Why was Izzy's amp unplugged during the '91 UYI tour?

Did Izzy and Slash even get along that well? I don't think they even worked together until Duff had been in the picture, Slash replaced Izzy in Hollywood Rose, Slash was in London at a different time Izzy was, and we know Izzy and Tracii had been roommates. Even getting into why VR fell apart, it didn't seem like they agreed on much.

The 1993 shows just seemed like a lot of bitterness going on with Izzy and the guys, but it was the beginning of the end between Slash and Axl.

I also don't know if Slash's interviews from 20 years ago are all that reliable.

• Like 1

Izzy sounds fantastic in Rio 1991, Milton Keynes 1993 etc etc etc;

Izzy sounds fantastic in every gig that he can be heard.

Please show me one single show where Izzy fucks up. I have listened to dozens of bootlegs and I have never heard anything like that.

If you tell me that Izzy made the odd mistake on "Coma" on "Locomotive", I can believe that.

But please...

These Slash 1993 quotes badtalking Izzy are really hard to believe because everybody knows that Slash and Duff were out of this planet during the Illusion era.

According to everybody around them, and according to themselves, they were basically zombie-like-drunks-and-junkies in 1991-1992-1993. Many people have described them like that in that era, including Axl, Izzy and Slash and Duff themselves.

Izzy said in interviews that he tried to make the guys LEARN some new covers/songs during the Illusion era to add something new and fresh to the shows (and I guess also he wanted to hopefully cut some "solos" time) but he was unable to do that because Slash and Duff didn't want to learn anything.

There is video evidence of the boys rehearsing Nightrain somewhere on the 1993 tour (Robert John video);

On "general comments about his playing style and contributions", please add what Slash (now sober) had to say about Izzy in a very recent interview, he seems to have changed his mind a lot.

Now, after working with so many OK guitarrists, and doing a lot of songs that have terrific riffs but unfortunatelly don't go anywhere, Slash seems to have realised how great Izzy guitar playing is.

Did Izzy and Slash even get along that well? I don't think they even worked together until Duff had been in the picture, Slash replaced Izzy in Hollywood Rose, Slash was in London at a different time Izzy was, and we know Izzy and Tracii had been roommates. Even getting into why VR fell apart, it didn't seem like they agreed on much.

The 1993 shows just seemed like a lot of bitterness going on with Izzy and the guys, but it was the beginning of the end between Slash and Axl.

I also don't know if Slash's interviews from 20 years ago are all that reliable.

Izzy jammed with VR and played guitar on Slash's 1st solo album so I think they are fine with each other. Getting along or being friends it's a different story. They do seem to disagree with many things when it comes to guitar and music and yet they created some amazing stuff together :lol:

I don't really care for Izzy. The guy never ever released a song that caught my attention post-GNR, refused to play the HOF, etc. Most of the love he gets is from Axl fans trying to diminish Slash's importance, people who probably haven't listened to a single Izzy song after he left the band.

He did create some amazing songs with GNR and looked just perfect on stage with the other guys. He was as important as them. After quitting GNR? meh.

• Like 2

Izzy sounds fantastic in Rio 1991, Milton Keynes 1993 etc etc etc;

Izzy sounds fantastic in every gig that he can be heard.

Please show me one single show where Izzy fucks up.

I have listened to dozens of bootlegs and I have never heard anything like that.

If you tell me that Izzy made the odd mistake playing "Coma" on some show in Ohio, I can believe that.

But please...

These Slash 1993 quotes badtalking Izzy are really hard to believe because everybody knows that Slash and Duff were out of this planet during the Illusion era.

According to everybody around them, and according to themselves, they were basically zombie-like-drunks-and-junkies in 1991-1992-1993. Many people have described them like that in that era, including Axl, Izzy and Slash and Duff themselves.

Izzy said in interviews that he tried to make the guys LEARN some new covers/songs during the Illusion era to add something new and fresh to the shows (and I guess also he wanted to hopefully cut some "solos" time) but he was unable to do that because Slash and Duff didn't want to learn anything.

There is video evidence of the boys rehearsing Nightrain somewhere on the 1993 tour (Robert John video);

On "general comments about his playing style and contributions", please add what Slash (now sober) had to say about Izzy in a very recent interview, he seems to have changed his mind a lot.

Now, after working with so many OK guitarrists, and doing a lot of songs that have terrific riffs but unfortunatelly don't go anywhere, Slash seems to have realised how great Izzy guitar "playing style and contributions" really is.

Not the first time Slash has badmouthed somebody.

Yep, remember when Slash called Izzy a cancer? That was just mean. Slash is evil. Also Buckethead has released 56 albums.

Nobody can badmouth a Slash fan.

But Buckethead has released 56 albums, Slash can't compete with that.

• Like 1

Izzy jammed with VR and played guitar on Slash's 1st solo album so I think they are fine with each other. Getting along or being friends it's a different story. They do seem to disagree with many things when it comes to guitar and music and yet they created some amazing stuff together :lol:

I don't really care for Izzy. The guy never ever released a song that caught my attention post-GNR, refused to play the HOF, etc. Most of the love he gets is from Axl fans trying to diminish Slash's importance, people who probably haven't listened to a single Izzy song after he left the band.

