Would Guns open for anyone?

Old Guns have opened for bigger bands in the past, but would Axl do it again maybe for a Stadium tour?

I would love the idea of having guns do a major stadium tour and open for a bigger band like the Stones, Aerosmith, Sir Paul, Metallica, ect...

But could Axl's ego handle it?

Axl and the band were supposed to open for the Stones in Europe around 2006-2007, but Keith got injured and the show was cancelled. I doubt he'd open for anyone else. He's a headliner act as far as he's concerned.

stones

Axl and the band were supposed to open for the Stones in Europe around 2006-2007, but Keith got injured and the show was cancelled. I doubt he'd open for anyone else. He's a headliner act as far as he's concerned.

Stadium tours generally suck unless they're making it effects heavy or it's a festival.

I wouldn't mind GNR doing a tour of baseball stadiums and booking shows after a game.

I think it depended on who asked him that was a huge GNR fan. If Lady Gaga asked him if GNR could support her tour? It's probably so ridiculous of an idea that he'd agree to it.

I don't think they would ever open for a young band...

Never. Besides no bands that came after gnr could honestly follow them on stage. Even the current line up, they are too good, it would put way too much pressure on the headlining act. Even bands like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden couldn't follow NUgnr on stage. They are just too big and powerful of a band. Even older bands like the Stones and Aerosmith would have trouble headlining over NUgnr. As far as classic gnr goes, hell The Stones and Aerosmith should open for them :)

• Like 2

If GnR toured with Metallica again, they would.

It would have to be alternating headlining duty in order for it to work. Same goes for all the classic bands. I love Van Halen, and remember hearing about a potential Van Halen/NUgnr tour a few years back. I would say that would also be alternating headlining. My reasoning is simple. Say NUgnr are the opening act, and Axl and his band are on absolute fire that show. Metallica, Ozzy, Sabbath, Van Halen, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and whomever else you name will probably come up short that night, then they would have to deal with the fact that NUgnr just blew them off the stage. Which as a headliner, you NEVER want. But if it was alternating, that takes that pressure away, because if Axl is on, then the next show he is headelining anyways, so it doesn't matter.

I tell you all, I saw Van Halen and NUgnr at the same venue about 2 months apart a couple of years ago, and there is no way DLR could follow Axl everynight, he just couldn't do it. Axl (yes 2014 Axl) would upstage him most nights. Why as a headliner would you do that to yourself? But if they rotated, then it's all good.

I understand why a NUgnr/Stones shows might have happened, because Axl does really look up to Mick. So they might be the one exception, but thats pretty much it.

I wouldn't want to see them opening. What for ? Aren't opening acts usually young bands that are given the chance to show themselves to a larger audience ?

I could maybe see them co-headlining, but I would rather just have them as the only headliner.

• Like 1

Have you guys considered that a lot of crowds of the bands you named would be quite hostile to any version of GnR sans Slash? I think Axl has build quite a large niche fanbase for himself and wants to keep it like this. I think he doesn't want to put up with the animosity he could get while performing as a opening act for Metallica/Aerosmith/Stones etc. with his "hired hands". Most of these crowds still see him as an arrogant douchebag responsible for breaking up the classic GN'R.

I don't think they would ever open for a young band...

Never. Besides no bands that came after gnr could honestly follow them on stage. Even the current line up, they are too good, it would put way too much pressure on the headlining act. Even bands like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden couldn't follow NUgnr on stage. They are just too big and powerful of a band. Even older bands like the Stones and Aerosmith would have trouble headlining over NUgnr. As far as classic gnr goes, hell The Stones and Aerosmith should open for them :)

BS! Bands like Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, NIN, etc could all easily follow nu GnR. Dave Grohl has the crowds in the palm of his hands. So does Eddie Vedder. NIN is a spectacle that GnR could only dream to match. And then to suggest the Stones or Aerosmith would have trouble following nu GnR? How do some of you even believe the stuff you type?

Edited by Bono
  • Like 3

Old Guns have opened for bigger bands in the past, but would Axl do it again maybe for a Stadium tour?

I would love the idea of having guns do a major stadium tour and open for a bigger band like the Stones, Aerosmith, Sir Paul, Metallica, ect...

But could Axl's ego handle it?

I can't see it.

That Stones thing in '06 was a one time thing. Or would have been, if it happened.

Metallica/GN'R would not work these days. Metallica fans would be disruptive during GN'R's set. They are my favorite two bands but some metal heads get restless during ballads & piano solos.

I love them both too but go to any Metallica show. Aside from Metallica tees, there's almost as many GN'R t shirts on than for Sabbath, Megadeth etc.