inthisriver

General Chat / Random Musings

4 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I could eat chocolate flavored cereal for the rest of my life and be happy

Don't you find it gets a bit sickly after a while?

56 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Don't you find it gets a bit sickly after a while?

No, it doesn't, thats just you, the whole entire rest of the planet down to the last man, woman and child and some breeds of ape all think it is terminally lovely.

12 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Also @SoulMonster who said Unicorns ain't real!?

Don't listen to em Luke, they're heathens :lol:

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46812837

Christ Almighty, how difficult is it?! :lol:  That can't do the ol' depression much good eh?  *sobs* I can't even get suicide right! :lol:

I’m told that the NHS won’t treat severe depression until you’ve attempted suicide. 

Did something happen to the facebook live map?  I go there now and it only shows the top videos.

19 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

He's fucking invincible. They should make a soldier out of him. 

Dolph Lundgren could play him in the film in blackface :lol:

• Haha 1

Oh, you know you're fucked when they name the storm.  Expecting 13 inches of snow in St Louis.  Call the farmers, we're going to need some equipment.  

15 minutes ago, cineater said:

Oh, you know you're fucked when they name the storm.  Expecting 13 inches of snow in St Louis.  Call the farmers, we're going to need some equipment.  

I can appreciate that if your Cities dont have infrastructure for it then it really sucks! Also even here everyone forgets how to drive when a storm hits. Stay safe and warm!

Also, you live in St Louis - were you at the riot show?

Edited by soon

10 hours ago, soon said:

I can appreciate that if your Cities dont have infrastructure for it then it really sucks! Also even here everyone forgets how to drive when a storm hits. Stay safe and warm!

Also, you live in St Louis - were you at the riot show?

We don't get snow all that often.  Last year the kids didn't even have a snow day.

I had just come back from maternity leave and wasn't at the show.  My friend who worked it wasn't let out of there until 4AM.  When the riot started, they ran for cover.  My cop friend got in on the code 1000.  That's all cops from every where come running.

Midnight and we're at 6 inches.  I've shoveled the driveway 4 times.  I'm building a wall between me and the neighbor.  :lol:  Richard might have been one of those people stuck on the highway for 5 hours if he didn't make it home in time.

Edited by cineater

Does anyone else find inspirational quotes really naff?  Like all that bollocks people put up on their social media status thingies and all that?  'Gods plan is bigger than your past'.  And there's always tons about like friendship and betrayal?  Like really grandiose ones, like they're written by the ghost of Ceasar...when its the status update of some thick tart or some fuckin' wall punching gym enthusiast...and they all have this Raoul Moatey sort of undercurrent, like they are one 'betrayal' away from being found camped out in some remote woodland somewhere having killed their ex and her boyfriend.  'Happiness is not about getting what you want, its about enjoying what you have', hm, yes, cuz that hasn't been patently obvious since you was 9 and your Mum refused to buy you a Super Soaker 500.

• Like 1

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Does anyone else find inspirational quotes really naff?  Like all that bollocks people put up on their social media status thingies and all that?  'Gods plan is bigger than your past'.  And there's always tons about like friendship and betrayal?  Like really grandiose ones, like they're written by the ghost of Ceasar...when its the status update of some thick tart or some fuckin' wall punching gym enthusiast...and they all have this Raoul Moatey sort of undercurrent, like they are one 'betrayal' away from being found camped out in some remote woodland somewhere having killed their ex and her boyfriend.  'Happiness is not about getting what you want, its about enjoying what you have', hm, yes, cuz that hasn't been patently obvious since you was 9 and your Mum refused to buy you a Super Soaker 500.

Yup. Social media is mostly bullshit.

I like some of Winston Churchill's quotes like "If you're going through hell - keep going."...you think he'd be on twitter?

9 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yup. Social media is mostly bullshit.

I like some of Winston Churchill's quotes like "If you're going through hell - keep going."...you think he'd be on twitter?

I don't understand also why one would care to give away so much of themselves?  I mean what purpose does it serve?  Even the ones who like to put out machiavellian sort of statements with Michael Corleone for a back drop, 'keep your friends close and your enemies closer'...and the bloke works in a ASOS warehouse on the night shift. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't understand also why one would care to give away so much of themselves?  I mean what purpose does it serve? 

Again, you are old. The younger generations thrive on talking about themselves. It doesn't matter what it is, from the absolutely mundane to the personal and their weaknesses -- it is social currency to them.

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Again, you are old. The younger generations thrive on talking about themselves. It doesn't matter what it is, from the absolutely mundane to the personal and their weaknesses -- it is social currency to them.

Thats not an answer though is it, I know all that, that was pretty much in my statement, my question is a very simple one...why? :lol:  'Nobody can know the depths of me', alright, well what the fuck you tellin' em for?! :lol:

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thats not an answer though is it, I know all that, that was pretty much in my statement, my question is a very simple one...why? :lol:  'Nobody can know the depths of me', alright, well what the fuck you tellin' em for?! :lol:

I have no absolutely idea. I think every generation come up with new things just to be different. And since older generations, especially before our time, were extremely private and reluctant to show any weaknesses, the pendulum has swung and now it is all about sharing. So it might not really be any other reason than to stand out and be different.

