Photography

downzy

Hey,

So I thought I'd start a thread for all photo hobbyists or professionals who frequent the forum. Everything from showing off your latest pictures to talking about photo gear.

I started my interest in photography seven years ago but recently became more and more interested in the hobby over the last two years. I upgraded my equipment in 2011 from an old Nikon D50 I bought it in 2006 to a Nikon D7000 while investing in a bunch of different lenses. Right now my "arsenal" includes the Nikkor 18-200mm, 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8G, and Tokina 11-16mm. I also have a Nikon SB700 Speedlight. I started to take on some paid gigs for family and friends who are looking for family/group shots of themselves and/or their kids. I also do a lot of traveling and get a lot of satisfaction from travel photography.

I'm hoping to upgrade some time next year and go full frame. Would also love to get some fast zoom lenses, like the Nikor 24-70 2.8 and the Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR. Would also love a proper macro lense. Eventually I'd like to shoot weddings and events when my schedule allows it, but I'm not there yet. It's something I enjoy doing regardless of the money (though the extra cash wouldn't hurt).

Here's a few of the shots I've taken over the years. Curious to see and hear from other photobugs on here.

10404626226_f6c29e7ccc.jpg10404900316_e937c8127c.jpg

10406199073_20878e7e39.jpg10406236506_52e2aa2ddc.jpg

10406428775_9c2791c0d6.jpg10407211243_41f6805b7e.jpg

10407117423_cf45cfcd45.jpg10404864543_cf56a34dd4.jpg10405246014_a06fe3ed38.jpg

Thanks Bran!

Hopefully other budding photographers on here will share some of their favourite shots.

Also, I'm constantly reading photography books so if anyone has any recommendations I'm always looking for my next read.

For those looking to get into photography I highly recommend books by Bryan Peterson. His books on exposure and flash really helped me when I was starting out a few years ago.

Nice shots. I'm not much of an action photography kind of guy, but it's something I can appreciate.

What kind of lenses are you using? Looks like a hell of a zoom.

Flash can be tricky at first, as it adds another layer to proper exposure. I've read a lot about it, but nothing beats real world practice.

You could probably live off your skills. Very impressive.

Thanks!

Edited by downzy

Great shots Downzy & Chris! :thumbsup: Interesting to see the talents in different areas. Stills and action are both so different.

I'm not a photographer but my partner is really proficient, he has a bunch of cameras but his pride and joy is a Hasselblad. Takes the most beautiful shots but everything on it is totally manual. It seems like a major pain in the ass to me. :lol: He used to be an art director and so I accompanied him quite a lot on ad shoots, the most complex being a campaign for Mercedes Benz. Photographing cars are one big fucking pain! The lighting is so complex and I was glad I didn't have to do anything but listen to music while they fucked around for hours. :lol:

I used to work as a stylist too and spent a fair bit of time on fashion shoots and I have the utmost respect for anyone who takes competent photographs. Most people have no idea how much work goes on to make a shot look perfect. Even with photoshop, there's still an extraordinary amount of effort behind every shot.

I use a Canon 100-400 as my primary zoom lens, it's expensive but gives amazing results.

Red I know what you mean about lighting on cars - knowing every curve is key to a good shot.

I'm messing about with light photography again now that its getting darker at night.

Yes, and especially photographing cars outdoors is a nightmare! Studio photography is piss easy in comparison. I remember being in the Grand Canyon and trying to shoot a Mercedes 4 wheel drive (actually, I should clarify the photographer was trying to shoot :lol:) where there was about a 45 minute window in which to effectively capture the image. Holy shit! What stress!

I should also add that at that moment the news were reporting two escaped murder prisoners from a local prison so we were all feeling a little extra pressure. :lol:

The early hours of October 31st 2010... I was walking along, then I saw something that moved me; So much so that I felt the need to document it.

31102010139.jpg

31102010141.jpg31102010135.jpg

31102010137.jpg

A couple of days later, the council had it removed, I'm glad I took these photos now.

These were from July 23rd 2012, when the Olympic torch passed my road in the run up to London 2012.

100_0129.jpg

100_0141.jpg

100_0157.jpg100_0148.jpg

100_0168.jpg

I saw this headline and I knew I just had to capture it.

September 2012

Photo0057_001.jpg

I use a Canon 100-400 as my primary zoom lens, it's expensive but gives amazing results.

Red I know what you mean about lighting on cars - knowing every curve is key to a good shot.

I'm messing about with light photography again now that its getting darker at night.

That's a nice lens. Yeah, I'm looking forward to the day where I can drop a couple grand on a lens. Not sure I'd ever go as big as 400mm as I'm not an action shooter, but I might look to rent something in that range if I ever do a trip to Africa.

I take it you use a tripod or are you able to hand-hold a lot of your shots?

I'm currently reading a book called On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography by Neil van Nieberk. It's pretty great at explaining the technical side of how to proper expose for on-camera flash imagery. Trying to balance the light from ambient and external flash sources has been tough but this book has helped me out a lot.

I suck in photohraphy, but I like doing it. Not worth posting though.

But I am a huge fan of Anton Corbijn, have all his books. That started in my teens (loved his Joy Division pictures) and I followed his career, since than.

Love his work. He is so good in 'ugly but still beautifull'.

Cool, I'll have to check him out.

I would recommend reading a book on exposure or composition MBRose. Even if you don't want to take it that seriously, you'll be amazed how much more you'll enjoy photography if you know how to manipulate the settings on your camera to get the look you want. There's really only three things you need to concern yourself: aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. Learn those three basic building blocks and you'll have more fun the next time you want to capture something cool.

I have a really nice camera, with many functions. But I hate reading instructions. Kind of silly I ever bought that camera.

It's a canon by the way.

I am good in compositions, I like to photograph faces especially. But the camera and how to use it fully, is still the problem.

You should check Corbijn out, he is actually one of the most famous. He does all the U2 and Depeche Mode album covers etc. He also does movies and videos and made the joy division movie as well. He was good friends with Curtis. I really love his work. When I was young, you could buy postcards of famous bands. I collected his cards, even when I didn't really like the band on it. But I just liked the picture.

He is good, love his keith Richards and johnny Cash pictures.

That's a nice lens. Yeah, I'm looking forward to the day where I can drop a couple grand on a lens. Not sure I'd ever go as big as 400mm as I'm not an action shooter, but I might look to rent something in that range if I ever do a trip to Africa.

I take it you use a tripod or are you able to hand-hold a lot of your shots?

Hand held panning shots for the majority of my Motorsport pictures, I think every single one I posted was hand held.

10425344216_efe62248de_b.jpg

Edited by Chris1989

I've studied photography, I only know how to print and develop black & white pictures.

I was trained how to take photos, load the film, take the film out, use the tools to open the film and do it with out looking in a special bag

mld8PbHBbUwFpmhAWEx_LBg.jpg

and also, how to use a projector, and what difference exposure times mean... If you leave it for 4 seconds, it's alright, 10 seconds, it's darker etc...

and the 3 trays. - Colour developing has 5 trays... - I only got to know how black & white photography works.

I had this one pretty cool photo that I was proud of... But I lost it.

It was some graffiti at my friend's college.. me and my buddy/photography partner, when we were 16 went to my friend's college just to see wassup (from our own college)... It was there where I took that photo... I miss that photo; and that tag isn't there no more. :(

Oh well.

Edited by Snake-Pit

That sucks Snake-Pit. Definitely one of the advantages now that we've (mostly) turned the corner on film and converted to digital is the ability to better save and store pictures.

I remember too being taught how to develop film back in high school. God, I still remember the heavy smell of the chemicals we used to develop the prints (thought I can't remember the names of the chemicals :))

Back before digital you really had to be committed to the craft since it involved so much work and was an expensive proposition with film and development costs.

However, there's something to be said with taking your time and trying to get a great shot. Nowadays people just snap away knowing they have an almost infinite number of chances to get a picture. Despite the transition to digital, i still think the great pictures are taken with the same amount of attention to detail and workmanship as the days of film. It's just now, with digital cameras, you don't have to worry so much about issues like film speed and white balancing.

Edited by downzy
  • Like 2

I partied the f**k out at that college... I remember buying Jack Daniels everyday at one point, and sneaking into class late and hiding in the dark room.

Was fun, only passed 1 subject, wasn't photography. - lack of course work.

Edited by Snake-Pit

If anyone here ever does mountain biking photography, PM me, I'd love to see your work. If you're good enough, I can get you published. :)

As I live just 10 miles from the trails, I may just send some over at some point...

Awesome, looking forward to it. I'll PM you now with what will increase your chances/ what we like.

I have a really nice camera, with many functions. But I hate reading instructions. Kind of silly I ever bought that camera.

It's a canon by the way.

I am good in compositions, I like to photograph faces especially. But the camera and how to use it fully, is still the problem.

You should check Corbijn out, he is actually one of the most famous. He does all the U2 and Depeche Mode album covers etc. He also does movies and videos and made the joy division movie as well. He was good friends with Curtis. I really love his work. When I was young, you could buy postcards of famous bands. I collected his cards, even when I didn't really like the band on it. But I just liked the picture.

He is good, love his keith Richards and johnny Cash pictures.

Corbijn is amazing. Really talented photographer and the Joy Division film was excellent. :thumbsup:

God, I still remember the heavy smell of the chemicals we used to develop the prints (thought I can't remember the names of the chemicals :))

Same. :)

I too remember the smell of the chemicals used and; Can't remember the names either. :lol:

It's a smell I'll never forget.

Edited by Snake-Pit