Slash had no idea what the November Rain music video was about..

The idea that Slash is talking in a vacuum is also not really happening for me. Back in the day he doesn't want to do the songs, then 20 years later he's bagging on the videos. And there's no connection?! He's just being nice like he was about the reunion.

It's like Slash was on board with everything in GNR, Axl was his favorite guy then all of a sudden after the Illusions tour Axl wanted to do a industrial hip hop album. But really all the trouble started way back in the making of UYI.

• Like 1

There's an element of that. Past the era the videos are made in they look dated then kind of cheesy. Smashing Pumpkins did some elaborate videos at some point. A music video based around a wedding and it rains for dramatic effect is corny. But it's iconic. It's one of the few I remember. Thriller and Bad videos and Nov Rain. Like a Prayer Madonna video (kitschy as all hell!)

Corny or not, I don't see it as important.

Point being, Slash was in those videos and it gets old and obvious him making these kind of comments. It's petty.

But from Slash's side, after listening to his The List interview, he has a very clear he called it "musical personality", it's pretty much hard rock, with Zepp as pushing it or being progressive. So I understand his complaint, he didn't really sign up for Elton John songs. With Nov Rain, the sheer brilliance of it, changed the course of GNR and Slash was powerless outside of trying to block it.

It's a definitely a tough one. Was it too much or is it's popularity a cure all?

Slash seemed to have trouble seeing outside of his own mindset, and just getting a more I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine mentality. He pretty much tried on UYI but it obviously didn't sit well with him. These lingering discontented feelings eventually come out in the sessions for CD, a determination to not do it again. Slash seemed adamant about it.

I guess some people side with Slash and Izzy on this, but you can't argue with the success Nov Rain & Estranged have had with the GNR fanbase.

I've read a lot of Slash interviews and it's easy to derive from his words that he wanted to stop GNR from getting too big, from becoming U2 or Aerosmith or The Rolliing Stones. On the other hand, Axl was prepared to follow those stops and he wanted to be huge. In order to be huge like that, at that time or era, videos like this were necessary. Period.

Now, it's obvious too here's an answer to why GNR split. Slash wanted to be less famous and Axl wanted to transcend. The only way to transcend was to make epic music, like Elton John, like Queen... Axl couldn't understand how come Slash wanted to miss on such success. I don't understand either. But I accept there are people who can't deal with huge fame and it's not an easy thing.

Slash is promoting his album now. He's doing all those things he hates. There's no Axl to take care of this media mess now and he gets pissed off with questions about GNR, so now he bashes everything GNR related. Specially if they are questions about songs which have Axl's seal. No one asks him about Coma or Locomotive... It's frustrating 25 years later people can only remember those cheesy songs and those cheesy videos, right?

I'm sorry Slash but collective memory is disappointing like that.

• Like 1

There's an element of that. Past the era the videos are made in they look dated then kind of cheesy. Smashing Pumpkins did some elaborate videos at some point. A music video based around a wedding and it rains for dramatic effect is corny. But it's iconic. It's one of the few I remember. Thriller and Bad videos and Nov Rain. Like a Prayer Madonna video (kitschy as all hell!)

Point being, Slash was in those videos and it gets old and obvious him making these kind of comments. It's petty.

But from Slash's side, after listening to his The List interview, he has a very clear he called it "musical personality", it's pretty much hard rock, with Zepp as pushing it or being progressive. So I understand his complaint, he didn't really sign up for Elton John songs. With Nov Rain, the sheer brilliance of it, changed the course of GNR and Slash was powerless outside of trying to block it.

It's a definitely a tough one. Was it too much or is it's popularity a cure all?

Slash seemed to have trouble seeing outside of his own mindset, and just getting a more I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine mentality. He pretty much tried on UYI but it obviously didn't sit well with him. These lingering discontented feelings eventually come out in the sessions for CD, a determination to not do it again. Slash seemed adamant about it.

I guess some people side with Slash and Izzy on this, but you can't argue with the success Nov Rain & Estranged have had with the GNR fanbase.

