SLASH featuring Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators Tour 2014 / 2015

batman007

Adele was in the news yesterday, she announced a 2016 tour, her first in five years. She admitted she'd been bluffing her fans about it not happening so if Adele can do it, it's feasible some bluffing could be going on with something as big as a GNR reunion.

First in 5 years? I don't follow her, just know a few songs by her, but what was the reason? she is very famous and her songs are liked by many people.

Not sure, possibly her young child who I think is around 3 now.

People have talked themselves into a frenzy over supposed reunion, but nobody's confirmed anything. Vicky Hamilton said Slash told her it's not happening.

And nobody has denied. By "nobody" I mean Axl, Slash, Duff. Telling something to Vicky Hamilton is the same as nothing unless she happens to be the band´s spokesperson but she is not.

Is college football that important in the States?

Yeah college football and basketball are huge events in the U.S. Because that´s where all the big stars come from before joning NBA or NFL. Although a few also come highschool like for example Le Bron James or Koby Bryant. And in some States they don´t have pro teams so college games are even more important there. Those games get the same media atention than any NFL or NBA game. USC and UCLA are one of the biggest rivalries in college football. The two Universities are the most important in L.A.

Is college football that important in the States?

Yeah college football and basketball are huge events in the U.S. Because that´s where all the big stars come from before joning NBA or NFL. Although a few also come highschool like for example Le Bron James or Koby Bryant. And in some States they don´t have pro teams so college games are even more important there. Those games get the same media atention than any NFL or NBA game. USC and UCLA are one of the biggest rivalries in college football. The two Universities are the most important in L.A.

Thanks, I didn't know this.

Ice pick thin tone. No smoothness, no depth, no density - what are you doing Slash!?!?! Go back to the Jub/2555SL, or at the very least the AFD.

He sounds amazing in concert, what you're hearing is a bad audio recorder and/or an amp that's set not to feedback in an open air stadium. The amp is probably not messed with much because its not like he gets to sound check in front of 70,000 people for a halftime/pregame jam. Chillax, his tone rocked in Chicago this year, videos don't do it justice.

Since this is a one off event I'm certain he didn't pay $1000s of dollars to haul his real gear across the country, the amps used are JCM 800s provided by whoever hired him, much easier to get ahold of than a Jubilee, or AFD100, for easily available amps, he should have used a Marshall Vintage Modern but JCM 800s are what he's used to. EL34's sound harsh compared to the 6550s he normally uses and I would surely bet the EL34 power tubes are in those amps cuz of the tone and the fact 6550s aren't very common in your average JCM 800.

Even in light of that, your typical recording device in front of two dimed Marshalls doesn't stand a chance at capturing tone acurately without clipping & compression distorting the original tone.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB

Ice pick thin tone. No smoothness, no depth, no density - what are you doing Slash!?!?! Go back to the Jub/2555SL, or at the very least the AFD.

He sounds amazing in concert, what you're hearing is a bad audio recorder and/or an amp that's set not to feedback in an open air stadium. The amp is probably not messed with much because its not like he gets to sound check in front of 70,000 people for a halftime/pregame jam. Chillax, his tone rocked in Chicago this year, videos don't do it justice.

Since this is a one off event I'm certain he didn't pay $1000s of dollars to haul his real gear across the country, the amps used are JCM 800s provided by whoever hired him, much easier to get ahold of than a Jubilee, or AFD100, for easily available amps, he should have used a Marshall Vintage Modern but JCM 800s are what he's used to. EL34's sound harsh compared to the 6550s he normally uses and I would surely bet the EL34 power tubes are in those amps cuz of the tone and the fact 6550s aren't very common in your average JCM 800.

Even in light of that, your typical recording device in front of two dimed Marshalls doesn't stand a chance at capturing tone acurately without clipping & compression distorting the original tone.

I've seen Slash (including VR) 12 times over the past 8 years. His tone in concert with the 800s sounds pretty much exactly like it does in that video. He tours with the 800's. Rarely uses a boost/OD/EQ through them. Slash's 800's have 6550's in them, I prefer EL34's, I don't think they're "harsher," but their mid spike is more prominent. If anything, 34's are smoother/warmer than 6550's. I've owned old Marshalls with both.

