Scott Weiland Considers Auditioning For Velvet Revolver

STPFAN

Isn't Slash the one who is a bit choosy when it comes to a new singer in Velvet Revolver? So instead of never finding a replacement for Scott Weiland, maybe the band should just tell Slash he should keep on focusing on playing GN'R songs with Myles Kennedy while they find someone to replace Slash rather than someone to replace Scott? It's probably easier to find a new lead guitarist than a singer that is just right for Slash.

• Like 1

If that's the case, instead of the band finding a lead singer that is as great as Weiland was, they, then, got to find a lead guitar player that is as great as Slash (that's kinda hard to find), and then we get the same people that goes all "It's not GNR without Slash" go all "It's not VR without Slash." and that kind of stigma is worst than VR being inactive because they can't find a lead singer that the band agrees with.

Edited by Anguyen92

Isn't Slash the one who is a bit choosy when it comes to a new singer in Velvet Revolver? So instead of never finding a replacement for Scott Weiland, maybe the band should just tell Slash he should keep on focusing on playing GN'R songs with Myles Kennedy while they find someone to replace Slash rather than someone to replace Scott? It's probably easier to find a new lead guitarist than a singer that is just right for Slash.

:lol: / :facepalm:

The alternative to replacing Slash is not having to find a new singer that Slash will accept, but continuing being on hiatus, because there is nothing that suggests Slash will ever accept another singer in VR unless it is Myles Kennedy (why should he leave the sweet setup he has in his own band with Myles on vocals for just being a lead guitarist in VR with a big singer? Myles is a true god-send to Slash: a singer that can sing anything from GN'R to VR yet be so bland and utterly uninteresting and having such a detestable vocal tone that he will never rival Slash for popularity hence keep Slash in the spotlight he craves so much. Being able to find that delicate balance between being an adept singer yet so completely uninteresting is what is the most amazing about Myles). And when compared to being on hiatus, finding a new guitarist is a much better alternative. I also don't think it is that hard to replace Slash, he hasn't really done anything good since the early 90s :shrugs:

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, Slash is still good, just not as good as he used to be. Perhaps they would be better off with someone fresh and hungry and able to come up with something new rather than someone that just repeats the same thing, the same licks, the same top hat. Distancing themselves from that might not go down well with those that are mostly attracted to the idea of a watered down GN'R but might actually draw in a new less nostalgic crowd and make the band more relevant.

Glenn Hughes and Lil' Bonzo went thru that. They had made waves with Black Country Communion, but Joe Bonamassa didn't have enough time between solo tours to promote the last BCC album, so they fell apart. After a while they decided to just get another younger guitarist, great player, and relaunch as California Breed, pretty good, but it's just not on the same level as the original project.

• Like 1

The alternative to replacing Slash is not having to find a new singer that Slash will accept, but continuing being on hiatus, because there is nothing that suggests Slash will ever accept another singer in VR unless it is Myles Kennedy (why should he leave the sweet setup he has in his own band with Myles on vocals for just being a lead guitarist in VR with a big singer? Myles is a true god-send to Slash: a singer that can sing anything from GN'R to VR yet be so bland and utterly uninteresting and having such a detestable vocal tone that he will never rival Slash for popularity hence keep Slash in the spotlight he craves so much. Being able to find that delicate balance between being an adept singer yet so completely uninteresting is what is the most amazing about Myles). And when compared to being on hiatus, finding a new guitarist is a much better alternative. I also don't think it is that hard to replace Slash, he hasn't really done anything good since the early 90s :shrugs:

My facepalm was to the bold part: "maybe the band should just tell Slash he should keep on focusing on playing GN'R songs with Myles Kennedy" - which was one of the most ignorant sentences I've read here in a while. The guy is in his 3rd solo album already. cupcake better.

IMO, there's no VR without Scott or Slash. I'm sure the rest of the band agrees with me or the situation would've been worked out long ago.

I hope they reunite some day. From all the albums released either by Axl or the ex-gunners after real GNR broke up, Contraband is the best, by far.

My facepalm was to the bold part: "maybe the band should just tell Slash he should keep on focusing on playing GN'R songs with Myles Kennedy" - which was one of the most ignorant sentences I've read here in a while. The guy is in his 3rd solo album already. cupcake better.

You didn't realize it was an exaggerated for comedic effect? That being said, if you look at the amount of GN'R songs he is playing now, and compare it to when he started on his own, the trend suggests that after 2-3 years, or 2-3 more records, his live shows will consist of nothing but GN'R songs that are being ruined by Myles' singing :shrugs: .

I guess doing VR without Scott could prove that they didn't need him. That Slither and Fall to Pieces was basically Slash/Duff/Matt.

They best they could do is get Izzy to write a few songs and get Stephen Pearcy to sing.

Did you ever notice how Soulmonster can't simply disagree with anybody without resorting to insulting those he disagrees with? Gives you a bit of a clue to how this guy's mind works.

Did you ever notice how Soulmonster can't simply disagree with anybody without resorting to insulting those he disagrees with? Gives you a bit of a clue to how this guy's mind works.

Huh? Who am I disagreeing with/insulting?

Not liking a singer is 100% fine.

I can't stand Scott.

Heck, I can't stand Myles voice on GnR songs. I think he ruins them. I actually partially agree with you on his voice for certain songs.

But it's all personal preference - like all music is.

