of that new movement, it made perfect sense to a large faction of both scenes.
Yeah there were the Dickinson and Steve Harris blockhead mentalities towards it (who completely missed the correlation), but to the average kid on the street, they found the cool shit, it was there for the taking, on both sides.

Personally, I wouldn't trade one of my punk or hardcore albums for anything by Samson, but hey...to each his own.

The greatest resistance to punk, hardcore and 80's metal I ever witnessed came from classic rock fans.

• Like 3

Guns N' Roses should have inducted Green Day into the Hall of Fame.
The Skin Flute Hall of Fame, maybe.

Guest Len B'stard
at least you have seen a metaller, punkers have been on the endangered species list since 1980. you know your genre is fucked when its big "comeback" consisted of blink 182 and avril lavigne :P

Punk never had a comeback, punk was a bullet, short, sharp and deadly and when it's done it's done. As opposed to metal, which never even fuckin' arrived much less made a comeback...because it was too shit to speak to any great number of people and too impotent to warrant the sort of attention punk did. Metallers are just happy in their own sty, they never challenged or affected anything, just leave em in their little corner to make noise amongst themselves and get on with your own lives, punk got attention cuz it had something relevant to say.

in all seriousness though it is fun to bust each others balls about this stuff.

I totally agree and this is the basis upon which i do this stuff most of the time, it's just a laugh. It is true I don't get or like metal but i don't genuinely hold anything against you for being a smelly bastard with nits whoose house smells of stale cigarettes and the unemployed, it's just a bit of a giggle, it's fun. I don't find it gets in the way of anything as long as you bear that in mind and don't start thinking this shit should dictate how the music comes out sounding.

plus metal vs punk isnt really a rivalry, you cant have a rivalry between a hammer and a nail :P

A hammer, yes, thats actually a great analogy, heavy, dense, thick, yeah, a hammers a good analogy, i like that :lol:

Eh, I don't give a shit. Iron Maiden is in my top 3 bands of all time. Bruce is probably the best metal singer of all time in my opinion. He was never a punk fan and neither am I. He's metal through thick and thin and that's fine with me.

But actually the hate for all metal that some of you portray here actually enrages me. I'm sure those of you who blindly hate it have never listened to real metal but whatever. To each his own.