11 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I have no absolutely idea. I think every generation come up with new things just to be different. And since older generations, especially before our time, were extremely private and reluctant to show any weaknesses, the pendulum has swung and now it is all about sharing. So it might not really be any other reason than to stand out and be different.

I don't see how any of that makes you different.  Or anymore different than you are just being yourself from day to day, even if yourself is trying to copy someone else, you are still, in substance, a seperate entity.  I suppose you're the wrong person to be putting this shit to cuz you're my generation (or close enough) anyway. 

Edited by Len Cnut

Just now, Len Cnut said:

I don't see how any of that makes you different.  Or anymore different than you are just being yourself from day to day, even if yourself is trying to copy someone else, you are still, in substance, a seperate entity.  I suppose you're the wrong person to be putting this shit too cuz you're my generation (or close enough) anyway. 

I definitely think the generations that are so open to sharing everything about their lives are different from previous generations that prefer more privacy.

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I definitely think the generations that are so open to sharing everything about their lives are different from previous generations that prefer more privacy.

I think its a bit more complicated than that.  I don't think there are so many across the board rules to this shit so I'm going to try not to generalise but perhaps what certain people share is not really them giving of themselves but rather constructing an archetype of themselves that they wish to be percieved according to.  Or perhaps I dunno what the fuck I'm talking about and am being too judgemental, either of those :lol:

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think its a bit more complicated than that.  I don't think there are so many across the board rules to this shit so I'm going to try not to generalise but perhaps what certain people share is not really them giving of themselves but rather constructing an archetype of themselves that they wish to be percieved according to.  Or perhaps I dunno what the fuck I'm talking about and am being too judgemental, either of those :lol:

Sure, it is generalizations. The individual variation is huge. But still, I think a fair point can be made that recent generations are more open to sharing than previous. Both good things and bad things. Of course this is facilitated by social platforms that allow it. My father is continuously perturbed by young folks talking openly about their problems, especially those were they reveal weaknesses. It really wasn't socially acceptable when he was young...unfortunately.

And yes, I agree, a lot of what we share is just a facade, a front. Something to generate interest, regardless of what it is. But that is in a sense related to how older generations acted, although they hid aspects of themselves to appear more idealized, whereas younger generations exaggerate aspects to appeal more to the ideal of the time. 

People my age and older post that stuff on social media too. It's not just young kids. If anything, I see them posting it way more often than young people. I would excuse teenagers, but I get annoyed by people posting those inspirational quotes hinting at people who have wronged them or terrible things they have suffered. Like, tell us all about it or shut up. Plus, you're not that special. Everyone has those stories, doesn't mean everyone feels the need to hint at them.

Like why would anyone post stuff like: Life is not about who's real to your face, it's about who's real behind your back? I want to know who's a backstabber then. Plus, what does that quote mean anyway. If people are real to you, it doesn't matter if it's in your face or behind your back, right?

It made me realize other people have much more drama in their lives than I do.

Another pet peeve of mine is people who think they're so interesting their social media need teasers. Like posting a pic of themselves with a hospital bracelet and 'here we go...' Like wtf? Do I have to ask you what's wrong with you? Just tell us what's wrong or don't post about it.

In short, to me, in many cases, it's not about being open, it's about being an attention seeker.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Lio said:

It made me realize other people have much more drama in their lives than I do.

They don’t, they just make the minutia of their lives out to be more epic than it actually is.  And you’re right about older folks too...like young people couldn’t give a fuck for facebook no more, its like a fuckin’ Darby and Joan out there.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cineater said:

We don't get snow all that often.  Last year the kids didn't even have a snow day.

I had just come back from maternity leave and wasn't at the show.  My friend who worked it wasn't let out of there until 4AM.  When the riot started, they ran for cover.  My cop friend got in on the code 1000.  That's all cops from every where come running.

Midnight and we're at 6 inches.  I've shoveled the driveway 4 times.  I'm building a wall between me and the neighbor.  :lol:  Richard might have been one of those people stuck on the highway for 5 hours if he didn't make it home in time.

Yeah, for sure. It sucks to get unusual weather and not have the snow removal fleets to jump into action!

Prolly best to skip the riot. :lol:

I hope Richard arrived safe and sound. Shovellings a good work out, eh!?

On 10/01/2019 at 7:31 PM, Gracii Guns said:

I’m told that the NHS won’t treat severe depression until you’ve attempted suicide. 

Depends how you define the terms "treat" and "severe depression". The NHS has a community mental health team which can administer depot injections which is an anti psychotic med if you are considered to be a risk to yourself or others. Or your overall wellbeing is severely compromise, not necessarily suicidal.

You can get sectioned and detained in a secure hospital by a social worker (not nhs) if you go stand in Tescos naked barking at people. You will get treated while your in hospital. Couldn't class that as a suicide attempt but clearly somethings gone a little bit fucking wonky.

• Like 1