Your Slash favourites

Lio

Thanks to the new layout of D&N, I started following some threads about Slash.

I loved him in GNR, but never followed him after he left. I like World of Fire, Anastasia and Fall to Pieces, but he has so many songs post GNR and that's why I'd like your input. What are your favourites ? It doesn't matter which era, Snakepit, Velvet Revolver, Myles... I would just like to get to know more of his music and it would be nice to know where to start. What would you recommend ? Thanks!

On each of his albums there are at least 2 to 3 tunes that are great.

I'll not post more than three tunes to keep the list as short as possible, but there are other great songs, too. Just give it a listen.

It's five o'clock somewhere:

Soma City Ward

Back and forth again

Beggars and hangers on

Ain't life grand:

Been there lately

Back to the moment

Ain't life grand

Contraband:

Sucker Train Blues

Slither

Dirty little thing

Libertad:

Let it roll

Gravedancer

Slash:

Crucify the dead

By the sword

Watch this

Apocalyptic love:

Halo

Anastasia

Not for me

Edited by Free Bird

Ain't Life Grand stands far above any other Slash's post GNR albums. The self titled record gets silver medal for me.

VR bored me pretty quickly, thanks to the awful mastering that makes it unlistenable after two songs. But there was som good guitar work on it.

AL...apart from the usual suspect Anastasia, I thought the album was plain boring and uninspired. The first Snakepit record sounds fucking dated, but it smokes.

• Like 1

Five O'Clock is prob the closest you'll get to a Guns record as far as Slash's playing. Still has that dirty blues sound and it was produced by Mike Clink, so sounds very GNR. IMO it's the best post-UYI work anyone did, including ChiDem and Contraband. I enjoy every song on it. Highly recommend you download it.

His first solo album has some solid songs but lacks solos. My 2nd fav personally.

Contraband, Libertad, ALG and Apoco Love are all equal I think.

Nothing beats his Fall To Pieces riff and solo, and Slither as a song. Contraband was full of awesome riffs and just rocked hard. Snakepit is kinda a showcase of Slash's amazing ability as a lead guitar player. I don't like those albums.

Slash's first solo album actually contains some great solos. By The Sword, Watch This, Mother Maria, Nothing To Say and more.

The first Snakepit album suffered from some really lame/cheesy lyrics, but the music itself and Slash's guitar playing on that album are superb. And I even like Dover's voice, it's just the lyrics that are awful. It's definitely an underrated album, and would have been a great Guns album if Axl would have been willing to provide lyrics and vocals. The solo on Back and Forth Again is one of my favorite Slash solos, even including his work with Guns. IMO that first Snakepit album and Contraband are Slash's best post-Guns work. After that his first solo album would be third. I'm not crazy about Libertad or AL.

Edited by foghat43

Please share your opinion with us about the songs

Certainly will, be don't expect indepth reviews, as I know nothing of music. I can only say if I like something or not.

I've listened to a few songs and I liked Slither, Back from Cali, Anastasia and Bent to Fly a lot.

I've heard Ghost a couple of times now and I like the music, but not the chorus. I didn't really like Crucify the Dead because of Ozzy's voice. It might be considered blasphemy, but I don't like his voice in this at all, so that spoils the song for me.

There are some other songs like Mother Maria that I've listened to, but I'd have to give them a couple more listens before I can judge them properly. Songs always have to sink in with me. Except for Anastasia, I liked that riff from the first time I heard it. Great!