• Like 1

I've seen Slash (including VR) 12 times over the past 8 years. His tone in concert with the 800s sounds pretty much exactly like it does in that video. He tours with the 800's. Rarely uses a boost/OD/EQ through them. Slash's 800's have 6550's in them, I prefer EL34's, I don't think they're "harsher," but their mid spike is more prominent. If anything, 34's are smoother/warmer than 6550's. I've owned old Marshalls with both.

You are the forum amp god, omar

To me the EL-34's sound a little sterile, and maybe that's because of that pronounced mid spike...almost the same kinda sterile you get when using a G12-75 cab vs a V-30 cab, more life & bite out of the 6550s...for the record I wouldn't take a free G12-75 cab to play on my own, I'd take it just to sell it for a V30 cab or Greenback cab. I've always preferred the sound of 6550s in 800s and especially the Slash's SIR #34 modded Marshall JCM 800 Amp which to me is the most bad ass recorded distorted tone of all time, it shaped what I wanted to sound like!.

Its also interesting to note, that Slash's old Jubilees used KT-88s live regardless of what you may hear to the contrary, spent many years chasing that tone dragon of the Illusions Tour sound on a few Jubilees and something was ALWAYS missing in those amps until I played my guitar through my friends KT-88 equipped Slash SL2555 signature, it was like Heaven once I finally got that unique tone at almost any amp setting. Unfortunately I never did get a chance to buy my own Jubilee, and I went back to tone chasing the #34 sound, then bought a brand new Vintage Modern 2466 and then figured I'd make my own minds eye version of a Slash kind of tone.

But in all honesty the secret to Slash's tone is the single conductor Alnico 2's or what we now know as the Slash signature pickups along with 600v 22uf Orange drop caps, and the pickups must be set at the right height (bridge 1/8 inch, 7/32 Neck from bottom of the strings) and contrary to impulse the neck pickup cannot be too close to the string or you'll ruin the sustain of the strings, what you lose in pickup output you'll gain back in spades with string volume & sustain. I've chummed with Marshall amp designers Santiago and Steve Dawson many nights on the attributes of the Vintage Modern, AFD100 and Slash's tone, those guys are super informative and LOVE what they do. The #34 tone on the AFD100 is only a ballpark tone, due to the pre amp grounding needs for the exact #34 cocked wah tone there had to be a compromise and that was to have an accurate AFD tone and not a #34, tis why its a thin brittle tone and not accurate to what Slash's actual #34 amp sounds like.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB
  • Like 1

To me the EL-34's sound a little sterile, and maybe that's because of that pronounced mid spike...almost the same kinda sterile you get when using a G12-75 cab vs a V-30 cab, more life & bite out of the 6550s...for the record I wouldn't take a free G12-75 cab to play on my own, I'd take it just to sell it for a V30 cab or Greenback cab. I've always preferred the sound of 6550s in 800s and especially the Slash's SIR #34 modded Marshall JCM 800 Amp which to me is the most bad ass recorded distorted tone of all time, it shaped what I wanted to sound like!.

Its also interesting to note, that Slash's old Jubilees used KT-88s live regardless of what you may hear to the contrary, spent many years chasing that tone dragon of the Illusions Tour sound on a few Jubilees and something was ALWAYS missing in those amps until I played my guitar through my friends KT-88 equipped Slash SL2555 signature, it was like Heaven once I finally got that unique tone at almost any amp setting. Unfortunately I never did get a chance to buy my own Jubilee, and I went back to tone chasing the #34 sound, then bought a brand new Vintage Modern 2466 and then figured I'd make my own minds eye version of a Slash kind of tone.

But in all honesty the secret to Slash's tone is the single conductor Alnico 2's or what we now know as the Slash signature pickups along with 600v 22uf Orange drop caps, and the pickups must be set at the right height (bridge 1/8 inch, 7/32 Neck from bottom of the strings) and contrary to impulse the neck pickup cannot be too close to the string or you'll ruin the sustain of the strings, what you lose in pickup output you'll gain back in spades with string volume & sustain. I've chummed with Marshall amp designers Santiago and Steve Dawson many nights on the attributes of the Vintage Modern, AFD100 and Slash's tone, those guys are super informative and LOVE what they do. The #34 tone on the AFD100 is only a ballpark tone, due to the pre amp grounding needs for the exact #34 cocked wah tone there had to be a compromise and that was to have an accurate AFD tone and not a #34, tis why its a thin brittle tone and not accurate to what Slash's actual #34 amp sounds like.

