Axl vs Slash, something we don't know?

Marc,

After 20 years of following the feud between Axl n Slash, I just have to ask if you think the hate comes from something that nobody knows off apart from the 2 of them or their clsest associates?

In all these years I read so many topics, interviews, books and as someone pointed out on a topic in this forum, I just can't seem to figure out where this hate comes from, especially considering things had been patched up between Axl and the rest of the members he forced out.

Especially considering he forced Slash out and not vice versa!

I mean he was sued by almost all ex members and has no problem playing or talking to them.

In the 20 years, Slash has never really said anything insulting or humiliating as Axl did and still he seems to be much more bitter than Slash.

He had a problem with Slash coming to his show, kicked out fans wearing Slash memorabilia, he called Slash a cancer, still he says life is too short for patching things up with Slash!?

Most of the things Slash ever said was reconciliating.

Still Axl believes what he wants to believe. He has known Slash long before he decided to hire lawyers, a psychotherapist and managers for advice. If Slash were a bad guy he would´ve figured that out by himself back in the 80s.

shotsfired cro:

Axl forced Slash out of the band? That sounds like Axl had a deliberate plan of getting rid of Slash and not just that Slash quit out of frustration and because he wanted something else, which is what I have always thought. So you know something I don't?

As for Slash never saying anything insulting or humiliating, well that's not really true, is it? I am not defending Axl's strong emotions towards Slash, but there has been critical remarks, insults, japes, and criticism in both directions (i.e. contents of lawsuits, Slash being negative to Axl's music (calling it shit and piano-shit), the alleged comments to ICP, Slash calling Axl a "pain in the ass", "a kid with a tantrum", "self-indulgent", "self-centered", "offensive", "villainesque", "selfish" and "inconsiderate", publicly describing Axl as having blown-out reactions, "obsessiveness", and talking about his "craziness", as well as bashing Axl's friend Paul -- I think most of these comments from Slash are pretty accurate, but I also think Axl's hostility originates partly from Slash being so honest about Axl in the media).

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

Slash himself admitted criticising Axl:

When Velvet Revolver started, Duff and I did an international press tour to promote the record, and everybody was coming at me with Guns N' Roses' questions because I hadn't really addressed the issues. I was like a cornered animal; anything that came out of my mouth was an attack on Axl and that sparked more animosity.

Again, I don't think anything Slash has said publicly in any way defends Axl's over-the-top hostility towards Slash, but saying that Slash has never said anything bad towards Axl is completely ignorant. Compared to the other guys, only Steven can rival Slash's comments. Both Izzy and Duff has been able to hold their tongues (for the most part), and are now cool with Axl. The thing is, Axl gets really emotional about criticism - and he has got a lot from Slash. I am not saying Slash shouldn't be frank about the situation, I am just trying to explain why it is what it is. In addition I also think Slash has been even more critical about Axl to people not in the media and that this has reached Axl's ears (like what he allegedly said to ICP).

• Like 1

A lot of musicians has said bad things about Axl. And Axl has said bad thing about them. That includes Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven. Just read the RIP Magazine intreview from 1992. And several intereviews after that one.

The thing is that Axl could get over it in some cases but not with Slash.

A lot of musicians has said bad things about Axl. And Axl has said bad thing about them. That includes Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven. Just read the RIP Magazine intreview from 1992. And several intereviews after that one.

As I said earlier, no other band member except Steven has been as critical towards Axl as Slash has been.

As I said earlier, no other band member except Steven has been as critical towards Axl as Slash has been.

Izzy in a 2001 interview called Axl "a fuckin monster, crazy, nuts" He even went to say things like Axl never got laid when in school. And that Axl wanted control and wanted everyone under contract. He said he was not happy when Axl asked him to sign a contract because Axl wanted to lower his status in the band when he was also a founding member. Sorry dude, all of them have said really bad things about Axl not only Slash.

• Like 1

Indifferent

Axl hates Slash because Slash is the only ex-member with a same ego as Axl got

• Like 1

Izzy in a 2001 interview called Axl "a fuckin monster, crazy, nuts" He even went to say things like Axl never got laid when in school. And that Axl wanted control and wanted everyone under contract. He said he was not happy when Axl asked him to sign a contract because Axl wanted to lower his status in the band when he was also a founding member. Sorry dude, all of them have said really bad things about Axl not only Slash.

You are not grasping what I am saying. I am NOT saying that they haven't said bad things about Axl, I am saying that they haven't said AS MUCH bad things as Slash.

You are not grasping what I am saying. I am NOT saying that they haven't said bad things about Axl, I am saying that they haven't said AS MUCH bad things as Slash.

There is no lesser evil here. Some have talked more often than others. But there is no diffence in what has been said

There is no lesser evil here. Some have talked more often than others. But there is no diffence in what has been said

Are you saying that through some extraordinary coincidence the criticisms they have levied against Axl have been exactly equal in strength?

I think besides the fact they had their differences and Axl blames Slash for all the lost years, I think Axl was told that Slash is a bad guy by people he hired and paid for their advice and still really believes it to be true.

I'm glad that Duff and Axl are friends again but Slash and Duff both tell the same story about many of the things that went wrong including the signing over the rights to the GNR name but only Slash is the lier? It doesn't make much sense to me at this point in time. As far as I'm concerned it should have all blown over no matter what happened about 10 years ago. The past is the past and time should have healed that shit. Life is too short to waste so much time with hate especially when there is a lot of miscommunication about the facts. It would be a lot healthier to get to the bottom of it if you ask me.

craig duswalt indicates there is a specific thing?

“Slash wanted to do more hard rock stuff and Axl wanted to do more ballads, rock ballads. There was that difference, but there was [also] a specific thing that happened that both of them are at odds over.”

you have any insight on what he's talking about?

Are you saying that through some extraordinary coincidence the criticisms they have levied against Axl have been exactly equal in strength?

You have 4 guys saying pretty much the same thing. And damn right they are! Axl never was Mr. nice guy about a lot of things regarding the band. It is Axl who has the mood swings. It is Axl who wanted control over the name and everything. It was Axl the one who was 2 hours late or more. It was Axl the one who would leave the stage in the middle of a show. It was Axl the one who brought Paul Tobias without consulting with his band mates. At some point everyone said enough is enough and they left the band. Oh! But Axl has the nerve to blame and hate Slash.

You have 4 guys saying pretty much the same thing.

No, far from it when you factor in the amount of times they have criticised and the content of the criticism (like Slash bashing Axl's piano-music and Paul Tobias, which I assume will be extra hard for Axl) and the number of times Slash has been critical towards Axl in the press).

And how Axl always says nice things about Slash in the press too! Amirite?

The differences in their general personalities could be gleamed from how they attack each other in the press: Slash's more subtleand passive-aggressive japes that suggest a general resentment about how it ended and his overall supposedly precise criticisms of Axl's many flaws, versus Axl's very explicit, emotional, rabid and completely over-the-top attacks which are hard to understand.

• Like 1

Marc - you obviously were caught in the middle of the Axl / Slash feud for quite some time. I would guess at some point your answer to both would have simply been to have them simply talk about their issues face to face. Was that ever close to happening? Did you ever offer to facilitate a meeting? Maybe you have answered this but I still think the only way this stand off ends is if they somehow end up in a situation where they are forced to talk. They both have to realize they are pissing away such huge opportunity. Both have been successful but nothing like they could experience if they would simply ditch their egos and simply clear the air. It likely isn't that simple but probably not as hard as they are making it....