Obesity and politics

Lio

Last weekend, a tweet from a Flemish US correspondent caused some discussion here.

In Belgium, we have a new government and the new minister of Health is an obese woman, Maggie De Block. She’s a GP as well. Everyone thinks she’s a very capable and intelligent person, so there is no reason to doubt she’ll do a good job, and since she has worked as a GP for 25 years, she’s an expert in the field of healthcare.

Back to the journalist. In his tweet he asks if there is no credibility issue, the minister of Health being obese. He also refers to Chris Christie, a US governor who may not be found suitable as a presidential candidate because of his obesity, in a country that struggles with obesity.

What do you think ? Can an obese politician become a minister of Health or a president ? Should (s)he only be judged on his/her qualities and capabilities ? Or should (s)he, as a role model, have a healthy weight ?

Chris Christie is the best chance the Republicans have of fielding a relatively sane candidate obesity or no obesity.

I'd much rather have a fatty in power than a religious nut or somebody who can't keep his dick in his pants.

• Like 1

The correspondent has sent an open letter already. He advised the minister to start a health campaign and join in herself. It hadn't crossed my mind that she'd have a credibility issue, though of course I can see that there might be one, and she is the most popular Belgian politician at the moment. Says a lot about us actually. The one that used to be the most popular, used to be morbidly obese too, but he has been following a very strict diet, combined with a lot of exercise, and he's thin now. People saying they don't like him anymore, he's lost his sense of humour etc. We seem to love fatties.

The correspondent has sent an open letter already. He advised the minister to start a health campaign and join in herself. It hadn't crossed my mind that she'd have a credibility issue, though of course I can see that there might be one, and she is the most popular Belgian politician at the moment. Says a lot about us actually. The one that used to be the most popular, used to be morbidly obese too, but he has been following a very strict diet, combined with a lot of exercise, and he's thin now. People saying they don't like him anymore, he's lost his sense of humour etc. We seem to love fatties.

Yesss, well, they're sort of...jolly, aren't they, some of em? :lol:

Yesss, well, they're sort of...jolly, aren't they, some of em? :lol:

Jolly, yes, exactly, that's the word :lol: Here's the before and after:

201209011337-1_bart-de-wever-verloor-al-

Chris Christie is the best chance the Republicans have of fielding a relatively sane candidate obesity or no obesity.

I'd much rather have a fatty in power than a religious nut or somebody who can't keep his dick in his pants.

No. What we need is a fundie who Turkey slaps his foes into oblivion. Like leave a good lashing of smegma on their cheek.

Would you go to an obese doctor?

Christie's chance to run for president has diminished in a big way over the past year. It doesn't mean he won't run, but it's going to depend who else is running.

I don't know if I'd go to an obese doctor. She's obviously had remarks about that, but she just shrugs them off, saying they should focus on what she does, not what she looks like. She says patients come to her because she's a good doctor, and her obesity doesn't matter. Of course, it's not a matter of how she looks. It's not about looks, it's a health issue. Some people say she should use her position to raise awareness and try to do something about the obesity, as a role model should, I suppose. A chain smoking minister of Health would get more criticism, while they are basically both health hazards.

A man like Chris Christie wouldn't have any problems here to become a prime minister. (Based on obesity, I mean.) Fat jokes aside, we wouldn't let our judgment be influenced by a person's weight. It's interesting that the tweet came from the US correspondent, as that is the response he's getting in the US, the perception is totally different.

I'd go to an obese doctor, just cuz someone doesnt look after their own health doesnt mean they are less qualified to do a doctors work, whats the fact that they choose not to look after their own health got to do with the extent of their expertise in the medical profession? Fuck all, you ain't supposed to mimic your doctors lifestyle, you're supposed to do what they say not what they do.

My doctor is pretty wrecked up. He's always drunk and prescribes all kinds of drugs at the drop of the hat. Diet pills and vice a go go. He always gives me an aids test whatever is wrong with me. He's like everyone else, just hoping I have aids. Fingers crossed!

I'd go to an obese doctor, just cuz someone doesnt look after their own health doesnt mean they are less qualified to do a doctors work, whats the fact that they choose not to look after their own health got to do with the extent of their expertise in the medical profession? Fuck all, you ain't supposed to mimic your doctors lifestyle, you're supposed to do what they say not what they do.

My GP when I was younger, was a chainsmoker, so yes, not the best role model either. That's what she says, our Health minister, I mean, that she's a good doctor and that that's all that matters. But that's like being a parent and telling your kids they can't eat sweets all the time, because it's not good for you, and then eat a ton of chocolate yourself.

I guess I would go to a fat doctor, but I see the issue. I went to a dietician once and she was fatter than me. She wasn't going to tell me what I should or shouldn't eat. Only went once and never visited a dietician again.

As long as she can do her job I don't really see any problem.

Also, what is the reason she's fat? Is she just lazy and enjoys sweets too much, or does she have some metabolism problems?

I honestly couldn't care less if a minister here was fat as long as the job was handled professionally.

I think she's always been overweight. She's a woman with a very busy career and doesn't have the time for a healthy lifestyle. It's a mixture of metabolism and not living healthy, I think. I have no problems with her being the Health minister, she knows the field and is a hard worker, and that's more than I can say of other politicians. It's just a bit... unfortunate that she is morbidly obese.