New Toho Godzilla in 2016

Amir

Is toho not affiliated with Godzilla 2014 at all?

Nope, a separate film. Which is good because Godzilla 2 will be out in 2018 and Toho will make their own Godzilla. I hope for two things

1. They will still use a suit actor

2. Nothing like Final Wars. Final Wars may have its fans but Japanese audiences were not amused and the fact that Godzilla 2014 did much better in Japan than Final Wars, I hope Toho has learned from their mistakes.

Nope, a separate film. Which is good because Godzilla 2 will be out in 2018 and Toho will make their own Godzilla. I hope for two things

2. Nothing like Final Wars. Final Wars may have its fans but Japanese audiences were not amused and the fact that Godzilla 2014 did much better in Japan than Final Wars, I hope Toho has learned from their mistakes.

I didn't know FW was poorly recieved in Japan. What were some of the major complaints?

I didn't know FW was poorly recieved in Japan. What were some of the major complaints?

They thought it was dumb.

Rumor is Toho is seeking out Takashi Yamazaki for director. He actually is a huge fan of Godzilla and even included him in a dream sequence in one of this films of a full 100% CGI Godzilla that actually looked pretty good, yet not near as good as Legendary. Chances are the new Godzilla will be CGI which will be a drag because I don't think it will measure up. Toho should stick to what they do best. The suits for the Millennium series looked fantastic for the most part. They've been on the right track since 1989.

I do have hope for USA Godzilla 2. They fucked up last year's flick, but the potential is there. A Toho one will be fun, too. I guess its a good time for the franchise

I wouldn't go so far as to say they fucked it up - I just think they did a very poor job of advertising. The movie we got is not at all what we were shown in previews.

It's a matter of tradition. The cities are made so each building are exactly like the real ones they're based on, it's an art. The suits differ from movie to movie, and from scene to scene in water and fighting scenes. I'd like that to continue.

• Like 1

It's a matter of tradition. The cities are made so each building are exactly like the real ones they're based on, it's an art. The suits differ from movie to movie, and from scene to scene in water and fighting scenes. I'd like that to continue.

Yeah, it was great to see what Godzilla was going to look like in each film, I think a lot of that magic will be lost if Godzilla is 100% CGI. Japan has made a lot of advances in CGI but I still think they look like video games. Maybe a suit with some CGI enhancements. It would be nice if they keep up the tradition. Suit acting and miniature sets is such a rare art form now. The Millennium suits looked so good so it would be great to see what they can come up with next.

We'll get CGI in the 2018 sequel to Godzilla (2014). This is upcoming film is produced solely by Toho and is completely unrelated to last year's Godzilla.

• Like 1

lol suits in 2015

lol hipsters.

Wouldn't the hipster be the one watching le obscure nippon suit Godzilla and not the Legendary CGI Godzilla box office hit?

Yeah I was about to say, hipsters love practical special effects and classic Godzilla movies :lol:

I think the suit could be cool, but I think CGI would make a lot more sense in 2015. Maybe some hybrid practical/CGI shots

Edited by Dan H.

Yeah, it was great to see what Godzilla was going to look like in each film, I think a lot of that magic will be lost if Godzilla is 100% CGI. Japan has made a lot of advances in CGI but I still think they look like video games. Maybe a suit with some CGI enhancements. It would be nice if they keep up the tradition. Suit acting and miniature sets is such a rare art form now. The Millennium suits looked so good so it would be great to see what they can come up with next.

We'll get CGI in the 2018 sequel to Godzilla (2014). This is upcoming film is produced solely by Toho and is completely unrelated to last year's Godzilla.

I completely agree, man. 100%.

lol suits in 2015

lol hipsters.

Wouldn't the hipster be the one watching le obscure nippon suit Godzilla and not the Legendary CGI Godzilla box office hit?

Yeah I was about to say, hipsters love practical special effects and classic Godzilla movies :lol:

I think the suit could be cool, but I think CGI would make a lot more sense in 2015. Maybe some hybrid practical/CGI shots

The suits is what made these movies great though. You can suspend disbelief well enough with the suits but CGI, you have to do it even more. They would be forced to only have Godzilla in the night time or when it is raining.

Under water scenes would be fine in CGI though they haven't done that since the early 2000's because they looked really bad. The suits in the Millennium Series were way better than Zilla in 1998 and are on par with the Legendary Godzilla.