Why was Izzy's amp unplugged during the '91 UYI tour?

2 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

They really should call the band 'Fortus's Guns n Roses' or maybe just FortusRose :lol:

FortusRose should take over GnR's NITL stadium tour worldwide. All shows would sell out immediately because Sunset Boulevard would buy every last ticket since he's Fortus' biggest stalk...err I mean...fan. :P

11 minutes ago, RONIN said:

FortusRose should take over GnR's NITL stadium tour worldwide. All shows would sell out immediately because Sunset Boulevard would buy every last ticket since he's Fortus' biggest stalk...err I mean...fan. :P

Don't forget fortus has another fan 'caribes' or something who used to post here. 

Edited by janrichmond
auto correct changed Fortus to foetus

Fortus is the most laughable stage hero that GNR has ever had, i happened to stumble on some articles from like 3,4,5+ years back - HE ALWAYS said new music was coming, he didn't even have a real hand in CD nor did Frank - all the musicians that actually were a real part of CD gone, so Axl can't use that as an excuse to keep going and not admit failure 

furthermore, IF DIZZY REED would just take the lead and bow down, we would thank him so very much for all he brought to the table with guns including the clapper during WTJ and playing parts of the piano that if Axl had more humiliity would play himself at least now in his twilight, if dizzy took the lead then fortus frank and ninja babe would follow all the more easily 

then and only then would GNR sound like GNR again - im not even saying adler needs to be there, I'd take SORUM happily and izzy of course, but fuck i'd even take Gilby - just got those delusional hangers on's that only justify axl's insecurities and do not provide fans actually what they want - this NITL is at the 60% level on all fronts when it would be at a 100

someone put a list of all izzy songs on the setlist and guaranteed it kicks the ass of the current setlist and would even excite axl and the rest to go over the top and beyond into the twilight of their stardom  

14 minutes ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

How tf it's almost 30 years and people still hate Dizzy, I knew he didn't play on Axl centered tunes like NR or Estranged, but dude ironically shine on Slash and Izzy song like Locomotive, PTU, and Bad Obsession.

Shining is subjective. I don't think he shines. I think the songs would be better off without him. Of course that is just my opinion

• Like 1

yeah nice try not once did i mention AFD - the early 91 concert footage that frans and roses has up there shows that the GNR sound was at it's most dynamite - thats the sound I'm talking about and estranged is the best song out there even outside of GNR mostly because of axl and sorum and then slash of course - that whole classic magic of having that song in tune is what I'm screaming about 

i've looked at 91 footage and izzy is indeed involved 

they had something really good going here and it would be fucking G rated of an ending for them to go out like they are 

another best show where the dynamite with izzy there is the you could be mine concert 91 ritz 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

14 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Shining is subjective. I don't think he shines. I think the songs would be better off without him. Of course that is just my opinion

It's okay if you prefer without him, i'm just feel he doing really great despite he actually just traditional pianist not some prog keyboardist like cortini, rudess, or sherinian. The piano/drum combination after the breakdown of Locomotive is iconic though.

2 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

yeah nice try not once did i mention AFD - the early 91 concert footage that frans and roses has up there shows that the GNR sound was at it's most dynamite - thats the sound I'm talking about and estranged is the best song out there even outside of GNR mostly because of axl and sorum and then slash of course - that whole classic magic of having that song in tune is what I'm screaming about 

So still.. wtf the meaning of real "GNR sound"? It is just the old line line up play something then it's considered the real "GNR sound"?

• Like 1

Just now, Magnus Cavalerra said:

It's okay if you prefer without him, i'm just feel he doing really great despite he actually just traditional pianist not some prog keyboardist like cortini, rudess, or sherinian. The piano/drum combination after the breakdown of Locomotive is iconic though.

So still.. wtf the meaning of real "GNR sound"? It is just the old line line up play something then it's considered the real "GNR sound"?

Oh yeah forgot about Locomotive. I think that part is quite good. I just don't like when any keyboardist/pianist bangs on 5th octave root notes for the entire chorus of a song that was written without any keys (as opposed to when a song is piano centric, where the piano part is far more melodic than just jerking off all over a perfectly fine guitar-centric rock song). All I hear is "DING DI-DI-DII-DING DING" for the entire PTU chorus.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

YES exactly that sir

if i have to explain to you the difference between the pre 93 sound and the sped up, over the top produced songs that have been played since the classic lineup then out of hope on the ears son

4 hours ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

Only thing that spoils that part of Locomotive for me is Axl's vocals.  Wailing, 'soooo strange'  over the top is overkill and actually detracts from the music. To this day, I get irritated as soon his vocal kicks in.  I still think Locomotive is a masterpiece, but it's flawed because of that.  

