Is Frank Sidoris a good rhythm guitarist?

IRanOutOfIdeas

Apparently Slash has a rhythm guitarist in his band. This is the first I've ever heard of such a subject. How long has he been in the band?

Is he a good player? How does he compare to say...Gilby Clarke? I really think Gilby should have joined the band. I have a soft spot for him and it'd get him out of the mediocrity he's been in since he got the boot.

He's been around since the beginning of the Apocalyptic Love Tour in 2012, I think to my recollection. I think he's ok. He goes in and does his job as a touring guitarist without any bad distinctions. Everyone in the band likes him enough. As for including him in whatever future studio recordings? Ehhhh, hmmmm, I don't think that's happening. Slash probably made things clear that he's not really looking for another guitarist to play off ideas with like he did with Izzy for this solo band.

Edited by Anguyen92

Frank pulls off the live shows. He has nothing to do with the writing or recording process though. An interesting fact I found out while watching the Reel to Reel special they had on AxsTV was that Frank is only 24 years old.. I would say he is doing pretty good for himself.

I prefer him over Bobby Schneck..

He's been around since the beginning of the Apocalyptic Love Tour in 2012, I think to my recollection. I think he's ok. He goes in and does his job as a touring guitarist without any bad distinctions. Everyone in the band likes him enough. As for including him in whatever future studio recordings? Ehhhh, hmmmm, I don't think that's happening. Slash probably made things clear that he's not really looking for another guitarist to play off ideas with like he did with Izzy for this solo band.

Isn't Myles in the Izzy role when it comes to rhythm guitar on the last two Slash albums?

Not really, exactly. After all, Slash pretty much did all the guitars on World on Fire. That said, if Myles has any guitar ideas to add on Slash's ideas and it helps, he is free to do so. I think this part of the interview on Ultimate-Guitar kinda makes things a bit clearer of what I'm trying to get.

You mentioned earlier Myles Kennedy is not playing any guitars on this album. Why?

When it comes to guitars, I know this is gonna sound crazy but I never intended to be in a two-guitar band. When Guns N' Roses came together, Izzy was already in it and he was already very tight with Axl and that's the way it went. It was fine. He and I had a certain unique double-guitar kind of thing. I wouldn't say the approach was unique but the way it sounded and the contrast between our guitar sounds was unique. It turned out to be a really cool double-guitar kind of thing. But since I've been working with Izzy, I only like two guitars for live.

Which is why Myles plays guitar for all the live shows.

In the studio, I'm not looking for somebody to bounce ideas off of. You can't always get two guys with two different guitars to do something noticeably unique. You can do harmonies and play off of each other but to have the kind of chemistry Izzy and I had, you don't know if you're ever gonna find that again.

Myles did play guitar on "Apocalyptic Love."

When I'm working with Myles in the studio, he is a great guitar player. He and I have a good rapport but he doesn't really wanna play guitar. He wants to sing. So when we did the last record, there was a lot of pressure on him because he was out with Alter Bridge and he came into the studio when we were actually recording. So he had to learn all the guitars really fast and then he had to write all the lyrics. Or finish writing the lyrics and get the vocals done within a certain time frame.

So on this record it was a pretty easy decision in just having Myles do vocals?

Yeah, on this record he was like, "I'd really rather do vocals and not have to worry about learning all the guitar parts and coming up with whatever needs to be done here." I was like, "Cool. I'll do all the guitars" because then I can focus on everything I'm hearing two guitars to do and the harmonies and the different rhythmic things. I know exactly what they are and I can make it sound very cohesive.

You know exactly what this Slash guy will play, right?

As opposed to trying to make it like two guitars where, "Oh, this guy plays this way and this guy plays that way" [laughs]. It's just impossible to do because you play like how you play. But you can change your tone a little bit and you can do different chord voicings and some real different rhythms and you know exactly what they are. So to me it works out well.

Even if you had a second guitar player, that person would be playing your ideas anyway.

Myles is such an incredible guitar player and he teaches me stuff. I'll see him doing stuff because he's obviously way more schooled and I'll be like, "What the f--k is that?" and it's some crazy a-s pattern and he'll show it to me. I'm like, "Wow, that's neat." But when it comes to what we're doing as a band, he's very much more focused on his vocals than he is on the guitar.

Also, Myles plays guitar in Alter Bridge so not having him play guitar with you changes things up.

Yeah, he does. Also when I write stuff and I send it to him, if he hears anything he can always put it on guitar and he'll show me what the basic is that he was thinking. So we definitely work from two-guitar ideas.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/slash_you_cant_always_get_two_guys_with_two_different_guitars_to_do_something_unique.html

Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 1

Isn't Myles in the Izzy role when it comes to rhythm guitar on the last two Slash albums?

I believe Slash did all the guitars this time around. I think it was in the Reel to Reel where Myles says that he concentrated 100% on the vocals this time around where as last time he was also involved in the guitars parts somewhat. I must say that the results are a whole lot better.

Slash probably made things clear that he's not really looking for another guitarist to play off ideas with like he did with Izzy for this solo band.

Maybe he doesn't need another Izzy, but what about having Frank record the guitar parts, even if he doesn't write them? I mean, he's playing them live anyway.

Frank kind of looks like Myles in a way. And he also plays a Firebird too, so he gets a thumbs up in my book.

I don't think Slash is looking for an Izzy though, he's just looking for a competent rhythm guitarist, no more no less. He's not one to do a dual lead thing like he did with Zak Wylde during their Voodoo Child cover in '94. He's the star of the show.