I've read a lot of Slash interviews and it's easy to derive from his words that he wanted to stop GNR from getting too big, from becoming U2 or Aerosmith or The Rolliing Stones. On the other hand, Axl was prepared to follow those stops and he wanted to be huge. In order to be huge like that, at that time or era, videos like this were necessary. Period.

Now, it's obvious too here's an answer to why GNR split. Slash wanted to be less famous and Axl wanted to transcend. The only way to transcend was to make epic music, like Elton John, like Queen... Axl couldn't understand how come Slash wanted to miss on such success. I don't understand either. But I accept there are people who can't deal with huge fame and it's not an easy thing.

Slash is promoting his album now. He's doing all those things he hates. There's no Axl to take care of this media mess now and he gets pissed off with questions about GNR, so now he bashes everything GNR related. Specially if they are questions about songs which have Axl's seal. No one asks him about Coma or Locomotive... It's frustrating 25 years later people can only remember those cheesy songs and those cheesy videos, right?

I think you nailed it. But I think Slash wanted to be in a big band. But maybe more like ACDC or Aerosmith. He's just too cool to admit it. And he wasn't really big enough before the Illusions to just cut the cord before Nov Rain. He's kind of found himself in the Keef/Jagger situation except he couldn't stay in the band probably because Axl is way more ambitious than Jagger. Or Slash is more conservative/less flexible than Keef.

That's another thing most of UYI was a bust. People petitioned for Estranged to be played not Coma.

He's just saying he never understood the CONCEPT of the video. He isn't bashing the song or anything. And he is right. I mean what the fuck?! It starts to rain, all the people's just flipping off and Stephanie dies?! For what reason? Why jumping trough the wedding cake?

Can you tell me the concept?

All he said is he wasn't there. Just for his scenes.

Why searching for something negative in it?

Why are people so dumb?

Dude, I'd understand if a random fan says "uh oh ah I don't understand the concept, lolololol" but Slash??? WTF he's the main guitarist! It's his fucking band too! He didn't know nothing about the video? His sense of involvement and compromise to his job makes me want to pick him as the employee of the century.

That carelessness he talks about now and the way he poses as "I'm too cool to care about anything" is what is annoying and retarded. He's bashing the video, a video where he appears and now he acts as "I never knew I was in that video, was I?". Pffff...

You are looking for something that isn't there. Why this makes you so mad I don't know. You sound crazy right now. Plus, he was on drugs back then remember? You really think he took the time to discuss the storyline of this senseless video?

Irrelevant to why he keeps taking the piss out of it. Whether he was high or doesn't like it, be more professional, just give a pat answer and move on. Slash doesn't no which way to go I guess. Some fans don't want him to say he hated Nov Rain, it's part of why they like him. but on the other some like get where he's coming from in not wanting to do it.

Terrified of Democracy!!!

• Like 1

FFS, seriously? It's widely known the trilogy videos were Axl's babies and that the others participated out of obligation. And while they may have appealed to a legion of teenage girls who weren't otherwise fans, compared to the videos that virtually every other rock act of that particular moment in time not named Meatloaf was making, they were hilariously cheesy and awkward.

I havent read the whole topic. But if u watch the making of the videos Axl explains how alot of people didnt understand the November Rain video, and Estranged video concept was originally supposed to explain what happened. But him and Stephanie broke up so they went with a different concept. Hence making of videos part 4, instead of 3 which it should have been. Not that hard to read between the lines.

I think you nailed it. But I think Slash wanted to be in a big band. But maybe more like ACDC or Aerosmith. He's just too cool to admit it. And he wasn't really big enough before the Illusions to just cut the cord before Nov Rain. He's kind of found himself in the Keef/Jagger situation except he couldn't stay in the band probably because Axl is way more ambitious than Jagger. Or Slash is more conservative/less flexible than Keef.

That's another thing most of UYI was a bust. People petitioned for Estranged to be played not Coma.

