Scott Weiland Considers Auditioning For Velvet Revolver

STPFAN

I hope Slash sticks with what he is doing now. VR were a terrible band.

I wouldn't say 'terrible' but I never liked them. I prefer Slash solo projects.

So do I. It would have been different if Izzy was involved in the songwriting and they were not trying to do a numetal thing, which is what Contraband was all about really.

So do I. It would have been different if Izzy was involved in the songwriting and they were not trying to do a numetal thing, which is what Contraband was all about really.

Contraband was a very modern sounding album, but I wouldn't call it nu-metal--it sounded nothing like Korn, Limp Bizkit, etc.

I was listening to both VR albums yesterday and feel that they've held up really well. I would like to see a reunion--much better than Slash/Myles or Loaded, IMHO.

• Like 2

Whatever name you'll call Slash's band, I believe the best combination for Slash has to contain Duff and Matt in it. They share good chemistry, and they need to find a singer that will have natural chemistry with them.

Watch This is really strong imo, but Slash is fuckin' lazy (in the studio) so he just released it unfinished as an instrumental. I like it anyway.

Edited by Rovim

Every time I read that VR is searching a singer, all I can think is "Just release the goddamn tapes of VR with Corey Taylor FFS". I so desperately want to hear that stuff.

I totally can understand that they decided that they can't work together in the long run, but burying stuff that's already existing? So unnecessary in 2014. Just release it as a free download. *sigh*

I heard acid bath were trying to get Cory. Dax Riggs is irreplaceable

Edited by spliff

Contraband was a very modern sounding album, but I wouldn't call it nu-metal--it sounded nothing like Korn, Limp Bizkit, etc.

I was listening to both VR albums yesterday and feel that they've held up really well. I would like to see a reunion--much better than Slash/Myles or Loaded, IMHO.

Perhaps but I do not like that 'modern rock' sound in the slightest. Both VR and Axl tried to copy it on their respective albums. I much prefer Stradlin's methodology.

Yes, I think I will be skipping his new album - or maybe pick it up second hand in a couple of years when it is going for £2. That is, unless someone convices me that there are two-three Anastasias on there. The annoying thing with Slash is there is always one song per album (e.g. Serial Killer, Anastasia) which is a masterpiece and proves what potential he has. Every Slash album has this, amidst the generic hard rock filler. I did like the collaborative album mind. The different talents brought out the best in Slash.

Yes, I think I will be skipping his new album - or maybe pick it up second hand in a couple of years when it is going for £2. That is, unless someone convices me that there are two-three Anastasias on there. The annoying thing with Slash is there is always one song per album (e.g. Serial Killer, Anastasia) which is a masterpiece and proves what potential he has. Every Slash album has this, amidst the generic hard rock filler. I did like the collaborative album mind. The different talents brought out the best in Slash.

No they didn't. It was the freedom and also don't forget he wanted to do that shit for a long fuckin' time. That means he probably had some of the riffs and melodies for a long time as well. Axl, Duff, and Izzy brought out the best in Slash, but I know what you meant, so in general I agree. By The Sword, Watch This, Mother Maria are just some of the cool shit he came up with on that album, but as a whole, it wasn't consistent and I wouldn't even call it an album.

Agreed.

One of the reasons that Slash's solo first album is so good is because he worked with a variety of people and it was a truly collaborative effort, filled with memorable songs. Whether it was Fergie, Chris Cornell, Ozzy, etc. these singers all brought something to the table. Slash''s 2010 album is the best thing that he's done since leaving GN'R, IMHO, and the deluxe edition is an amazing body of work. Myles Kennedy is a good singer, but he doesn't push Slash, he just enables him to stay in his comfort zone. Apocalyptic Love was a good, solid hard-rock album, but nothing special.

Agreed.

One of the reasons that Slash's solo first album is so good is because he worked with a variety of people and it was a truly collaborative effort, filled with memorable songs. Whether it was Fergie, Chris Cornell, Ozzy, etc. these singers all brought something to the table. Slash''s 2010 album is the best thing that he's done since leaving GN'R, IMHO, and the deluxe edition is an amazing body of work. Myles Kennedy is a good singer, but he doesn't push Slash, he just enables him to stay in his comfort zone. Apocalyptic Love was a good, solid hard-rock album, but nothing special.

Great post, Richard Nixon. :)

Apocalyptic Love is, pub rock. I sometimes wish Slash would throw out his copy of Rocks. The one song ('Anastasia') that was not bargain basket Aerosmith and it turns into the album's finest hour. It was a similar situation with 'Serial Killer' and Ain't Life Grand.

Really loved Scott as a frontman. Contraband was such a great record, remember there being a huge buzz about it at school when it came out. I guess Scott probably isn't the easiest guy to work with though. If there is a reunion I'd like to see Scott back with them, it certainly seems that he wants his old job back. I can't see it happening really though, Slash seems to be having a ball doing his solo stuff and the guy is now playing arenas under his own name so I guess he's as big without VR and he can be in control.

As for Slash's solo work - I agree that his 2010 record is still probably the best of his recent stuff. I thought Apocalyptic Love was a very good album but lacked the wow factor for me. As for Myles - the guy certainly has a great voice but he sounds like a poor man's Chris Cornell to me. I'm kind of glad the Zeppelin guys didn't tour with him in the end, don't think the guy has the pipes or the charisma to pull of Zeppelin songs. That being said, Slash obviously gets on well with him and he seems to easy to work with and comes across a really great guy.

VR without Scott is a dead end.

That doesn't mean Scott is the best frontman around or anything but nobody cares about VR in the mainstream anymore, let alone with some new singer.

As a huge fan even I recognize the "VR brand" has almost zero cache or value anymore . It would be worth just starting a new band.

Something with Izzy and rotating vocalists would be amazing and really the best use of everyones talents and time IMO.

Edited by Ant