Interesting question, what is the real GNR sound because different people will hear (and expect) different things.  Most people would probably cite AFD and SI as the defining GNR sound at least stylistically, but then so many songs on UYI  stray from that formula.  Even early GNR was a mixed bag of styles.  Move to the City is on the same EP as Reckless Life and those two songs could not be more different in style and tone.  It took me a while to accept MTTC because I thought it sounded so UN-GNR and to be honest, cheesy. I remember being surprised they ever played it live. I love it now though.  

For me, no matter what style Guns have taken on, there is always a consistently distinctive bass sound.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

38 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Only thing that spoils that part of Locomotive for me is Axl's vocals.  Wailing, 'soooo strange'  over the top is overkill and actually detracts from the music. To this day, I get irritated as soon his vocal kicks in.  I still think Locomotive is a masterpiece, but it's flawed because of that.  

I don't mind his "love so strange" line (actually I like it). What I find unnecessary (and somewhat annoying) is his aye-ayes over the music :lol:

Other than that, I think it's one of their top songs. Imo it's maybe the only (or one of the few) UYI songs where the production choices (e.g. the layered vocals in this case) and Matt's drumming style worked very well.

First off let me say that anybody who discounts Izzy's role in the formation of the band and the creation of many of their iconic songs is an idiot.  Also, saying that "he can't play epic songs" is ridiculous.

IF GNR was to somehow decide to put out new music, it is guaranteed that the songs would be better if Izzy was involved in writing and recording them.

As far as live performance, I really don't think that the current performances would be "better" if Izzy replaced Fortus.  From a mental standpoint it would make it better to see Izzy playing the stuff he helped to write but, I don't really think it would sound that different.  Honestly, if Izzy secretly played from back stage and Fortus just ran around with an unplugged guitar, I'd be pretty shocked if even the most observant people would know Izzy was playing.

Now, if you somehow did the same experiment (which would be impossible in reality) with Adler on drums, I think most fans would notice pretty quickly.

It is also a fact that Izzy leaving hurt the band.  Had he stayed, maybe the band would have also held together and put out more than a cover album before they broke up completely.  Whatever his reasons, the fact is that Izzy made the decision to leave which was not something good for the fans of the band.  He could have dealt with Axl's lateness by just showing up to the venue late himself, knowing that there was no chance the show would start before whatever time.  After he got clean, did he try to get Slash and Duff to get help for their substance abuse problems?  If not, then he could have done something to try and fix the situation of playing with them.

It seems to me that part of the lack of motivation to deal with things and fix things was the fact that he didn't like touring and didn't want to live the "rock star lifestyle."  However, when he helped form GNR, that is what he signed up for.  The goal of anybody starting a band is to "make it" and get huge and tour the world.  If he just wanted to be a laid back songwriter, then he should have just wrote songs for other people and bands.  His career choice was to form a band and be part of the songwriting and image of Guns n' Roses.  He should have made more of an effort to reach the maximum heights of his career instead of quitting.

A lot of great bands have personality conflicts.  Usually it is between the lead singer and lead guitarist.   However, usually they either figure out a way to work together or break up briefly and then realize that they are better off figuring out a way to work together.  I wish that Izzy, being sane and the first to get clean would have worked back in the 90s to try and get everybody back together and making music again.  I'm sure Axl was very difficult to deal with but he had the same personality and mental issues 5 years before Izzy left.  Izzy managed to deal with Axl to make AFD, Lies and UYI.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2017 at 0:38 PM, Gnrcane said:

It seems to me that part of the lack of motivation to deal with things and fix things was the fact that he didn't like touring and didn't want to live the "rock star lifestyle."  However, when he helped form GNR, that is what he signed up for.  The goal of anybody starting a band is to "make it" and get huge and tour the world.  If he just wanted to be a laid back songwriter, then he should have just wrote songs for other people and bands.  His career choice was to form a band and be part of the songwriting and image of Guns n' Roses.  He should have made more of an effort to reach the maximum heights of his career instead of quitting.

We don't really know all of the story of those days to form an accurate picture of why Izzy left.

Surely though it is understandable: the band was falling apart internally and externally. It was all too much for someone like Izzy to cope on a daily basis, when it became clear to him the vision of the band he worked/helped create was no longer desirable, for several different reasons that we all know. When too much is too much and you can't even breathe and it's all like pushing water uphill every single hour of the day, then quitting can be the only solution for someone's mental sanity.