Look what just showed up on Reverb yesterday: https://reverb.com/item/1417601-1978-marshall-jmk-mkii-39-slash-tim-caswell-mod-appetite-for-destruction-100-watt-head

There was a white Caswell (can't remember if it was #36 or #39, on eBay several weeks ago).

I like the T75's, depending on the head. I thought the Diezel Hagen sounded great through a newer 1960A. Also, the older ones are better, but I'm guessing you know that? I have an 80's 800 cab with the stock 75's, very good sounding cab. I haven't found that there's one speaker that universally sounds amazing through every amp, the heads I've played have really preferred certain speakers over others.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Slash's tone, even from the AFD/UYI/Snakepit days. His tone works for him, but it wouldn't really work for me. Not to say I don't like his tone. Interesting tidbit about the KT88's, I did not know that! And I thought I knew it all, :lol:. Paul Gilbert's modded Super Lead had KT88's too.... now I'm curious to try a Marshall with them. I thought the AFD sounded quite good, and close enough to Slash's GNR recorded/live tone to pass as something close enough to put his name on it. I heard the handwired prototypes were spades better than the production run, but I've never played either so I can't really say.

• Like 1

Look what just showed up on Reverb yesterday: https://reverb.com/item/1417601-1978-marshall-jmk-mkii-39-slash-tim-caswell-mod-appetite-for-destruction-100-watt-head

There was a white Caswell (can't remember if it was #36 or #39, on eBay several weeks ago).

I like the T75's, depending on the head. I thought the Diezel Hagen sounded great through a newer 1960A. Also, the older ones are better, but I'm guessing you know that? I have an 80's 800 cab with the stock 75's, very good sounding cab. I haven't found that there's one speaker that universally sounds amazing through every amp, the heads I've played have really preferred certain speakers over others.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Slash's tone, even from the AFD/UYI/Snakepit days. His tone works for him, but it wouldn't really work for me. Not to say I don't like his tone. Interesting tidbit about the KT88's, I did not know that! And I thought I knew it all, :lol:. Paul Gilbert's modded Super Lead had KT88's too.... now I'm curious to try a Marshall with them. I thought the AFD sounded quite good, and close enough to Slash's GNR recorded/live tone to pass as something close enough to put his name on it. I heard the handwired prototypes were spades better than the production run, but I've never played either so I can't really say.

You're absolutely correct about older speakers sounding better, especially higher wattage speakers, it takes a bit of jamming to loosen them up. You're also probably correct that there is an amp the G12-75s sound good with, I just haven't found that amp or setup that does them any justice. With Marshall tube amps their distortion tone is very organic & natural and with G12-75s you lose speaker distortion due to the higher wattage resistance to that distortion that would normally occur in lower wattage speakers, they would probably be great with a 200watt tube amp with a ton of pre amp gain or a regular Marshall with a boost pedal, but I personally don't like to mess around with boost pedals for my main guitar tone, for solo boost yes but for the main tone I go with all amp & guitar I love it all natural for better playing response. Oddly enough G12-75s are probably the most common Marshall cabs I see when looking to buy used cabs lol If you play jazz then I'll bet that G1275s would be great for that since they resist output distortion a bit better than V30s.

When I bought my H&K Vortex Cab they had Celestion G12F60s which are pretty much a rebranded Vintage 30 for H&K (I guess they wanted to save the V30 name for Marshall cabs) anyway the tone of those speakers changed almost 40-50% over the course of a month of jamming when I paired it with my 2466 100watt Vintage Modern, they got tighter & sweeter, more response and just mature, it was noticeable even on recordings of my band through that month. They broke in pretty fast probably due to the volume we jammed at, always ran the Vintage Modern around 7-8 in my drummers basement for a mostly output distortion tone, we used to go home half deaf but it was a very religious experience lol.

As for the AFD100, the AFD tone it made was great and that was the sole purpose of that amp, the bonus #34 tone on the other channel just isn't true to the real #34 mod of the illusions era and that's mostly due to the resistor value they would have had to cut out of the pre amp input on AFD mode as well as a ground to make it true, so basically without complicating the circuit they couldn't get both true to life tones to be on the same amp so the #34 channel was compromised a bit.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB