Other than Human Being and maybe SIDHY, I don't understand why people say Axl is good on TSI. Where else is he good? I guess HOTD, but he sounds almost cartoonish on that track. Lol at anyone who comes in here with some Ain't it Fun bullshit. :lol:

He sounds fucking horrible on Ain't it Fun. That entire song is dog shit.

You know, you've got a point. Outside of those two songs he really isn't all that good on TSI.

I love his voice on Down on the Farm but obviously it doesn't take as much effort.

Great production on it too. Great guitars, and Matt's drum sound is ace.

Plus Axl never sounded better. The album gets judged unfairly because its a covers album and because of it being the last real gnr album. But honestly for me, I listen to tracks off it more frequently than Appetite (for the most part).
Well yeah, the band sounded great. Unfortunately the songs were complete garbage.

Plus Axl never sounded better. The album gets judged unfairly because its a covers album and because of it being the last real gnr album. But honestly for me, I listen to tracks off it more frequently than Appetite (for the most part).
Well yeah, the band sounded great. Unfortunately the songs were complete garbage.
The songs are fine. But yeah it sounded much better production wise than UYI. It felt like a proper two guitar band again and Matt fit much better. An original album with that lineup (no Dizzy) would have been killer.

The songs were complete trash save for 3. Half of them should never have been recorded by their original artists, let alone covered by other bands.

Edited by bacardimayne

The songs weren't garbage, you just don't like punk rock.

Other than Human Being and maybe SIDHY, I don't understand why people say Axl is good on TSI. Where else is he good? I guess HOTD, but he sounds almost cartoonish on that track. Lol at anyone who comes in here with some Ain't it Fun bullshit. :lol:

That's the thing, he's good on everything. Ain't it fun might be the worst vocal performance (from Axl) on the album, and we all just learned (from that vocal comparision list) that it Ain't it fun is Axl's lowest vocal register song. So that even makes that song note worthy imo.

But as for the rest of Axl's performance on TSI, imo he out sings all of the original artists. That's one of the things that I have always loved about axl, and gnr in general, they out performed the orginal artists quite often. TSI is all examples of that imo. SIDHY pisses all over the original version, it's not even funny. Slash also plays his ass off on that album. He out plays the original versions also imo. I know if Lenny were here he'd get call bullocks on that. But that's honestly how I feel. TSI is a fucking great Axl and Slash album, is it not? I loved gnr the best when Axl and Slash were fucking kicking ass together, TSI does have that.

The songs weren't garbage, you just don't like punk rock.

Not really, but if a punk song is good I'll give it its fair dues. Shit like IDCAY, Raw Power and YCPYAAAM is just completely irredeemable.

That's the thing, he's good on everything. Ain't it fun might be the worst vocal performance (from Axl) on the album, and we all just learned (from that vocal comparision list) that it Ain't it fun is Axl's lowest vocal register song. So that even makes that song note worthy imo.

But as for the rest of Axl's performance on TSI, imo he out sings all of the original artists. That's one of the things that I have always loved about axl, and gnr in general, they out performed the orginal artists quite often. TSI is all examples of that imo. SIDHY pisses all over the original version, it's not even funny. Slash also plays his ass off on that album. He out plays the original versions also imo. I know if Lenny were here he'd get call bullocks on that. But that's honestly how I feel. TSI is a fucking great Axl and Slash album, is it not? I loved gnr the best when Axl and Slash were fucking kicking ass together, TSI does have that.

The band sounds good, but other than Human Being, which is one of my absolute favorite GNR tracks, I wouldn't care if I never heard anything off the album again. New Rose is really the only other song I find even slightly interesting.

I love it. Plus the Zodiac thing is just awesome.

I also like it, I also really liked the "vinyl" CD's. BTW what does that zodiac shit mean? Anyone know???

Fuck em all, I believe.

This Zodiac mistery solved here in mygnr ;)http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/196716-axls-history-of-personal-hints-regarding-a-songor-concept-on-the-next-album-in-the-previous-album/

I was the one who cracked that code. The minute I saw it, I recognized it as the cryptography Zodiac used in his letters (The FIncher film had become a personal favorite of mine at that point). It's amazing to me that in fifteen years, nobody recognized it for what it was and tried to reference it against Zodiac's cipher.

Of course, the night Axl paid us an unceremonious visit, I begged him to confirm that he was actually trying to say "FUCKEMALL" and it wasn't just some bizarre coincidence. He didn't respond to my quarry, but he did confirm that he prefers cherry Nyquil after a night on the town ( :wow: ).

• Like 2

I agree with everything you said- except I think Ain't it Fun is a killer track. I like the subtle nuances in Axl's voice on that song- like when it cracks. I think some of Slash's best work is on that record. Nevermind that its covers, that's just in keeping with the fact that Slash's best work has been in his contributions to other people's material. I get the impression that SI is the album that Slash was most happy with. He didn't seem happy with the Illusions. He seems to not recall much of the Lies era and it was still firmly Axl and Izzy's band on AFD. His playing certainly seems very prominent on SI. SI definitely has Axl and Slash out front and center. Aside from the Duff numbers, I dig everything on SI.

@The Dude,

I really like Ain't it fun also, but I get why people don't like the way Axl sounds on it. He does sound "different" on it. I love the whole I don't give a fuck nature of that song, and the album in general.

My biggest knock against Ain't it fun is that it some how ended up on greatest hits. I love the song, but their were better choices from TSI than Ain't it fun. Black leather, down on the farm, or hair of the dog (for sure) would have been better greatest hit choices imo.

Edited by Mike420

I still don't understand how GNR took a great song like Hair of the Dog, which seems like something they were born to cover, and did such an abhorrent job at it.

What don't you like about it? I think they did an awesome cover of it, one of the best songs on the album imo.

Good songs on TSI --- Human Being, New Rose

Songs that should have been good but aren't -- Down On The Farm, Hair Of The Dog, Ain't It Fun

Terrible songs -- Buick Mackane, Black Leather, Raw Power, Attitude, You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory, Look At Your Game Girl, I Don't Care About You

Interesting song, neither good nor bad -- Since I Don't Have You

• Like 1

Songs that should have been good but aren't -- Down On The Farm, Hair Of The Dog, Ain't It Fun

Terrible songs -- Buick Mackane, Black Leather, Raw Power, Attitude, You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory, Look At Your Game Girl, I Don't Care About You

I pretty much agree, though I think their Black Leather cover is one of the better ones on the album, and I do enjoy their Ain't It Fun, not that it comes close to the original.

I just think it's a weird collection of songs, not cohesive at all- I like most every song performed by the original artist, but not so much the GNR versions.

I pretty much agree, though I think their Black Leather cover is one of the better ones on the album, and I do enjoy their Ain't It Fun, not that it comes close to the original.

I just think it's a weird collection of songs, not cohesive at all- I like most every song performed by the original artist, but not so much the GNR versions.

Agreed. i like every song better by the original artist aside from the Charles Manson song, which is terrible by him

From what I remember, TSI was supposed to be a punk covers ep and I would assume the songs would have been New Rose, Down On The Farm, Attitude, Ain't It Fun and I Don't Care About You.

Somewhere along the line, they expanded upon their original idea and as you said, cohesiveness went out the window

• Like 1

It's funny how opinions vary so much on TSI. Probably CD has the most varied opinions, but TSI has to be a close 2nd. I personally love/like everything on it, but others hate pretty much everything on it.

For me it's the sound of the classic band that I love, and TSI has that. They could record the happy birthday song and I would like it as long as its Axl/Slash, lol. They are my favorite guitar/singer duo ever, they just sound perfect together imo. CD on the other hand completly lacks that sound, so it's harder for me to get into songs like riad and scraped because of the lack of Slash's guitar. I like most of CD and do feel it is a better album than TSI, but I enjoy TSI more tbh.

Edited by Mike420

I still don't understand how GNR took a great song like Hair of the Dog, which seems like something they were born to cover, and did such an abhorrent job at it.

Shit, I think they killed it. Their cover blows away the original imo. I hear people say that Axl's vocals are over the top and chessy- but that fits that song. Its not like its some kind of introspective, understated, or subtle song to begin with. Hell, over the top, overkill- that's the essence of Axl. What the hell are you (not you) doing listening to GNR if you don't dig overkill. Excess is GNR. Honestly though, I don't think the original Hair of the Dog holds a candle to Guns' version.

Shit, I think they killed it. Their cover blows away the original imo. I hear people say that Axl's vocals are over the top and chessy- but that fits that song. Its not like its some kind of introspective, understated, or subtle song to begin with. Hell, over the top, overkill- that's the essence of Axl. What the hell are you (not you) doing listening to GNR if you don't dig overkill. Excess is GNR. Honestly though, I don't think the original Hair of the Dog holds a candle to Guns' version.

I agree with this. I think Axl is a better singer than (the dude from Nazareth, I forget his name), and Slash is a better guitar player than the original as well. Don't get me wrong, the original is awesome, but gnr's has more power imo.

It's funny how opinions vary so much on TSI. Probably CD has the most varied opinions, but TSI has to be a close 2nd. I personally love/like everything on it, but others hate pretty much everything on it.

For me it's the sound of the classic band that I love, and TSI has that. They could record happy birthday song and I would like like it as long as its Axl/Slash, lol. They are my favorite guitar/singer duo ever, they just sound perfect together imo. CD on the other hand completly lacks that sound, so it's harder for me to get into songs like riad and scraped because of the lack of Slash's guitar. I like most of CD and do feel it is a better album than TSI, but I enjoy TSI more tbh.

I agree to a point, it (TSI?) has a great sound but it's so shallow...where CD has (I think) great songs ruined by too much tampering.

For the record, I would love to hear a full on Silkworms, Shacklers, Riad style album with Axl going all out and "experimental" - I would have preferred that to the cover all bases abortion that CD ended up being.

• Like 1

For me it's the sound of the classic band that I love, and TSI has that. They could record happy birthday song and I would like like it as long as its Axl/Slash, lol. They are my favorite guitar/singer duo ever, they just sound perfect together imo. CD on the other hand completly lacks that sound, so it's harder for me to get into songs like riad and scraped because of the lack of Slash's guitar. I like most of CD and do feel it is a better album than TSI, but I enjoy TSI more tbh.

I think SI and CD are really underrated albums. I think AFD and Lies are a bit overrated.

I don't tjhink of Spaghetti as the sound of the classic band though. Its not the classic band. Its not the same sound. AFD/LIes is Axl/Izzy's GNR. SI/UYI tour era is Axl/Slash's GNR. I love CD, but I hear ya on SI- it's a fun record and I think that's the tightest GNR ever sounded up to that point. I think Slash got angry during that era because Axl separated himself from the band, but I think he should have looked at it as a positive- he was now in charge of the band. I thought SI was a glimpse of the creative license and freedom that Axl wanted Slash to have. Maybe Slash didn't want the responsibility, maybe perceived it as Axl putting work off on him. Slash seemed like he wanted it both ways- he wanted creative control, but he didn 't want the responsibility of overseeing things. Axl may have wanted to kind of dictate the image and presentation of the band, but he seemed willing, seemed to want Slash to take over the inner mechanics/dynamics of the band- its kind of the way the Stones have operated since the 70's. Jagger is in charge of the marketing and image, but Richards is the bandleader. They haven't really been friends for 30 years, but they're still brothers with a working business relationship.

I agree, people forget but it was Slash that picked Traci and Roberta and all the "others". I do think Axl wanted Slash to be the band leader, and when he decided to focus his energies on Snakepit, it was a slap in Axl's face. (I'm not picking sides, just saying I understand). I am in a band, and its really hard to get egos to mesh together well, have everyone get along, and make good music. It's hard on my level, I can't imagine the microscope they were under. Everyone has their own ideas on how things should go, its having all Indians and no chiefs. Axl wanted to be the main chief (hence the name signing over), but I agree with you, he wanted Slash to take care of the bands day to day activities. Which that is hard to do when you are on tour with another band (Snakepit). That's probably one of the big reasons Axl even brought Tobias in, because Slash just plain wasn't there. I have watched a lot of Slash interviews from 94, 95, and 96 and he clearly has an "I don't give a fuck" type of attitude about the whole thing. That's not a productive attitude for trying to work together to make a new album, I don't care what anyone says, Slash is 50% the reason why gnr became what it is. He had this whole "I'm Slash and I'm the shit and I just want to be cool" type of ego about him from those days, its really apparant imo. Not saying Axl was innocent, or doesn't deserve 50% of the blame either, because he does, but Slash WAS a big problem during that time, I don't care what anyone says.

As I said, I'm in a band and their are two members of any band that should not do solo or outside work, the singer and lead guitar player. It fucks up bands when this happens. I agree with Axl, the things Slash was writting at that time, should have been meant for gnr, not Snakepit. Bassists and drummers are different, let them do solo shit if they want, but not singers and guitar players. Snakepit is one of the big reasons gnr imploded, sad but true.

• Like 1