Maybe you don't realize you do this, or maybe you just don't care, as this is how you put forth your opinion on most subjects. You can't just voice your opinion, you always have to throw in jabs at the people you are chatting with or discussing. I was just reading a pretty civil and interesting topic in AG where people were talking about religion. Go read your comments. You can't just say you disagree with Christians, you have to throw in jabs and insults.

Lots of people love Myles as a singer.

He's had a pretty successful career.

Maybe that's why Slash has him as a singer. He likes his voice, they get along great and have a blast hanging out, writing and touring together. You have no idea if Slash craves the spotlight and that's why he keeps Myles around.

Slash hasn't done anything interesting or good in 20 years? VR sold millions of albums, won a grammy, Slash has played with numerous top level musicians, numerous A-level singers chose to work with him on a solo album, he is able to successfully tour, big name bands like Aeromith think enough of him to bring him on tour. You personally might not like his music, but many other people do and the guy is still extremely respected in the rock world. And the guy is still churning out rock albums for his fans to enjoy.

Go read the highlighted sections of the your post above. Why go that route? Why not just say you don't like the guy's voice. All that other stuff just leads to fans of Slash/Myles feeling like they have to respond in kind.

Why not just share your opinion without resorting to the insults? Would lead to less fighting and negativity on the board. Like I've said a hundred times on here, I think you are a really smart guy who knows a ton of about GnR and music. I just don't know why you have to be a condescending prick all the time. Why not just chat with people in a friendly manner? No need to have to educate, ridicule and "win" all the time. Sometimes it's OK to just have a friendly conversation.

Say what you like about Scott, he at least has a personality that comes through his music. Myles's lyrics could easily be replaced by a random Nickelback or Shinedown track and no one would be the wiser.

Exactly. Slash needs a singer with personality. My biggest issue with Myles Kennedy is not even his duck voice, but his lack of personality. He just feels so empty when singing and on stage.

Well, I guess Slash's intention really is to don't share the spotlight.

I'd love Mike Patton to quit being arty for one year and record a balls-to-the-wall heavy rock album with VR.

Guns N' Roses will reunite before that happen, man.

They should get DJ Ashba. That would be hilarious.

Not liking a singer is 100% fine.

I can't stand Scott.

Heck, I can't stand Myles voice on GnR songs. I think he ruins them. I actually partially agree with you on his voice for certain songs.

But it's all personal preference - like all music is.

I shared my own personal preferences. I really don't like Myles. If Myles fans can't take that then maybe they shouldn't expose themselves to message boards where people will have diverging opinions? I am not really worried, though, I am sure Myles fans have really, really hard skin.

You didn't realize it was an exaggerated for comedic effect? That being said, if you look at the amount of GN'R songs he is playing now, and compare it to when he started on his own, the trend suggests that after 2-3 years, or 2-3 more records, his live shows will consist of nothing but GN'R songs that are being ruined by Myles' singing :shrugs: .

Yep, that's why I said "cupcake better" - it was not funny.

Back on topic... After dealing with Axl and Scott, I can totally understand Slash's "fear" and hesitation at finding a new singer for VR. Myles is perfect for his solo efforts, but the lack of tension makes everything so boring. Myles being this very professional and trouble-free dude may be the very problem. Also, his voice doesn't really work on GNR and VR tunes, even though he sounds a lot better than Axl lately.

Edited by ProstituteComa

Err, If you actually understood I wasn't serious then you wouldn't have felt the need to argue against what I said ;)

As for the rest you said, I think it is really weak of Slash to settle for someone as bland as Mykes rather than dare to challenge himself with a strong singer/performer, and it is sort of deserting his fellow band members in VR to stop that band while he focusses for mediocrity with his solo efforts.

And my apologies to anyone who might not share my personal opinions and who I might have inadvertantly hurt by being frank. Just like much of the Internet, this thread might not be for you.

Every time I read that VR is searching a singer, all I can think is "Just release the goddamn tapes of VR with Corey Taylor FFS". I so desperately want to hear that stuff.

I totally can understand that they decided that they can't work together in the long run, but burying stuff that's already existing? So unnecessary in 2014. Just release it as a free download. *sigh*

Every time I read that VR is searching a singer, all I can think is "Just release the goddamn tapes of VR with Corey Taylor FFS". I so desperately want to hear that stuff.

I totally can understand that they decided that they can't work together in the long run, but burying stuff that's already existing? So unnecessary in 2014. Just release it as a free download. *sigh*

I would love to hear those, but Slash didn't like Corey .. Edited by SoulMonster

I would love to hear those, but Slash didn't like Corey ..

It's in the vault.

Err, If you actually understood I wasn't serious then you wouldn't have felt the need to argue against what I said ;)

As for the rest you said, I think it is really weak of Slash to settle for someone as bland as Mykes rather than dare to challenge himself with a strong singer/performer, and it is sort of deserting his fellow band members in VR to stop that band while he focusses for mediocrity with his solo efforts.

And my apologies to anyone who might not share my personal opinions and who I might have inadvertantly hurt by being frank. Just like much of the Internet, this thread might not be for you.

I agree. But like I said, if they weren't OK with Slash's position, things would have been already settled long ago, they seem to be friends and get along well. They all have their own projects, it's not like they are all desperate to reunite. Only Scott is.

After working with Axl and Scott, it's hard to say Slash chose Myles out of weakness. More like "I'm done with divas, let me get a real professional this time". Totally understandable. I'll give World on Fire a proper listen but I know exactly what to expect. I wouldn't call it mediocrity but yeah, not my cup of tea.

Slash said he wanted to make a heavier VR record, so he probably wants to save the instrumental parts for another singer when/if the band finds one.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave