"Appetite For Destruction wins Best Album of All Time If We're Honest"

Appetite For Destruction wins Best Album of All Time If We're Honest
26-06-14

GUNS N’ Roses’ debut album has been named the greatest album ever by a judging panel tired of lying to themselves.

slash-250x400.jpg

Playing a single riff that’s better than the complete works of The Beatles

Appetite For Destruction, first released in 1987, has never won any Grammys or Ivor Novello awards but is, everyone might as well admit, far superior to anything that has.

Judge Helen Archer, part of a panel of industry executives and senior journalists, said: “We were talking about OK Computer, Highway 61 Revisited, Revolver, Astralfucking Weeks, all that unbearable crap, sick to our stomachs about what we’d become.

“One night, after a particularly difficult session of pretending to appreciate Kraftwerk, we hit the beers, then six bottles of Jack and a whole lot of cigarettes.

“The last thing I remember was air-soloing to Paradise City, though apparently after I’d blacked out I smashed every other album with a hammer and got this sweet G ‘N’ R tattoo.”

The general public greeted the award with nods of recognition and the admission that all other albums only exist to clear the palate between plays of this one.

Music fan Tom Logan said: “Personally, I feel the best album of all time is Miles Davis’s Bitches’ Brew.

“It’s innovative, challenges your expectations, doesn’t begin with a killer guitar riff and an unearthly scream, doesn’t tell cool posers to just fuck off and actually it’s shit isn’t it?

“Appetite forever.”

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/appetite-for-destruction-wins-best-album-of-all-time-if-were-honest-2014062688000

Daily Mash is a parody news sites in the same vein as The Onion, think they've excelled themselves with this one :P

Edited by Amir
  • Like 1

Im gonna laugh at non brits who take this seriously

Maybe it is joke, but it is partially true. Is Appetite the best album ever made??? Who the fuck knows??? Ask 20 people, get 20 different answers. Do I think it's the best album ever made? Best hard rock/metal album easily. As much as I love Zeppelin and other bands, as a whole Appetite IS better than anything Zeppelin, Sabbath, Van Halen, Metallica, Hendrix, and many more ever produced. I do think that.

We like to scoff about popularity around here, you hear things like "Record sales don't matter" blah blah blah. But my rebuttle to that is most of the "greatest" musicians of all time reached a very WIDE audience. Their music crossed genres, audiences, race, etc. So I don't know how sales can't be a BIG part of that discussion. it's not the only part, but it is a big part. The album also has to be good if not great from start to finish, it has to deliver the goods. Therefore IMO I feel 3 albums do in fact stand out above all others. They are not my personal favs, but all 3 of them are real high marks in the history of recorded music. All three are very different also. IMO the three best albums ever recorded are: (in no order) Darkside of the moon, Thriller, and Appetite.

All three of them have a flow and consistency to them, that even the mighty Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Hendrix never quite matched. Plus all three of them solid a fucking shit load. Many MJ fans like to argue that Off The Wall, History, or Dangerous were better than Thriller. But come on... 50 million albums solid is a crazy number that will probably never be reached again. Besides the only MJ album that flows better than Thriller is Off The Wall, but OTW doesn't reach the heights musically that Thriller does.

Same goes for Pink Floyd. I personally prefer Animals and Wish you were here over Darkside, but as a whole Darkside is just plain better.

So if you want to break them into catagories, Thriller is the best Pop album of all time, Darkside is the best Prog rock/psychadelic/concept album of all time, and Appetite is the best hard rock/metal album of all time.

Again this is just my opinion, but really name a better album in any of those genre's than those 3. You can try.... But come on... Darkside shits out Sgt Pepper and anything by Hendrix (which I love Hendrix and The Beatles).

Right on Mike! Couldn't have said it better myself. Those who say the Beatles are the best in every regard need to remember that they were basically just like justin bieber, nothing more than a glorified boyband.

:facepalm:

• Like 1

Just to add to what I said earlier, Nevermind the Bullocks is the best Punk album of all time. That's for Len :) but it really is isn't it? You can through genre's and find one album that stands out above the rest. Robert Johnson's complete recordings is the best blues album.

Again I love The Beatles, they are probably the best band ever, with Zeppelin as the best hard rock band band ever. But that doesn't mean they produced the best album of their genre. Most "experts" say Zeppelin 4 is their best album (and I do like Zeppelin as a band better than gnr) but Appetite is better than Zeppelin 4 imo. I actually don't like Zeppelin 4 all that much, I mean its a great album for sure. But I would MUCH rather listen to Appetite over Zep 4. Plus the only "hit" on Zep 4 that's better than anything on Appetite is Stairway. But the rest of the album gnr wins imo. Jungle eats Black Dog, Paradise City owns Rock and Roll, Rocket Queen destroys When the levee breaks, and Mr. Brownstone devours Misty Mountain Hop.

Again I love Zeppelin, they are my #1 band. But Appetite IS the better album.

Maybe it is joke, but it is partially true. Is Appetite the best album ever made??? Who the fuck knows??? Ask 20 people, get 20 different answers. Do I think it's the best album ever made? Best hard rock/metal album easily. As much as I love Zeppelin and other bands, as a whole Appetite IS better than anything Zeppelin, Sabbath, Van Halen, Metallica, Hendrix, and many more ever produced. I do think that.

We like to scoff about popularity around here, you hear things like "Record sales don't matter" blah blah blah. But my rebuttle to that is most of the "greatest" musicians of all time reached a very WIDE audience. Their music crossed genres, audiences, race, etc. So I don't know how sales can't be a BIG part of that discussion. it's not the only part, but it is a big part. The album also has to be good if not great from start to finish, it has to deliver the goods. Therefore IMO I feel 3 albums do in fact stand out above all others. They are not my personal favs, but all 3 of them are real high marks in the history of recorded music. All three are very different also. IMO the three best albums ever recorded are: (in no order) Darkside of the moon, Thriller, and Appetite.

All three of them have a flow and consistency to them, that even the mighty Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Hendrix never quite matched. Plus all three of them solid a fucking shit load. Many MJ fans like to argue that Off The Wall, History, or Dangerous were better than Thriller. But come on... 50 million albums solid is a crazy number that will probably never be reached again. Besides the only MJ album that flows better than Thriller is Off The Wall, but OTW doesn't reach the heights musically that Thriller does.

Same goes for Pink Floyd. I personally prefer Animals and Wish you were here over Darkside, but as a whole Darkside is just plain better.

So if you want to break them into catagories, Thriller is the best Pop album of all time, Darkside is the best Prog rock/psychadelic/concept album of all time, and Appetite is the best hard rock/metal album of all time.

Again this is just my opinion, but really name a better album in any of those genre's than those 3. You can try.... But come on... Darkside shits out Sgt Pepper and anything by Hendrix (which I love Hendrix and The Beatles).

Based on your NBA comparisons, I thought you were going to compare Appetite to Talk Dirty To Me. That's about the same level as pairing up Russell and Grant!!!

But on a serious note, I pretty much agree with all of what you posted.

Greatest HARD ROCK album, sure. But that's about it.

Just to add to what I said earlier, Nevermind the Bullocks is the best Punk album of all time. That's for Len :) but it really is isn't it? You can through genre's and find one album that stands out above the rest. Robert Johnson's complete recordings is the best blues album.

Again I love The Beatles, they are probably the best band ever, with Zeppelin as the best hard rock band band ever. But that doesn't mean they produced the best album of their genre. Most "experts" say Zeppelin 4 is their best album (and I do like Zeppelin as a band better than gnr) but Appetite is better than Zeppelin 4 imo. I actually don't like Zeppelin 4 all that much, I mean its a great album for sure. But I would MUCH rather listen to Appetite over Zep 4. Plus the only "hit" on Zep 4 that's better than anything on Appetite is Stairway. But the rest of the album gnr wins imo. Jungle eats Black Dog, Paradise City owns Rock and Roll, Rocket Queen destroys When the levee breaks, and Mr. Brownstone devours Misty Mountain Hop.

Again I love Zeppelin, they are my #1 band. But Appetite IS the better album.

Nevermind>NMTB from the Sex Pistols.

Is AFD the "best album of all time"? That's sort of impossible to answer, it's almost cliche at this point but: how do you define best? AFD is by leaps and bounds my favorite album, I would pick it over anything else without feeling too bad. That's what music's impact is about, not whose is best, but what the listener finds best for themselves.

Those who say the Beatles are the best in every regard need to remember that they were basically just like justin bieber, nothing more than a glorified boyband.

Uh, this is exactly when GnR fans become a laughing stock outside of these boards. Never cross this line, people.

Edited by Bruno P.
  • Like 1

Based on your NBA comparisons, I thought you were going to compare Appetite to Talk Dirty To Me. That's about the same level as pairing up Russell and Grant!!!

Russell and Grant??? When did I do that???

Oh come on man, you gotta give me more credit than that..... Appetite and Talk dirty??? Really??? Obviously Talk dirty wins hands down!!! Not even close... :P

Edited by Mike420