Duff McKagan Denies Velvet Revolver Singer Auditions Taking Place

Silent Jay

Duff-McKagan.jpg

Are Velvet Revolver once again looking to fill the vacancy left by Scott Weiland? While Weiland seems to think so, bassist Duff McKagan denies that there’s anything going on at the moment concerning a new frontman.

Weiland stated in a recent interview that he heard that Velvet Revolver were holding auditions and that he wondered if he should join “the cattle call.” Even though he’s talked recently about potentially returning, the band’s members have not reciprocated with an invite.

McKagan tells VH1 Radio Networks that Weiland’s assertion that there are auditions being held is a little off base. He explains (as excerpted by Blabbermouth), “I’m not aware that we’re auditioning right now and I think I would be aware.” The bassist went on to add, “I think, you know, that’s a band, when it’s the right time to happen again, it’ll happen.”

Reflecting on the group, McKagan added, “That band was so good and really started with all the right intentions and we wrote a lot of material near the end of that band. We kind of got really free musically so we’ve got all this material and it’s a really talented band.”

Velvet Revolver’s sophomore set, ‘Libertad,’ arrived in 2007 and tensions with Weiland eventually led to the group ousting the frontman in 2008. The group has tried out several vocalists over the years, but never named an official replacement for Weiland. Tensions thawed enough for Weiland to join the band for a one-off benefit show in 2012, but since that time all talk of the vocalist rejoining the band has been rebuked.

Read More: Duff McKagan Denies Velvet Revolver Holding Auditions | http://loudwire.com/duff-mckagan-denies-velvet-revolver-singer-auditions/?trackback=tsmclip

“I’m not aware that we’re auditioning right now and I think I would be aware.” The bassist went on to add, “I think, you know, that’s a band, when it’s the right time to happen again, it’ll happen.”

Hmmm...not in every band there, Duffman.

• Like 1

I was listening to this thing called The List with Slash on the flight. I think it was posted here. And Slash was saying how he wanted Myles for VR or they sent him a tape before they got Scott, and he never sent it back to them. Slash asked Myles and he said he got cold feet, he was loyal to his band etc. To me it sounded like Slash would want Myles in VR and this was his way of introducing the idea. Like we always wanted him.

Edited by wasted

Wait a min. what year was Slash talking about in that one? Before they got Scott around 2002? Or after they booted Scott out around 2008? I believe that story about the whole Myles not sending that tape to Slash/Duff/Matt around 2002 since he felt that it wasn't good to his standards or that he just didn't want to be in the "industry" around that time or something like that.

Edited by Anguyen92

Myles was interested in 2002 before Scott joined the band. Matt Sorum told Slash about him. The band gave a demo to Myles but he finally never sent it back.
In 2008, VR contacted Myles again but he refused cause he was in Alter Bridge.
Slash didn't push things, he has now Myles for his personal band so no interest for him to bring him in VR. ;)

• Like 1

Myles was interested in 2002 before Scott joined the band. Matt Sorum told Slash about him. The band gave a demo to Myles but he finally never sent it back.

In 2008, VR contacted Myles again but he refused cause he was in Alter Bridge.

Slash didn't push things, he has now Myles for his personal band so no interest for him to bring him in VR. ;)

or not that interested in VR at the moment, but from what I've learned about this it seems VR with Myles is a possibility. Although seems like a terrible idea as Myles can't do VR songs, but I guess he does Axl.

Well, I don't think Myles and VR is out of the question but it seems it bit strange to have have two bands with Myles. Why not just draft Duff and Matt into the Conspirators. Do a cover of RATM's Know Your Enemy.

Well, technically, Slash and Myles is already got a band (somewhat) with Duff and Matt in the form of Kings of Chaos and it seems like a harmless occasional gathering of sorts that doesn't really require intense touring legs and it appears that Slash and Myles love what they got going with Fitz, Kerns, Sidoris and why that's going on. Besides, whose to say that Duff and Matt would accept going into the Conspirators? Duff's got Walking Papers, Loaded, and probably another band in the making and Matt's busy saving the dolphins in the meanwhile.

Edited by Anguyen92

Myles sounds terrible on VR songs. There's not enough crazy in Myles to pull of sucker train blues, not enough elastic grit for slither, and his annoying timbre pretty much ruins fall to pieces. He always seems like he's doing karaoke on the VR tracks.

• Like 2

Myles sounds terrible on VR songs. There's not enough crazy in Myles to pull of sucker train blues, not enough elastic grit for slither, and his annoying timbre pretty much ruins fall to pieces. He always seems like he's doing karaoke on the VR tracks.

completely disagree, especially on Fall to Pieces, but to each their own.

Slash has addressed the idea of Myles in VR, and he said it's a no go, because they want someone who's only focus is VR (and this was way back before Apocalyptic Love came to be. pretty early on in their touring on the Slash album). Myles is in AB and he doesn't want to be responsible for breaking up a band.

Well, technically, Slash and Myles is already got a band (somewhat) with Duff and Matt in the form of Kings of Chaos and it seems like a harmless occasional gathering of sorts that doesn't really require intense touring legs and it appears that Slash and Myles love what they got going with Fitz, Kerns, Sidoris and why that's going on. Besides, whose to say that Duff and Matt would accept going into the Conspirators? Duff's got Walking Papers, Loaded, and probably another band in the making and Matt's busy saving the dolphins in the meanwhile.

I really think Slash would consider Myles for VR. He has the skills and isn't a pain in the ass. It will give them the chance to prove Contraband was really more down to the GNR guys. I don't really know how Matt or Duff see VR, Matt I think he said it was the highlight of his career? To me it seems like it provides them that big band outlet they don't have without Guns. I just wonder if Myles is rock n roll enough to handle it.