Talks under way to make Reckless Road into a movie. Marc Canter confirms it will not be a documentary.

I don't get why Axl was always so precious about the output of Gn'R. I understand that he denies a part of the legacy, but that can only damage what people get to experience and that, in turn, damages what those guys built together. It has a better chance to not be forgotten if fans get to connect as much as possible to the songs, the shows, and the legend of Guns N' Roses. We deserve to get cool things like more proshot shows officially released from the ADF/UYI era, movies and docs about the band why the fuck not? Axl needs to rethink what is best for all incarnations of the band. One doesn't have to come on expense of the other.

I think it will be terrible. I still cannot get the image of a b-move actor in a Slash wig out of my head. Where is the storyline? GN'R getting together is not much of a story: a bunch of seedy lowlifes form a band, make some decent rock music, get a record contract, and success - oh, their lead singer is as mad as a hatter. It is not much of a storyline, is it? I can only see b-movie actors touching this. Marc, make a documentary film. Use your archives and film some interviews to produce a classy documentary. Some of these documentaries are really, cinematic, these days. Duff is doing a film like this I believe. Do a Reckless Road version. It would be the ultimate tribute to Guns. Do not do a made-for-tv movie!!

And thus spoke Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorcesse and Quentin Tarantino. Three guys in one. The guy with so much filming experience on his back he can forsee a failure without even reading a script.

*Bows down*

I think it will be terrible. I still cannot get the image of a b-move actor in a Slash wig out of my head. Where is the storyline? GN'R getting together is not much of a story: a bunch of seedy lowlifes form a band, make some decent rock music, get a record contract, and success - oh, their lead singer is as mad as a hatter. It is not much of a storyline, is it? I can only see b-movie actors touching this. Marc, make a documentary film. Use your archives and film some interviews to produce a classy documentary. Some of these documentaries are really, cinematic, these days. Duff is doing a film like this I believe. Do a Reckless Road version. It would be the ultimate tribute to Guns. Do not do a made-for-tv movie!!

Eh, a documentary would be nice and safe, sure. Wouldn't be anything new though.

I admire the ambition behind a biopic, pulling it off is a much greater feat. Easy to have doubts with these sort of movies, it would have to be in the same league as Ray and Walk The Line for fans to be satisfied, not impossible though. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that Axl would actually let this happen, with Guns N' Roses music.

I don't get why anybody is being hysterical about this though, get a grip. If somebody makes a GNR biopic, and it sucks... big fucking deal.

Edited by sweetness
  • Like 1

I think Izzy would be the one with concerns about how he's portrayed in the movie more than Axl, and a biopic isn't being made just for fans but because there's a story to tell that photos and old video footage don't capture.

Any director could half-ass a GNR story by taking the mythology and making a movie out of it - change the name of the band, the band members, and have some studio band make songs for the movie that sound like GNR, so then it's ALL about the sex and drugs and the singer's tantrums and outbursts. There's nothing legally stopping a movie studio from making that kind of movie. The recent Jimi Hendrix movie got a lot of shit for accuracy.

My concern would be that the screenplay is left intact, the movie studio doesn't screw with it. Protect your story.

I just hope this movie gets made and they get very good actors to play GNR.

It seems like Motley Crue's The Dirt has been in production for a long time. I wish that would be made soon too. I know it would have to be rated X or a very strong R, but if they followed the book it would be one awesome movie.

I think it could be great. The Doors movie was amazing. We watched that so many times, stoned, drunk, sober etc...
As long as it's not cheesy, and done honestly (which is what GNR were all about in the beginning), it should be great. I think Marc will definitely keep things honest.

And thus spoke Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorcesse and Quentin Tarantino. Three guys in one. The guy with so much filming experience on his back he can forsee a failure without even reading a script.

*Bows down*

I knew you'd agree.

• Like 1

Marc, I know there is probably little you can tell us about the project in this early stage, but how about who else is involved?

I'm assuming you're attached as an executive producer. Who else is shepherding the film? Any name producers involved at this level? How about writers?

Assuming you're involved creatively, who would you like to see write the film? Who is your ideal director for this material?

It seems like Motley Crue's The Dirt has been in production for a long time. I wish that would be made soon too. I know it would have to be rated X or a very strong R, but if they followed the book it would be one awesome movie.

Hopefully they can get a darker skinned white dude to play Slash.

You just know if they get one of those colored guys on the set that he will steal stuff and show up drunk all the time and harass the white people and make life miserable for the white women. It was so much better in the 50s when they didn't have all the freedom they do now.

• Like 1

You just know if they get one of those colored guys on the set that he will steal stuff and show up drunk all the time and harass the white people and make life miserable for the white women. It was so much better in the 50s when they didn't have all the freedom they do now.

Those monkeys are outta control! :rofl-lol:
  • Like 1

I read this post before the NYC thread and I didn't understand what you were talking about. Now I do. So funny. :rofl-lol: