Why was Izzy's amp unplugged during the '91 UYI tour?

But theres a difference between playing pranks on your bandmates, and then a bandmate who just disappears, isolates himself, and then has his lawyer show up with what was practically a letter of resignation.

That's a pretty loose definition of prank. That's more spiteful than a joke.

then a bandmate who just disappears, isolates himself, and then has his lawyer show up with what was practically a letter of resignation.

Sounds just like Axl.

All I'm really saying is, I'm not surprised they didn't try and beg him to come back. Whether they were just too pissed off to do it, or they didn't think it would do them any good, who knows?

It is interesting to look at the dates of the quotes, as well as other quotes of Slash talking about Izzy, and put them in the context of what was happening at the time. Slash was supportive of Izzy in the beginning before Izzy left, after all, they were a "band of brothers"; then slammed him for quitting the band, as Axl also did; then slammed him again for the debacle in 1993 when Izzy met unprepared yet wanted more money from appearing with the band; when Velvet Revolver started and they were buddies again and Slash would make more complimentary comments; and in more recent years when I guess Slashs allows himself to be more gracious towards him again.

What was unfair at the time is that both Axl & Slash chastised Izzy for his unpredictability and self-imposed isolation from the band when the one of the main reasons the man fucking quit was Axl's unpredictability and self imposed isolation from the band!!

Slash was certainly Axl's bitch back then - no doubt. No sign of him calling out the band leader for being partly responsible for Izzy leaving. Its amazing really that the other four members didn't try to think about it from Izzy's point of view. Nobody was talking to anybody back then, so sad, especially when you see footage of a great UYI gig with the band seeming to be having so much fun together.

Also, if you think about it, the balls of Axl trying to force Izzy to take a smaller pay check for the live gigs when he couldn't be arsed to fucking show up on time himself leading to thousands in late fees and damaged property from rioting fans. The fucking balls of that!!! The hypocrisy is stunning.

Its nice to see how Slash in later years has grown to really understand the essence of Izzy as a guitar player and songwriter. What I don't understand is that he never went that way stylistically again. If anything he's getting more heavy metal rather than Stonesy.

Edited by Intercourse
  • Like 1

If you put A + B + C together you will realise that Axl & Slash pretty much hijacked Guns n' Roses on the Illusion era.

This thing -- turning down Izzy amps -- is the most pathetic thing that they could have done;

And to say that Izzy playing was bad?

This is even worse. It's pure bullshit.

I have dozens of bootlegs where I can hear Izzy and his playing is always amazing.

Also, 90% of the GNR songs are not difficult to play live;

I agree, it was not nice, but I am doubtful about how ofte it actually happened.

Some more quotes on this and in particular why his amp was turned down in Tel Aviv:

Slash: I really looked forward to playing with him again and really hoped that he had changed. I booked a place before the first gigs in Tel Aviv to rehearse. But Izzy thought it was unnecessary, that it was just wasted time. He hadn't changed one bit and therefore the gigs turned out the way they did [Metal Zone, December 1993]

Slash: It was my idea to call Izzy; I thought it would be interesting. I didn't know he hadn't picked up his guitar in the last fucking year!

Slash talking about Izzy replacing Gilby: "Fuck it," Axl said. "Let's call Izzy." I was surprised and happy to hear that Izzy went for it (...). Izzy showed up...with dreadlocks...and hadn't practised one song. So we did what we could [bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York, p.369-370]

And general comments about his playing style and contributions:

Gilby: [...] Nobody really seemed to know what Izzy played. I would perform something, and Slash would say, "I thought you knew this tune," and I'd argue that I did. And then he'd say "No, you don't You are playing my part!" And then we'd realize that you couldn't really hear Izzy's part on some of the songs. So the we had to try to reconstruct his parts the best we could [Guitar World, November 1992]

Slash talking about The Spaghetti Incident?: I love recording like this. During Appetite..., Lies and Use Your... I had to put up with Izzy the whole time. I never liked playing with him. It was wonderful to escape him on this record. It sounds tighter and so much cooler than anything we've done before. I always got irritated over Izzy's way of playing. It didn't sound right. Before "Spaghetti", we erased his guitar and Gilby put on a new one. It sounded perfect! [Okej, November? 1993]

Slash: Izzy basically left while we were recording the "...Illusion" records. He's not on half of those records. He hardly even played on his own songs! [Kerrang! January 1994]

Slash: I had to double guitars up for him on most of [illusions]. He didn't play very much [Guns N' Roses: Is It All Over? Does Anyone Care? Metal Hammer November 1995]

lol Slash was such a douchebag back then

Here we can hear Axl completely out of breath trying to rant like in the old days. Embarrassing. Plus, Izzy was clean in 1993, so here we have Axl lying once again about his former bandmates. :rolleyes:

Axl is an even bigger liar than you thought. Izzy has been sober since December 15th 1989!

Yes, he's been always full of shit. I'm glad there's a SBD recording of that show, so we have proof of his lies and bullshit.
So what about the Slash quotes posted that corroborate much of the story? Is he full of 'lies and bullshit' too?

