Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War (PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS FOR THE FIRST WEEK)

Nosaj Thing

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy. 

I just realized the downside of Disney bringing the X Men into the MCU.

Avengers 4 with Jenifer Lawrence as the fucking star. The plot built and designed around giving her screen time while everyone else is reduced to a side character or a cameo.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2018 at 3:01 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Every Marvel character that has had their own movie is now in this one.

Anyone know how long this sucker is going to be? lol

I can't wait for this movie. I hope every character gets their time to shine.

I saw a bigger Grout and Rocket, so I'm good. ;)

1200px-Applying_grout.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Amir said:

Saw this yesterday, my review here (SPOILERS): https://letterboxd.com/amirmoosavi/film/avengers-infinity-war/

Speaking of...

Are we going to have a spoilers thread or a spoilers free thread like we do with Star Wars?

I won two tickets to my local theater for being the first person on their FB page to answer correctly about all the Infinity Stones and their locations.

Seen it early today.

Thought it was enjoyable, until the final 3rd.

Spoiler

Didn't like the CGI battle in Black Panther and it's the same here.

Although I liked the ending, they kill off the wrong characters. I get the idea that want to leave you with the idea that maybe this is real since they killed off characters/side characters that weren't regulars in the previous avengers films.

However I'd have bought killing off Iron Man or Captain America more than them killing off Black Panther, Spiderman and the Guardians of the Galaxy (due to the obvious Guardians 3). Doctor Strange, Vision and Scarlet Witch I could buy, but not the previously mentioned.

I did like that there were a few fake scenes in some trailers (not in film AKA Loki). Although I assume Loki will be back next year.

So I guess part 4 is, the Gauntlet resurrects the dead? 

Still better than most marvel films in my opinion.

*Note I didn't sit through the credits.

Edited by AtariLegend

• downzy changed the title to Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War (PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS FOR THE FIRST WEEK)
3 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

Speaking of...

Are we going to have a spoilers thread or a spoilers free thread like we do with Star Wars?

I won two tickets to my local theater for being the first person on their FB page to answer correctly about all the Infinity Stones and their locations.

Going to keep to one thread this time, but as I noted in the threat title, spoiler tags are to be used at least for the first week or so.  

Anything spoilerish please use spoiler tags.  Warning points and suspensions will be handed out for those who do not comply or willingly attempt to spoil the movie for those who have not seen it.

My friend saw it yesterday at a pre-screening event.  He's the biggest marvel/comic book nerd/lover I know and for him, this was his favourite movie so far.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, downzy said:

Going to keep to one thread this time, but as I noted in the threat title, spoiler tags are to be used at least for the first week or so.  

Anything spoilerish please use spoiler tags.  Warning points and suspensions will be handed out for those who do not comply or willingly attempt to spoil the movie for those who have not seen it.

My friend saw it yesterday at a pre-screening event.  He's the biggest marvel/comic book nerd/lover I know and for him, this was his favourite movie so far.  

And be careful with PMs! Some fucknugget spoiled TLJ for me back in December.

• Like 1

I had 5 reddit chat messages a few days ago, and I never get reddit chat messages. I avoided them until I saw the film and then they seemed to have disappeared. I had a feeling it was people trying to spoil the film, I guess they must have got reported and their messages removed.

It's feeling like they're leaving that question ambiguous for the purpose of a prequel movie later.  Which, for me, is a rather lame thing to do.  

Who knows, maybe JJ can undo as much as possible the wreckage that Johnson left in his wake with the next one.  Should have just let JJ do all three.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downzy said:

It's feeling like they're leaving that question ambiguous for the purpose of a prequel movie later.  Which, for me, is a rather lame thing to do.  

Who knows, maybe JJ can undo as much as possible the wreckage that Johnson left in his wake with the next one.  Should have just let JJ do all three.

After the dumpster fire that was The Last Jedi I don’t know if I’m even going to watch Episode 9. Still to this day haven’t been able to sit through Revenge of the Sith. 

12 minutes ago, Dazey said:

After the dumpster fire that was The Last Jedi I don’t know if I’m even going to watch Episode 9. Still to this day haven’t been able to sit through Revenge of the Sith. 