• Like 1

Agreed there is a lot of covert, passive aggressive slaying of the legend izzy - when in fact the main reason why he left is because axl was demoting his shares for no fucking good reason at all - using the fact that he didn't shake his ass on stage and/or tour alongside druggies (by the way he has said in interviews that he had no problem touring, axl is the one that made up all this shit of he didn't wanna be this big) 

IZZY is the only former member along with SORUM who have their entire dignity and pride in tact - whereas the other ducktale sellouts continue on as if they were the coolest and the rest 2nd to them 

since the NITL i have not enjoyed listening to classic studio recordings or old concert footage as much as i have now considering that axl 90% of the time has nothing left in him as far as voice and passion and frank completely butchers every song to the max 

there is indeed nothing bad ass about this current incarnation at least with the NU GUNS there was still the murky mystery of axl and his somewhat purpose in breaking through however now its pure cash and that is the only thing that made izzy leave, if you have the business side of things in tact and fair for a founder then you have GUNS recording new songs and being relevant rather than this BS nostalgic act shit 

to make matters even more fucking outrageous one of the two new songs they have reintroduced into the setlist is DTJM that was entirely written by IZZY - WHAT A SLAP IN THE FACE - HOMEFUCKS INDEED

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 1

Regarding 

On 18.8.2017 at 6:00 PM, double talkin jive mfkr said:

Agreed there is a lot of covert, passive aggressive slaying of the legend izzy - when in fact the main reason why he left is because axl was demoting his shares for no fucking good reason at all - using the fact that he didn't shake his ass on stage and/or tour alongside druggies (by the way he has said in interviews that he had no problem touring, axl is the one that made up all this shit of he didn't wanna be this big) 

IZZY is the only former member along with SORUM who have their entire dignity and pride in tact - whereas the other ducktale sellouts continue on as if they were the coolest and the rest 2nd to them 

since the NITL i have not enjoyed listening to classic studio recordings or old concert footage as much as i have now considering that axl 90% of the time has nothing left in him as far as voice and passion and frank completely butchers every song to the max 

there is indeed nothing bad ass about this current incarnation at least with the NU GUNS there was still the murky mystery of axl and his somewhat purpose in breaking through however now its pure cash and that is the only thing that made izzy leave, if you have the business side of things in tact and fair for a founder then you have GUNS recording new songs and being relevant rather than this BS nostalgic act shit 

to make matters even more fucking outrageous one of the two new songs they have reintroduced into the setlist is DTJM that was entirely written by IZZY - WHAT A SLAP IN THE FACE - HOMEFUCKS INDEED

By the way: I always wondered what the meaning of "home fuck" is? Since  I am a none native speaker, could someone please explain?

I think its sounds very cool as a phrase used by Axl during his Paris 92 rant or in DTJ :-)

Thanks.  

On 8/16/2017 at 1:07 PM, Magnus Cavalerra said:

How tf it's almost 30 years and people still hate Dizzy, I knew he didn't play on Axl centered tunes like NR or Estranged, but dude ironically shine on Slash and Izzy song like Locomotive, PTU, and Bad Obsession.

Also wtf the meaning of real GNR sound? AFD sound? That so called GNR sound died instantly the moment UYI album comes, NR is the most viewed youtube GNR video up there and Estranged constantly voted as the best GNR song, and both ain't sounding like anything on AFD, RQ and Estranged both are the best song from respective album yet they don't sound like each other, so really wtf the definition of this mythological bullshit called "GNR sound"? I'm fucking glad though they moved to different direction on UYI because if not the album probably gonna be filled with AFD wannabe stupid as shit song like Shotgun Blues.

Those songs are played by Axl, Slash, Izzy (who has a much bigger presence on NR than many would recognise), Duff and Matt.

On 15.8.2017 at 10:45 PM, RONIN said:

Absolutely. Didn't you hear? Fortus can even turn water into wine. The man is ridiculously talented. :lol:

I bet that you are one helluva guitar player too! and that you're too are playing in hugely succesful band! :)

I know its old news but I think I'll never get the Fortus hate lol

Of course I'd love Izzy to be there but if its not possible, Fortus is the best replace Izzy has ever had, his has the chops, he has the tone, he has the skills so what the fuck? You dont like him because he acts like he is fuckin enjoyin the show? Fuck off, thats the most whinneing pussy thing.

I understand the issues regard Frank cause the guy doesnt fit at all but Fortus is actually a guy that has the same influences as then, that cna play their songs and that has actually a a really nice tone. Yet people prefer a failed lame glam metal power chord guitarrist like Gilby Clarke who could never, ever achieve the tasty bluesy stuff Fortus brings in.