Most of them wanted to build up a body of work and progress with each album, not radically change with each album. Mid 90s, the band was in no shape to continue and should have just disbanded at the time. Axl saw it a different way (as a new challenge when there were no more challenges?). It's always going to be debated.

Edited by dalsh327

Most of them wanted to build up a body of work and progress with each album, not radically change with each album. Mid 90s, the band was in no shape to continue and should have just disbanded at the time. Axl saw it a different way (as a new challenge when there were no more challenges?). It's always going to be debated.

It seemed like they wanted to progress by doing more of what they liked to do? Slash and Izzy might be on the same page or maybe not.

Axl may have seen other 90s bands like Faith No More changing from album to album, NIN and Smashing Pumpkins doing interesting stuff like that too.

Long term we've seen Axl's material come to the forefront. If not in bundles, he was at least doing something people wanted. Slash doesn't really play much of even his own UYI material live. Bad Obsession even though it's not his song exclusively, he was a big part of it and they played it on UYI a lot. Nobody talks about it now.

Holy fuck are you stupid? Obviously it's a funeral. The coffin is split in half though. Do you know what happened to her? Does anybody know what happened to her. Your pathetic attempt to bitch and complain about Slash makes you look like an ass. Boo fucking hoo Slash's passive agressiveness trying to humilate Axl's songs. Are you serious? At not point did he try to do that. he simply stated he doesn't know what the video was supposed to be about. Why does Stephanie look less than happy to be married when they get into the car? Why does she die? Why is the coffin split in two? You have to be a real dipshit to sit there and think Slash is trying to humiliate Axl's song and even worse be upset about it . Read your original post. You completely made up a whole bunch of bullshit that's not even there.

The only stupid and idiots here are you and Slash. I'll tell you why:

SLASH - if him, being the main guitarist, funding member of a band that is making a video to promote a song, that is a hit single from an album that is selling lots of records and making your fucking band popular all over the fucking world, DOESNT KNOW what the fucking video he's gonna put his face on and spend considerable time in front of a camera acting parts like an actor, IS ABOUT....... then tell me who the hell else is supposed to know this???

HE IS!!!! He has Axl, Duff, Andy Morahan, Stephanie Seymour, Del James and the whole crew right to his fucking side, here and there, wherever he turns to, they are around, working with him side by side... and it never occurred to him that he could go ask one of those people, his coworkers, "hey, what's the concept behind this?"

Can someone seriously think that the director didn't have a meeting with all people involved and explained what they were going to do? Can someone seriously say there wasn't a script for the video, a storyboard, something written that guides the work?

Honestly, I think he's lying because that level of unprofessionalism is not compatible with the efforts needed to film a video like that and have a final product of that sort. So either he's lying or trying to make the video look stupid. In the end, the only stupid is him, because what does that say about him? That he is a guy who didn't take his job seriously or that he was too cool to care... ?? Whatever, in neither situation do I find him cool or funny. His attitude is pathetic and it's not innocent either.

YOU - couldn't have one minute of enlightenment and look up for the answers, huh?

Here. You're welcome.

"As stated at the end of the video, "November Rain" is based on the short story "Without You" by Del James, available in his 1995 book The Language of Fear. The story concerns a rock star grieving over the death of his on-and-off-again girlfriend, who had committed suicide (inspired by Rose's troubled relationship with Erin Everly). While much speculation exists about how Seymour's character in the video died, the relationship between the video clip and James' short story strongly suggests that she kills herself. She appears looking visibly troubled during one shot of the wedding and during the funeral sequence, a mirror is visible, covering over half her face, a technique used by funeral homes to allow victims of head trauma to have the appearance of a full face in the event of an open casket funeral."

Holy fuck are you stupid? Obviously it's a funeral. The coffin is split in half though. Do you know what happened to her? Does anybody know what happened to her. Your pathetic attempt to bitch and complain about Slash makes you look like an ass. Boo fucking hoo Slash's passive agressiveness trying to humilate Axl's songs. Are you serious? At not point did he try to do that. he simply stated he doesn't know what the video was supposed to be about. Why does Stephanie look less than happy to be married when they get into the car? Why does she die? Why is the coffin split in two? You have to be a real dipshit to sit there and think Slash is trying to humiliate Axl's song and even worse be upset about it . Read your original post. You completely made up a whole bunch of bullshit that's not even there.

The only stupid and idiots here are you and Slash. I'll tell you why:

SLASH - if him, being the main guitarist, funding member of a band that is making a video to promote a song, that is a hit single from an album that is selling lots of records and making your fucking band popular all over the fucking world, DOESNT KNOW what the fucking video he's gonna put his face on and spend considerable time in front of a camera acting parts like an actor, IS ABOUT....... then tell me who the hell else is supposed to know this???

HE IS!!!! He has Axl, Duff, Andy Morahan, Stephanie Seymour, Del James and the whole crew right to his fucking side, here and there, wherever he turns to, they are around, working with him side by side... and it never occurred to him that he could go ask one of those people, his coworkers, "hey, what's the concept behind this?"

Can someone seriously think that the director didn't have a meeting with all people involved and explained what they were going to do? Can someone seriously say there wasn't a script for the video, a storyboard, something written that guides the work?

Honestly, I think he's lying because that level of unprofessionalism is not compatible with the efforts needed to film a video like that and have a final product of that sort. So either he's lying or trying to make the video look stupid. In the end, the only stupid is him, because what does that say about him? That he is a guy who didn't take his job seriously or that he was too cool to care... ?? Whatever, in neither situation do I find him cool or funny. His attitude is pathetic and it's not innocent either.

YOU - couldn't have one minute of enlightenment and look up for the answers, huh?

Here. You're welcome.

"As stated at the end of the video, "November Rain" is based on the short story "Without You" by Del James, available in his 1995 book The Language of Fear. The story concerns a rock star grieving over the death of his on-and-off-again girlfriend, who had committed suicide (inspired by Rose's troubled relationship with Erin Everly). While much speculation exists about how Seymour's character in the video died, the relationship between the video clip and James' short story strongly suggests that she kills herself. She appears looking visibly troubled during one shot of the wedding and during the funeral sequence, a mirror is visible, covering over half her face, a technique used by funeral homes to allow victims of head trauma to have the appearance of a full face in the event of an open casket funeral."

lol you're fucking insane

I just don't get Slash when it comes to the ballads they made. He hated SCOM but it made him a guitar god.

He said he hate Don't Cry, NR and Estranged but those songs along with SCOM mad him what he is today, which he is still considered a guitar god.

He will be most remembered by those 4 songs and the bad ass solo's he put on them.

I think the real reason he hated NR and Estranged was Axl's piano work, l really think it scared him that it might take away some of his thunder and he really didn't understand piano how to play piano and how it works and for the most part Axl wrote these songs. Yes everyone kicked in a thing or two but they where Axl's babies. I think why the solos are so good on these two songs is the piano work pushed Slash to have a bad ass solo.

So what it boils down too is Slash putting down the songs and video of the trilogy and SCOM that made him what he is today.

Coma was Slashs baby and Slashes work on that song pushed Axl to have some bad ass lyrics and singing still to compete with Slash.

Competition is not a bad thing, alot of times that is when your best comes out.

But in GNR's case they had 2 huge ass egos and if they can't comprise they will and did fall apart. Just take the Rolling Stones and the riff with Kieth and Mick both with huge egos at the time of the split and when they got back together it stated in both of there contracts they did want see each other in the studio. But for the Rolling Stones it was all about money.

• Like 1

FFS, seriously? It's widely known the trilogy videos were Axl's babies and that the others participated out of obligation. And while they may have appealed to a legion of teenage girls who weren't otherwise fans, compared to the videos that virtually every other rock act of that particular moment in time not named Meatloaf was making, they were hilariously cheesy and awkward.

Which are those other incredible amazing videos of such rock acts you talking about?

I don't know any other band that in 1992 was similar to Guns N' Roses.