Yeah, for the life of me I have no idea how anyone tries to justify Revenge of the Sith.  It's just terrible, from beginning to end.  In my opinion, it's the worst Star Wars movie ever made considering how badly they botched Anakin's transition to Vader.  The previous two were just poorly executed and long drawn-out preambles, but the stakes were so much higher for the main event and it just sucked.  Nothing good about it.  Pacing, dialogue, performances, plot, direction, production - all terrible.  I remember saying to my friend "well, the last two sucked but there's no way they can botch this" before seeing it in theatres only to walk out of the theatre laughing a few hours later.  

I'm hoping that by the time Ep. IX comes out I'll have forgotten how much I hated TLJ and will keep an open mind.  Kind of like having a second kid; you only do it because you forget how terrible the first two months were the last time around.  

Anyway, back on topic, I'm seeing Infinity War tonight.  Probably the only film I'm looking forward to seeing this year.  

I walked out of this film pleased, but not as pleased as I felt when I first saw Joss Whedon's Avengers.

That, at the time, felt like a real first. It succeeded in telling a massively ambitious film where each overstuffed hero got to shine on their own and in the context of the group. It was joyous and felt revolutionary.

This film, while done very well for what it's parameters were, isn't revolutionary. I think that's too bad, but maybe nothing could have sufficed in this world of cape over-saturation. There are always several balls in the air at any given time, but some just don't amount to much in terms of what people do in significance. 

Without talking about anything specific, everybody knows this is a film with titanic stakes. They know that some people are going to die and there is going to be a sense of loss. I was just surprised that there wasn't more emotional resonance from the heroes who don't make it. If Marvel is truly going to kill off a handful of these franchises (dubious, some sequels are in the works for people who "die") I should have felt more for them when their number came up. I can't say that they got the full feeling from the people they sacrificed. 

Edited by downzy
Added spoiler tags to part of the post.

Just got back from seeing it.  

Definitely a step up from Avengers 2.  A huge undertaking that didn't always work but for me was probably the best that could be accomplished considering all the moving parts.  

The ending definitely surprised me; not what I was expecting but interesting take.  

A few spoiler related comments:

- When they were making Thor's new hammer and Thor is running around in space, what exactly what he breathing when he was out of breath?

- I seriously doubt that most of the characters who died in this film will remain dead.  We already know that there are sequels in the works for many of the characters who were killed off, so as surprised as I was to see so many of them die, the fact Marvel has already announced future movies with these characters kind of ruins the moment.

- I thought they did a great job with Thanos; building him into a character with more depth than I thought possible considering the time and logistical constraints.

- Nice to see Red Skull again

- The new spider-man suit was brilliant.  I've read they don't plan on using it for future Spider-Man films, which is kind of a shame considering how great it looked and worked).

-  The Guardians of the Galaxy characters have been Marvel's best on-screen characters and continue to be in this movie, with one exception:

- Thor's return with the new hammer was pretty epic (though, kind of shitty he took so long to get to Thanos).  

I walked into this almost completely spoiler free, so I was surprised.

Spoiler

The only spoiler I saw was Red Skull made an appearance. I accidentally read that on wiki.

As someone who’s read the comics, I’m not too worried about these heroes being killed off, not to mention they all have sequels. The only one I’m wondering about is Gamora. 

I assumed the Infinity War would just be one movie when they changed it from Infinity War Part 1 and Part 2, so I was surprised at how long it took Thanos to get all the stones and snap half the universe out of existence. 

The next two Marvel movies are also prequels. Ant-Man and Wasp takes place before IW, Black Widow(?) said Scott was on house arrest because of Civil War. And Captain Marvel takes place in the 90s. That’s also who Fury was contacting at the end. I knew the logo looked familiar.

Good movie, I don’t think it’s going to break Avatar though. Some co-workers said it’s obvious it’ll beat Avatar. 

Edited by luciusfunk
spoiler tags hid non spoilers

For those of you who have both seen the film and have also read the original Infinity Gauntlet comic from 1991:

would you say that the spoilers in this film are still surprising, even if you're already familiar with the comic version of this story?

i might see the movie tomorrow, if I have time

Edited by rocknroll41