Either way, petty as they both can be, I don't believe they're dumb enough to have been turning down his amp if he sounded really great.

Edited by tomfriend
  • Like 1

It is interesting to look at the dates of the quotes, as well as other quotes of Slash talking about Izzy, and put them in the context of what was happening at the time. Slash was supportive of Izzy in the beginning before Izzy left, after all, they were a "band of brothers"; then slammed him for quitting the band, as Axl also did; then slammed him again for the debacle in 1993 when Izzy met unprepared yet wanted more money from appearing with the band; when Velvet Revolver started and they were buddies again and Slash would make more complimentary comments; and in more recent years when I guess Slashs allows himself to be more gracious towards him again.

What was unfair at the time is that both Axl & Slash chastised Izzy for his unpredictability and self-imposed isolation from the band when the one of the main reasons the man fucking quit was Axl's unpredictability and self imposed isolation from the band!!

Slash was certainly Axl's bitch back then - no doubt. No sign of him calling out the band leader for being partly responsible for Izzy leaving. Its amazing really that the other four members didn't try to think about it from Izzy's point of view. Nobody was talking to anybody back then, so sad, especially when you see footage of a great UYI gig with the band seeming to be having so much fun together.

One comment about Izzy from the other band members that repeats itself, is that he wasn't "pulling his weight". Axl had a very clear idea of what he expected from his band mates in terms of performance, and Izzy wouldn't do it. Izzy's low-key persona and stage antics didn't cut it for Axl and Slash. Here's a quote from Axl:

There were certain things we weren't getting from Izzy that we really wanted, and everybody was like giving a certain amount, and we felt that everybody should give energy in a certain way to Guns N' Roses, and we weren't getting that. Gilby came in and learned all the songs and got out there on stage and liked performing for the crowd and liked running around [The making of November Rain, 1991?].

So it wansn't just the fact that he isolated himself form the rest of the band (probably to a larger extent than Axl back then) or his unpredictability, but basically that he wasn't as much of a show man as expected of members in GN'R back then, at least from Axl and Slash.

To me this is really sad, because Izzy was so vital in the creation of the music of GN'R, such a solid guitar player, and I much more appreciated his low-key and cool stage persona than the almost orchestrated show that Axl and Slash was going for back then which basically felt a bit put on to me (and wtf with the backup singers, teddy and adding pianos). It became too bloated and for me personally, it wasn't the band I had fallen in love with, at least that was what I thought back then. So Izzy leaving was when "my personal GN'R" ended.

One comment about Izzy from the other band members that repeats itself, is that he wasn't "pulling his weight". Axl had a very clear idea of what he expected from his band mates in terms of performance, and Izzy wouldn't do it. Izzy's low-key persona and stage antics didn't cut it for Axl and Slash. Here's a quote from Axl:

There were certain things we weren't getting from Izzy that we really wanted, and everybody was like giving a certain amount, and we felt that everybody should give energy in a certain way to Guns N' Roses, and we weren't getting that. Gilby came in and learned all the songs and got out there on stage and liked performing for the crowd and liked running around [The making of November Rain, 1991?].

So it wansn't just the fact that he isolated himself form the rest of the band (probably to a larger extent than Axl back then) or his unpredictability, but basically that he wasn't as much of a show man as expected of members in GN'R back then, at least from Axl and Slash.

To me this is really sad, because Izzy was so vital in the creation of the music of GN'R, such a solid guitar player, and I much more appreciated his low-key and cool stage persona than the almost orchestrated show that Axl and Slash was going for back then which basically felt a bit put on to me (and wtf with the backup singers, teddy and adding pianos). It became too bloated and for me personally, it wasn't the band I had fallen in love with, at least that was what I thought back then. So Izzy leaving was when "my personal GN'R" ended.

It really sucks to hear that. It's almost like Izzy didn't want to be there, and they didn't want Izzy there much, either.

Edited by izzlestrizzle

Again I repeat my assessment - "the BALLS of that!"

Izzy was always stand offish, cool and reserved - look at him in the Ritz in '88. Smoke hanging from his mouth just playing his guitar. That was his look and persona and he had his legions of fans because of it.

Part of the huge attraction of GNR were the rock persona's and how different they were.

This is more of Axl's controlling BS and Slash rowing in behind.

If I was Izzy I would have said "Fine, I'll try harder if Duff & Slash lay off the junk and booze and if Axl gets on fucking stage when he's supposed to and fucking stays there until the end without walking off."

Everybody was at fault that the band was falling apart it was just a case of who woke up to the big picture first and got out.

Izzy was the first, then Slash and then Matt and Duff. Axl?...well we know the rest..

Once lawyers get involved they proceed to slaughter and carve bands up. The recent lawsuit against John Fogerty by his former CCR bandmates is another case of people who should be getting along, especially guys that have known each other for over 50 years, but it's just more of the same BS that hurts the band, hurts the fans, and makes the lawyers rich.

• Like 1

Slash talking about The Spaghetti Incident?: I love recording like this. During Appetite..., Lies and Use Your... I had to put up with Izzy the whole time. I never liked playing with him. It was wonderful to escape him on this record. It sounds tighter and so much cooler than anything we've done before. I always got irritated over Izzy's way of playing. It didn't sound right. Before "Spaghetti", we erased his guitar and Gilby put on a new one. It sounded perfect! [Okej, November? 1993]

I'm thinking this quote is fake unless proven otherwise. It doesn't sound like Slash's voice and doesn't even really match up with the other interviews where he was critical of Izzy.

I'm thinking this quote is fake unless proven otherwise. It doesn't sound like Slash's voice and doesn't even really match up with the other interviews where he was critical of Izzy.

I found this interview originally in HTGTH's archive. You can read the complete interview here: http://www.a-4-d.com/t574-1993-11-dd-interview-with-slash

Okej is a Swedish magazine. I don't have original copies and rely on the translation done by "Andreas". I agree Slash is much hardsher than in any other interviews I have seen. On the other hand, maybe he thought it was more "safe" to speak frankly to an obscure magazine in Sweden? This was also done at a time where Slash was bitter about Izzy's behaviour during the 5 stand-in shows (when Gilby was injured), and possibly also bitter about ending the UYI touring and the band losing its focus.

All this being said, it is not unknown for interviewers to spruce up interviews, especially if they go into a language the subject won't understand, or for translators to have an agenda...

All this being said, it is not unknown for interviewers to spruce up interviews, especially if they go into a language the subject won't understand, or for translators to have an agenda...

That's what I'm leaning towards. Either a translation issue or an unknown Swedish journo trying to make a name for himself.

That's what I'm leaning towards. Either a translation issue or an unknown Swedish journo trying to make a name for himself.

I remember thinking about this when reading the interview, but concluded that I believe the whole interview is legit, although I will be the first to say I had to consider it for a while and won't bet much money on it. I will make an effort now to get hold of the original interview. Unfortunately, Okej Magazine is out of business since 2011 and I don't know who the interviewer was.

Because Axl and Slash were being cunts.

Yes. And let's remember that from 91-93 (94?) Axl's hand was up Slash's ass and everything that came out of Slash's mouth was Axl talking. Slash, as Izzy once said, was not the thinking man's drug addict. He was completely fucked up. And AXL complaining about anyone else not giving 100% is a fucking joke. Axl has never given 100% to any of the GNR incarnations. He didn't bother to turn up for gigs in 85-88, he outright laughed at fans for expecting him to show up on time 91-94...the guy has never given a fuck for the people who buy his records or attend his shows. He doesn't have to, because there will always be people who buy his records and attend his shows. And they get what they pay for.

• Like 1

I found this interview originally in HTGTH's archive. You can read the complete interview here: http://www.a-4-d.com/t574-1993-11-dd-interview-with-slash

Okej is a Swedish magazine. I don't have original copies and rely on the translation done by "Andreas". I agree Slash is much hardsher than in any other interviews I have seen. On the other hand, maybe he thought it was more "safe" to speak frankly to an obscure magazine in Sweden? This was also done at a time where Slash was bitter about Izzy's behaviour during the 5 stand-in shows (when Gilby was injured), and possibly also bitter about ending the UYI touring and the band losing its focus.

100% true.

I have listened to/read about 600 interviews from Slash and I could imagine him saying this.

100% true.

I have listened to/read about 600 interviews from Slash and I could imagine him saying this.

Oh. Well, that settles that then. I've read 600 books on unicorns and I can imagine them, so they must be real.

100% true.

Oh. Well, that settles that then. I've read 600 books on unicorns and I can imagine them, so they must be real.

Glad you agree.

Listen, Slash speaks a bunch of cock and balls. So does Axl. Do you want me to start reciting the bullshit these two fanny pads have sprouted over the years? (Please don't - it is tedious beyond words).

Listen, Slash speaks a bunch of cock and balls. So does Axl. Do you want me to start reciting the bullshit these two fanny pads have sprouted over the years? (Please don't - it is tedious beyond words).

I would. From you I am sure it will be like a beautiful fairytale.

Oh god, please.

Because Axl and Slash were being cunts.

Yes. And let's remember that from 91-93 (94?) Axl's hand was up Slash's ass and everything that came out of Slash's mouth was Axl talking. Slash, as Izzy once said, was not the thinking man's drug addict. He was completely fucked up. And AXL complaining about anyone else not giving 100% is a fucking joke. Axl has never given 100% to any of the GNR incarnations. He didn't bother to turn up for gigs in 85-88, he outright laughed at fans for expecting him to show up on time 91-94...the guy has never given a fuck for the people who buy his records or attend his shows. He doesn't have to, because there will always be people who buy his records and attend his shows. And they get what they pay for.

Bollocks.

Edited by Sisyphus

Didn't Metallica used to turn Newstead's bass down, heck even on Justice he's just barely there lol. I'd imagine it's a power play by Slash, or Izzy was sloppy and didn't want to be there sometimes since he was probably sober by then or they thought it was a good joke.