He did create some amazing songs with GNR and looked just perfect on stage with the other guys. He was as important as them. After quitting GNR? meh.

It's a "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" like any band that became successful. Izzy seemed to want to work at keeping the friendships intact. Other than asking Axl's manager for money, Izzy seems to be welcome to join GNR on tour. But do I blame him for leaving or having hard feelings towards Axl? I think he saw himself as putting the band together and struggled the hardest, he came out to LA before Axl and was really reluctant to work with him, with good reason. It must be good because he hasn't had to tour or promote much.

• Like 1

It's a "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" like any band that became successful. Izzy seemed to want to work at keeping the friendships intact. Other than asking Axl's manager for money, Izzy seems to be welcome to join GNR on tour. But do I blame him for leaving or having hard feelings towards Axl? I think he saw himself as putting the band together and struggled the hardest, he came out to LA before Axl and was really reluctant to work with him, with good reason. It must be good because he hasn't had to tour or promote much.

True. How's he making his living these days?

If Izzy was unplugged it was for no other reason but that he was unable to perform the songs, and without the possibility of him earning them it was much more conducive to a good sound to just turn him down low and let Slash carry most of the weight maybe pumping him up a bit during the instrumental parts. It wasn't a malicious thing, if it was I very much doubt Izzy would be on speaking terms with Axl, Slash, Duff and so on.

True. How's he making his living these days?

Royalties from Appetite, Lies and Illusions... he probably didn't waste his money, and he did write a lot of the material so he earned a lot during the late 80s and 90s (once he was clean).

Not the first time Slash has badmouthed somebody.

Yep, remember when Slash called Izzy a cancer? That was just mean. Slash is evil. Also Buckethead has released 56 albums.

Nobody can badmouth a Slash fan.

Anybody can badmouth Slash and his fans. Just like anybody can badmouth Axl and his fans.

People react to comments like yours though that are solely for the intent to badmouth Slash. It seems like most of your posts are of the trolling variety. Do you come here specifically to just insult Slash?

Guys like you just stoke the stupid Axl-vs-Slash war that most of us wish would go away. You don't have to hate one of them. You don't have to take sides. These are complete strangers.

All your statement is going to do is make people respond by bashing Axl. That's not what the forum needs.

Your constant trolling is annoying.

• Like 4

I like how everyone focuses on the fucking playing style and not the fact that, you know, Izzy wrote most of that classic shit? If Slash and the rest of the band didn't like Izzy's playing, you'd think they'd get over it because without actual SONGS, there's no records to play ON.

Izzy, Slash and Axl were all needed... then Duff... but without Izzy, none of them are famous right now. Not one.

Edited by combos
  • Like 1

No doubt GNR suffered massively when Izzy left. I think it affected there sound on TSI. Possibly held up sessions in the mid 90's because his creativity was not there, and if or not Slash disliked playing with Izzy I'm sure he would have preferred playing/recording with Izzy rather than Tobias. Axl, Duff, Slash should have begged him to stay. Axl should have stopped his tardiness with turning up late etc. GNR never recovered when Izzy left, if they did release records in the mid - late 90's it would have suffered because of the lack of Izzy. With regards to the history of GNR, Izzy doesn't get enough credit.

• Like 1

I didnt remember that izzy was back in 1993 for a few shows but checking videos right now i can bet that he was under drug abuse.Look at him! his eyes were like purple and he looked like a corpse!

Nevermind looking like shit... the whole thing sounded like shit.

But I don't believe he was doing drugs at the time. I don't know why, I just can't believe it.

No doubt GNR suffered massively when Izzy left. I think it affected there sound on TSI. Possibly held up sessions in the mid 90's because his creativity was not there, and if or not Slash disliked playing with Izzy I'm sure he would have preferred playing/recording with Izzy rather than Tobias. Axl, Duff, Slash should have begged him to stay. Axl should have stopped his tardiness with turning up late etc. GNR never recovered when Izzy left, if they did release records in the mid - late 90's it would have suffered because of the lack of Izzy. With regards to the history of GNR, Izzy doesn't get enough credit.

He definitely doesn't get enough credit. But I don't think him staying would have done much for the band either. He was so detached from the rest of the guys that I don't think they would have gotten anything done anyway. Maybe his leaving and the need to find a new guitar player kind of kicked them in the ass to get back to doing something. Who knows?

• Like 1

Axl, Duff, Slash should have begged him to stay.

How? Izzy disappeared all of the sudden.

I remember Slash saying that Izzy didn't talk to the band at all when he decided to quit, he did it through lawyers. And they were all pretty pissed about it. Why would they have begged him to stay?

I'm not surprised Axl was so butthurt about it. I would be too.

When you're turning off a guy's amp, how can you be surprised or butthurt that he turns his back on you?

Someone was always butthurt about something at one point or another :P

But theres a difference between playing pranks on your bandmates, and then a bandmate who just disappears, isolates himself, and then has his lawyer show up with what was practically a letter of resignation.

But theres a difference between playing pranks on your bandmates, and then a bandmate who just disappears, isolates himself, and then has his lawyer show up with what was practically a letter of resignation.

That's a pretty loose definition of prank. That's more spiteful than a joke.

then a bandmate who just disappears, isolates himself, and then has his lawyer show up with what was practically a letter of resignation.

Sounds just like Axl.