World of Warcraft

AtariLegend

Never got into it.

Yup, played SWG, LOTRO, a bit of D&D: Online, never thought to pick up WoW.

SWG was the best MMO i've EVER played, before the Combat Upgrade and the New Game Enhancement updates, which essentially made it a cheap WoW clone and killed the game. I miss that game so much, shame it had to turn into absolute shit and shut down. It was completely unique and nothing compared.

Fuck, if we lived close together we'd need to get a beer over this. I started SWG in early '04, played on Lowca for a bit, then moved to Euro-Chimaera when the Euro servers came out (don't remember why :lol:). Had a little green Rodian, Jedi sometime in mid '05. With a few friends started one of the biggest Rebel guilds on the server (died off after CU though). What a blast, JTL was great too, loved my Jedi Starfighter, I spent hours killing Black Sun Marauders to get that darn helmet, and it didn't even look good on Rodians :(. Had an alt who was MBH/M Combat Medic most of the time, was always MBH but tried it combo'd with a few professions, rifleman, swordsman (major fail), and of course commando. What a great fucking game, all the memories are pouring back now. CU sucked at the time..... but man was it a million times better than NGE.

I could go on and on about the game, but I don't need to tell you. I still talk with SWG friends every now and then, haven't maintained relationships from any other MMO; there was a great mature crowd on SWG until late CU, then NGE brought in the 12 year olds. Though tbh, I was around that age when I started playing, but having everyone else be 18+ forced me to not act like a cunt.

RIP SWG 2003-2005. Looking back it's hard to believe the game was only great for 2.5 years, I always feel like NGE wasn't until 07/08, but then I have to look it up again. There was a great communal spirit around the emu projects in the mid 2000's, it's died down a bit, but I think one of them is still going on. I don't know if I'd get back into it...

EDIT: Oh, and fuck SOE, Torres, Smedley, the lot of 'em.

I played back when the game opened all the way to the CU and thought THAT was bad, but when all of us vets saw the NGE, man. I remember the lot of us were blasting ol Smedley on the forums and they lost TONS of subs over that bullshit that killed the game.

Anyway when I played I was on Ahazi as a Zabrak Master Swordsman/Pistoleer. I tried Pikeman for awhile too and Combat Medic was awesome as well. As our guild progressed on I moved into a Master Politician role and ran our town. I miss that game with a passion, there was nothing like it. I was thinking about installing SWG Emu and giving it a shot. A lot of the vets play it and I miss the community.

Never got into it.

Yup, played SWG, LOTRO, a bit of D&D: Online, never thought to pick up WoW.

SWG was the best MMO i've EVER played, before the Combat Upgrade and the New Game Enhancement updates, which essentially made it a cheap WoW clone and killed the game. I miss that game so much, shame it had to turn into absolute shit and shut down. It was completely unique and nothing compared.

Fuck, if we lived close together we'd need to get a beer over this. I started SWG in early '04, played on Lowca for a bit, then moved to Euro-Chimaera when the Euro servers came out (don't remember why :lol:). Had a little green Rodian, Jedi sometime in mid '05. With a few friends started one of the biggest Rebel guilds on the server (died off after CU though). What a blast, JTL was great too, loved my Jedi Starfighter, I spent hours killing Black Sun Marauders to get that darn helmet, and it didn't even look good on Rodians :(. Had an alt who was MBH/M Combat Medic most of the time, was always MBH but tried it combo'd with a few professions, rifleman, swordsman (major fail), and of course commando. What a great fucking game, all the memories are pouring back now. CU sucked at the time..... but man was it a million times better than NGE.

I could go on and on about the game, but I don't need to tell you. I still talk with SWG friends every now and then, haven't maintained relationships from any other MMO; there was a great mature crowd on SWG until late CU, then NGE brought in the 12 year olds. Though tbh, I was around that age when I started playing, but having everyone else be 18+ forced me to not act like a cunt.

RIP SWG 2003-2005. Looking back it's hard to believe the game was only great for 2.5 years, I always feel like NGE wasn't until 07/08, but then I have to look it up again. There was a great communal spirit around the emu projects in the mid 2000's, it's died down a bit, but I think one of them is still going on. I don't know if I'd get back into it...

EDIT: Oh, and fuck SOE, Torres, Smedley, the lot of 'em.

I played back when the game opened all the way to the CU and thought THAT was bad, but when all of us vets saw the NGE, man. I remember the lot of us were blasting ol Smedley on the forums and they lost TONS of subs over that bullshit that killed the game.

Anyway when I played I was on Ahazi as a Zabrak Master Swordsman/Pistoleer. I tried Pikeman for awhile too and Combat Medic was awesome as well. As our guild progressed on I moved into a Master Politician role and ran our town. I miss that game with a passion, there was nothing like it. I was thinking about installing SWG Emu and giving it a shot. A lot of the vets play it and I miss the community.

Ah yeah, I think I missed the days of no landspeeders and 5 minute shuttle wait times. I saw the server population numbers from pre-NGE and post NGE, I don't remember the exact numbers (or tbh if it was a verifiable source...) but it was a difference of thousands. I think they picked subscriptions back up towards '08/'09ish, but it definitely hit them hard, something like 25% of my peers on Chimaera quit at CU, and another 50% at NGE. I think maybe 5% of them stayed through 2013. Every now and then SOE would offer a free 14 day trial, and I'd log in to my old account just to catch up with people/see how much shitter the game had gotten.

Like you said, nothing beats classic SWG.

Wish I had that.

FYI my PC can barely handle 25's on live, but on Mythic testing atm (20 mans) it's runs almost like a 5 man.

Someone suggested reduced spell effect clutter, that's maybe it. Not sure, either way it's much better now.

My old PC couldn't handle 25 LFR at all. I was getting about 4fps. With this new PC I can run LFR easily on high.

• 1 month later...

I really think they went overboard on nerfs to old content. The numbers squish is one thing, but I don't see why they need to make it possible to kill Rag in Firelands with 3 attacks ect now. I think the buff against lower lvl mobs you get should have been enough.

I'll never understand why Blizzard feel the need to make 99% of everything that is't a few months old require no effort.

Seen a TV spot on youtube for WOD.

Is this for real? It's like 1996 using a opening cinematic that has very little to do with the actual game.

Worse than that I think I've soured on WOD after spending time on Beta. Sure it's better than Cata, there's some new technical improvements. However it is just basically a rehash of content over the past 10 years with new shine.

It seems really lazy to have more Orc based raid tiers and to re-use Draenor (Outland) again.

I played for a long time until right before 6.0. Pretty much PvP only. Now, the only internet service I can get has the worst ping rate I have ever seen and since pvp is heavily reliant on good ping, I don't bother. I may pick it up again once I move back to normal civilization and wired internet.

BC is pretty much everyone's favorite expansion. Minus the addition of resilience, I tend to agree. The gear, the content, the community it was all good.

Everyone complained that WOTLK was too easy yet so many people didn't even have their Kingslayer title. How can anyone call something easy when majority of the player base didn't even down the expansion's primary raid?

What screwed WoW up was the LFD system and then following it up by making the main city the only city people visit. There's no reason for anyone to go anywhere anymore. Anyone remember the SS and TM fights?

I miss the days where you had to form groups in LFG channel. When assholes ninja'd or played like morons, they were booted and it would be hell for them to find a group later on. Sure, LFD made things easier but it also removed accountability. The main balance of the community. Now, everyone can just que up, /follow and need on any and everything. That reminds me, fuck huntards. Why is it always a hunter? -.-

The guild perks destroyed smaller guilds. As a guild leader, you actually had to actually recruit. And the success of your guild depended on the people in the guild NOT the goofy perks. Now, just logon to a busy server and you'll be mass spammed by guild invites until you pick one. Then you notice no one ever talks. There's never anything on the calendar and the fuckers dont even give free repairs. It's just a gold maker for the GM. Granted, if you've played long enough you know the good guilds but for new people, they're just lost on what made WoW great.

PvP was fun until MoP and maybe as early as Cata. Homogenous talent trees killed any sense of individuality. You could tell the bads by their talent trees. They were always the ones that were just going for "balance." Now, you find people who paid for arena wins to grind the gear and rating, have the cookie cutter spec and they play like idiots.

Battlegrounds were fun before they lowered the points in AB and put a timer on WSG and boosted the stats too much on players. Everything was stun burst burst burst stun stun stun silence *dead*

The scaling is garbage(granted I havent tried 6.0 yet) but I'm torn between the days of no exp BG's and leveling in bg's. Both have their good points but the ability scaling has become horseshit. Every half ass rolls a warrior, rogue or hunter and 1 shots. How's that supposed to turn new players onto PvP? It doesn't.

Revert back to spell ranks, more linear scaling as you level and FFS give us old AV back. It used to be the most epic thing in the game. 3 day long battles. You go to bed, wake up, do your daily thing and come home and log on and it's STILL the same battle. Noobies have never even seen or heard of the icelord. If I had to type "don't just run straight to the boss" one more time while 30 people would do just that and bitch about losing....

Now Wow is the game where you sit in Org or SW, wait for your que to pop and deal with jerkoffs that aren't held accountable for playing like idiots. You have to treasure hunt for the good guys way more than before.

Oh, and Ghostcrawler is a total cocksucker.

Edited by Rustycage
  • Like 1

Seen a TV spot on youtube for WOD.

It seems really lazy to have more Orc based raid tiers and to re-use Draenor (Outland) again.

A lot of players are united in support of BC. I can't fault them for being lazy in that regard because at least it shows that they're listening to their player base. The prior developer basically told everyone to stfu and like what they get which is what HE wanted.

I give them credit for trying. And these new guys have said that they plan to address pvp on a serious level unlike Ghostcrawler. The crap was clearly broken from start to max level and his only response is, "I don't care about pvp but I think it's fine where it is." His toon is a frost mage. One of the easiest classes to master and rarely saw nerfs.

BC is not everyone's favorite expansion, that's another cliche like saying everything went downhill since Vanilla.

They seem to have butchered some of the rotations for classes too. Prot warrior for example seems like a major faceroll.

In certain cases the game is only balanced around lvl100 at the minute, not 90 anymore. Hence why Arms is completely OP atm.

btw Skirmish's aren't the same as arena. There's no requirement of course that's going to happen if you que with friends or your team. Half the players you face skirmishes are ilvl440 who have no idea how to PVP and never won a ranked arena game. You can also solo que and get grouped with similarly clueless players/cupcakes.

Edited by AtariLegend

BC is not everyone's favorite expansion, that's another cliche like saying everything went downhill since Vanilla.

They seem to have butchered some of the rotations for classes too. Prot warrior for example seems like a major faceroll.

In certain cases the game is only balanced around lvl100 at the minute, not 90 anymore. Hence why Arms is completely OP atm.

btw Skirmish's aren't the same as arena. There's no requirement of course that's going to happen if you que with friends or your team. Half the players you face skirmishes are ilvl440 who have no idea how to PVP and never won a ranked arena game. You can also solo que and get grouped with similarly clueless players/cupcakes.

Hah ok, that explains some things. Haven't seriously played the game since WotLK and even then I was a n00b because I was still a kid back then. Only pick up a 7-day free promo once in a while and the game has lost a lot of it's charm imo. Stormwind is filled with the most bizarre mounts/vanity items/gear etc. The fantasy mystique that made the game so intriguing is gone. I ocasionally play a private TBC server and WoW just had a lot more suspense back then, because it wasn't a faceroll rollercoaster where everything was handed out to you, like nowadays. The quests from that era are quite outdated though, so maybe in that regard the newer expansions are better.

BC is not everyone's favorite expansion

Nothing is unanimous but the running is between BC and WOTLK. The difference maker is typically how the person feels about the grinding process. WOTLK made it easier to grind the gear(which is ugly as shit) which must have pleased a lot of people since this was their peak period of subscriptions. Also, the balance was near perfect at the end of Wrath. Other than resto druids, the fights were pretty close.

When they went the route of buffing unpopular spec/classes to make people roll them, the roof came down. Due to that, cata and mop aren't going to get as much love.

As far as vanilla, if you enjoyed watching your toon go from 100-0 in warlock fears, those were the days. Paladins were worthless unless you were holy. Otherwise, you were just a buff-bot. Play feral? Sit on the bench. Want to tank? It better be a warrior.

The only good thing I say about vanilla is epic truly meant EPIC. Now epics are acquired and thrown away like kleenex.

Anyone that claims MoP or Cata are their favorites are obviously newcomers from that expansion. There's no way you can taste what those expansions brought to the table and say you're happy with the sampler platter from the later ones.

• 2 weeks later...

10th Anniversary has started.

Though 40 man Molten Core event represents everything bad about Warcraft, I love Southshore vs. Tarren Mill. This has been been a really good week in Warcraft.

Sub numbers back up to 10+ mill like the start of Mists, let's see if they hold this time.

• 7 months later...

They just announced yesterday that 6.2 was the final tier of the expansion. Just over 8 months in to the most expensive expansion ever with the 10% subscription price increase.

6.2 (well Hellfire) was the only thing not originally intended for launch, but delayed. They had the balls to call 6.1 the hotfix patch a major patch.

Seriously ridiculous when there's more content on some console RPGs than there is on a MMO expansion. It'll probably be at least a year if not 18 months till the next one, I'm not sticking around for it.

Questing was probably the only thing they got right, the end game was fucked. Cata had more raid bosses than this :(.

fyi They sent out emails that players who have been unsubscribed for at least the past 30 days can claim 7 days free game time until August 5th.

I heard about that. Ridiculous that they only had two patches this xpac. I stopped playing months ago. They deleted one of my wife's characters that was 90 and couldn't get it back for her because someone else already had the name, so between getting a free 90 boost for the xpac, they ended up giving her two more boosts and six months free play time. She stopped playing months ago, too.