New Toho Godzilla in 2016

Amir

I was never a big fan of the Millenium look, it's by far the worst look the Big G ever had.

Really?

This looks worse than this, by far?

The Showa suits were complete ass. Every single one of them. He looked worse than King Kong from 1933.

Well the suits varied from film to film, but as a whole I like the Showa look. Yes some of them looked like ass, but as a whole they defined the Godzilla look IMO. They changed his look too much in the Millenium series IMO. That's part of the reason I like Final Wars so much, because they made him look like Godzilla again, by giving him the Heisei look. After the abomination that was Godzilla 98,' I was a little dissapointed by the turn Toho took with Godzilla in the Millenium. The lack of continuity, always rebooting the series, the look of Godzilla, etc, etc. I have a lot about the Millenium films I dislike. I do like some of the villians, like Orga, but as whole it never did much for me. Especially after how great Heisei is IMO. Plus the first 6 or 7 Showa films are just plain awesome. After that they became hit or miss, but still managed some gems in the 70's like Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla, which is STILL the best Mecha film.

If I was to rate every Godzilla look, it would go as follows:

1. Heisei

2. Showa

3. Legendary

4. Millenium

5. Godzilla 98'

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Eh, I liked the way he looked in GMK and the Mecha/Tokyo SOS movies, along with Final Wars. 2000 and Megaguiris he looked a bit fucked up but they fixed it after that I feel. Still nowhere near as bad as some of the Showa abominations.

Which I don't disagree with you about. The Showa era DID have some crap films, suits, acting, writing, the whole 9 yards. But it also had films like Ghidorah the 3 headed monster, the original, Invasion of the Astromonster, and Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla which might be the 4 best Godzilla movies period. So for me, the good outweighs the bad...

Millennium they were going for a mix of Showa and Heisei. I think the best suit was for the Mechagodzilla III and Tokyo S.O.S. though GMK looked pretty cool, but not my favorite.

The Heisei suits are my favorite as well. Especially for '89, '91, '92, '94 and '95.

I think the Showa suits are hit and miss, I like the classic original.

1954__shodaigoji_by_sonichedgehog2-d7f5d

1954_ShodaiGoji_(1).jpg

With use of lighting and low camera angles, the suit in the original 1954 film looked menacing. Obviously the suits have improved since. Final Wars probably being the most advanced of them all. It was lighter allowing the actor to move. But not my favorite.

Godzilla91.jpg

This is my favorite, but I know they will never return to this look. If anything they will come up with something new or continue what they have done from the Millennium.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually saw last year's Godzilla last Saturday and didn't think it was all that good. Godzilla looked cool, but those other two monsters looked too fake to me.

The story moved too slow. I loved the ending where Godzilla just gets up and walks back into the ocean. I did feel a little bad when the army killed the monsters babies. When the monster screamed it was a little heartbreaking thinking about a parent losing their children, but when will these monsters realize, whenever you come in contact with man, you're doomed. Although Godzilla did save the day at the same time destroying San Francisco!

I think a good reason to stick to the suits is the same reason people got pissed off with Die Another Day with their use of CGI. James Bond films were praised for the stunts and how real everything looked. That was the main appeal of Nolan's Batman trilogy. I think Godzilla should continue that tradition because if TOHO decided to use all CGI it will create backlash.

• Like 1

While I enjoyed the "new" Godzilla, the CGI or lack of suits isn't my problem with it. I think it suffers from the same problem that Godzilla 1985 and some of the other films had, not enough Godzilla. It's like you have to watch 45 minutes of actors before the big G makes an appearence. Honestly that is why I made my own "cuts" of many of the classic films, because even as big of a fan as I am, it's hard to sit through that much talking. I basically went through and cut out all the nonessential plot points, just to getto the action sooner. Cut most of the films down from an hour and a half to around hour or so. Really makes for a more enjoyable Godzilla experience IMO. Some might find it a little conceded, but I watch Godzilla to see Godzilla, not hear random actors talk about him. That's what kills most of those films IMO....

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

• 7 months later...

Filming has started.

The film will use both practical effects with CGI as opposed to Legendary's all CGI. Toho also said this Godzilla will be even bigger than the Legendary Godzilla, maybe it the biggest Godzilla to date. Too big? Well Japan has a lot of tall buildings.

Now can only speculate what Godzilla will look like, but since the FX will be done by the guy who did the Gamera trilogy and Godzilla GMK, I don't think we need to worry.

• Like 1

While I did enjoy the last Godzilla film, it doesn't have the rewatch ability that the toho films do imo. I've seen it 5-7 times and am pretty bored with it at this point. I do have hope that a sequel with king ghidorah or other classic monsters might be better. But having said that, toho just seems to get these films right more often, I mean he is their baby. Which I do hope this new series is better than the millenium series, that series is the worst Godzilla series toho has done to date. The lack of continuity drives me nuts, it's just reboot after reboot. Showa and Heisei are still the best imo.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

I love the Showa and Heisei films, I think the Millenium series was good for the most part GMK is the one everyone raves about. I think the best films of the Millenium Series was Godzilla X Mechagodzilla and Tokyo S.O.S.

Final Wars was fun and all but it was a bit too silly. Even by the Showa standards.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...