The 'trilogy' is ghastly. It ruined GN'R forever. Izzy hated it also. I would respect Slash more if he said the whole thing was a 'piece of cack'.

Yet it is why Slash is who he is today. Without UYI and their videos GNR would have been a one hit album band with a little controversy to their name. Funny how Izzy is just another no name solo artist that happened to be in GNR and writes great songs. Yet Slash still has a popular solo career. I wonder why....

I just don't get Slash when it comes to the ballads they made. He hated SCOM but it made him a guitar god.

He said he hate Don't Cry, NR and Estranged but those songs along with SCOM mad him what he is today, which he is still considered a guitar god.

He will be most remembered by those 4 songs and the bad ass solo's he put on them.

I think the real reason he hated NR and Estranged was Axl's piano work, l really think it scared him that it might take away some of his thunder and he really didn't understand piano how to play piano and how it works and for the most part Axl wrote these songs. Yes everyone kicked in a thing or two but they where Axl's babies. I think why the solos are so good on these two songs is the piano work pushed Slash to have a bad ass solo.

So what it boils down too is Slash putting down the songs and video of the trilogy and SCOM that made him what he is today.

Coma was Slashs baby and Slashes work on that song pushed Axl to have some bad ass lyrics and singing still to compete with Slash.

Competition is not a bad thing, alot of times that is when your best comes out.

But in GNR's case they had 2 huge ass egos and if they can't comprise they will and did fall apart. Just take the Rolling Stones and the riff with Kieth and Mick both with huge egos at the time of the split and when they got back together it stated in both of there contracts they did want see each other in the studio. But for the Rolling Stones it was all about money.

Great comment and input :)

I think he does this because he needs to shut down the voices that still talk to him about GNR. HE moved forward. That's what he makes clear every time he has a chance. He's repeated over and over that GNR is his past and he doesn't even consider it a huge thing (in his own world, of course). So in order to not be asked about GNR anymore he has started bashing the popular songs, the "cheesy ones", which coincidentally happened to be written by Axl and are about Axl's romances.

He hates his music has transcended due to these ballads and not Coma, for example.... I understand him and some days I'd prefer Coma all the way over Nov Rain and Don't Cry, but boy, Coma is a heavy shitload and people, normal people, regular people, at the end of a hard day just wanna melt down and listen to a sweet ballad. Sorry Slash :/

It probably didn't help that GNR sold 100mil records in 3 years what most big bands sell in a career. So they didn't need the money so much. Stones only started to make big money on those tours in 90s. GNR just landed on the sweet spot of rock money wise.

and Nov Rain was a success which gave Axl confidence. And GNR probably had more freedom of any band since The Beatles to really do what the fuck they liked. But that somehow that got in their way.

But the thing is Axl had Nov Rain back for AFD, and they agreed to leave it off AFD and save, but when the time came, Slash was like no we just do AFD type material. and that holds with everything he's said about his taste and style.

and after all that CD isn't really far out of Slash's zone, it's a little past Zepp with the 90s influences here and there and it's got piano ballads and some nu metal rockers and If the World, which isn't far from a Bond theme tune. Just with Slash play guitar on this songs. Add a couple of Slash rockers and it's easy a GNR album even without Izzy.

I'm not sure but I haven't read about a band so uncompromising with each other, who found it so hard to find common ground to the point where they just couldn't have a normal career. Or maybe that is common and Aerosmith and Stones are satans little helpers. U2 and Metallica have jumped through some hoops to stay together.

Yeah, you're right. I always say Axl doesn't owe us anything in the end because he was able to retire at 35 years old. If he makes music now is because he wants to but not because he needs to make money.

AFD itself is a money machine that will feed him forever. Too bad he doesn't have offspring who could benefit from a life of "no work", hehehe

The reason why bands like the RS, U2 or Metallica stay together is because they don't have a Slash who is jealous as fuck of the singer and wants to be popular and unpopular at the same time. And also because they don't have a singer who is insecure and paranoid and perfectionist.

It all reduces to ego, I think. And professionalism. And tolerance.

We needed more Duffs in the band.