inthisriver

General Chat / Random Musings

11 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Yeah mate i'm just proud of our great nation ya know? You know what I love the most? I can sit in a pub and have a chat with a polish bloke 5 mins later a French fella then an Italian great fucking nation!!

Its a weird ol' time right now, people are immediately suspicious of any national pride at all due to negative connotations associated to it but I don't think being proud of your nation and thinking it is superior are the same thing, I think your nation your surroundings, they're a part of who you are, you can't change them any more than you can change your race, its kinda your identity.  How can you not love the land you live on, without it you wouldn't be alive in a very direct sense i.e. you eat of its fruits, spend its money, breathe its air.  None of this is to say you should be blind to its faults or fuck ups, to the contrary I think someone who truly loves their country is duty bound to point out when its fucking up, otherwise things don't ever get better and why would you want that for something you love.

Its difficult for me to not love this place though, don't really know anything else. 

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its a weird ol' time right now, people are immediately suspicious of any national pride at all due to negative connotations associated to it but I don't think being proud of your nation and thinking it is superior are the same thing, I think your nation your surroundings, they're a part of who you are, you can't change them any more than you can change your race, its kinda your identity.  How can you not love the land you live on, without it you wouldn't be alive in a very direct sense i.e. you eat of its fruits, spend its money, breathe its air.  None of this is to say you should be blind to its faults or fuck ups, to the contrary I think someone who truly loves their country is duty bound to point out when its fucking up, otherwise things don't ever get better and why would you want that for something you love.

Its difficult for me to not love this place though, don't really know anything else. 

Greatest nation im so proud of it and so I should be nothing wrong with being a patriot

22 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Greatest nation im so proud of it and so I should be nothing wrong with being a patriot

I don’t get national pride to be honest. I mean why would anybody be proud of something that has nothing to do with them? 

Proud to be British? Why? Is it an achievement to have been born somewhere? 

7 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I don’t get national pride to be honest. I mean why would anybody be proud of something that has nothing to do with them? 

I dunno really hard to explain I am just happy to be here ya know.

I can see how people would find it odd.

I'm deeply ashamed of my nation. When I go abroad and talk I don't correct people when they assume I'm Indian 😁

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Tell you what I am proud of I just let rip and it fucking STINKS

Yeah but at least you had something to do with that! :lol: 

I mean I’m glad to be here too but I’m not proud of it. 

26 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I'm just really happy for some unknown reason its rare cos i'm fucking mardy most the time

What do you thinks the matter with you? Is it a mental health thing?

2 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

What do you thinks the matter with you? Is it a mental health thing?

Well I am a bit of a fruit cake by all accounts and the stress of my job is pretty high

That's two people in the know who have told me I'm in good shape this week.  I'll probably drop dead next week.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Well I am a bit of a fruit cake by all accounts and the stress of my job is pretty high

You're not a fruit cake, you've got more important things on your mind then to pay attention to lesser matters.  Mardy just means you're analyzing and looking for solutions.  Strengths of people who take things seriously and solve the problem.  Feeling happy once in a while is just a little bit of steam let off from a more intense build up.  Yeah it sounds like a stressful job, you want to live like that for the rest of your days?

11 hours ago, cineater said:

You're not a fruit cake, you've got more important things on your mind then to pay attention to lesser matters.  Mardy just means you're analyzing and looking for solutions.  Strengths of people who take things seriously and solve the problem.  Feeling happy once in a while is just a little bit of steam let off from a more intense build up.  Yeah it sounds like a stressful job, you want to live like that for the rest of your days?

It's a highly stressful job mainly due to being under staffed and me being the only 1 out of the few staff we have that actually works hard and gives a crap 

14 hours ago, Dazey said:

Why does it have to be an achievement of yours for you to be proud of it?  Look at the ankle biter, she ain't really an achievement of yours, the other half had to be there to seal the deal, on your own you couldn't do shit...but you're proud of her right?  Well you fuckin' better be cuz she's gorgeous.  Perhaps pride is the wrong word, you have like...a fondness if you like?  I mean its just a wonderful fuckin' place, its contribution to humanity is like...immense.  Take a place like London, I can walk down the street there and I feel like...I dunno, it just strips me of my arrogance and sense of like...self importance, to be in this place that has been here since fuckin' forever, all the fuckin' people that once walked these streets, the great works of art it has inspired or the haven it has given to free thinkers and people that contributed to the advancement of the human race, artists from your Dickenses and Oscar Wildes and Samuel Peyps to like...just your ordinary folk.  London to me is like, I dunno, Paris or New York, they just feel like these centre of the universe type places, its difficult to encapsulate in a short or even long post or even a whole book why the place is so fuckin'...amazing. 

And in an odd way, it kind of is an achievement of yours.  I mean, its people that make a place what it is, isn't it?  Some to greater degrees and some to lesser but we're all part of the overall tapestry.  I mean like, for example people like yourself and me, we're part of a generation, some sort of shared experience on some convoluted level, were it not for us, the people of this place, would this place be a place?  No, it wouldn't, at least not in the way that it is now.  OK, we're kinda like...molecules in terms of importance when stacked up against Henry VIII or Queen Victoria or William Shakespeare but we're something and this is like...our collective creation, thats my feeling.  Which is not to say that like, without us it would be significantly different necessarily but we're still part of the machinery, were our ilk to be wiped out then where would it be? 

Gratitude plays a part too.  We're alive because of this place.  If there weren't an England then there couldn't've been a Chris, cuz like...you and your peoples over the centuries have eaten, slept, drank and breathed the air of this place.  Its problematic I think when it engenders a sense of superiority over others but that doesn't have to be the case, thats just cunts who take it on that level.  Of course these things can be deconstructed and it is important to guard against a tendency to completely define yourself based on such things to where its all your are about, I'm not saying we should all walk around with our cocks slung over our shoulders because of it, its a beautiful thing though.

• GNFNR 1

I don't think there's anything wrong with national pride but I can't say that I have ever felt that. Maybe a little bit when my country reached the World Cup final in 2010. Or that was just excitement. It sounds kinda lame, but I consider myself more a citizen of earth than a citizen of the country I happened to be born in. Perhaps that's also because of the region I grew up in, it has been part of so many different countries in the last couple of centuries and because of its international location. Both Germany and Belgium are literally ten minutes away, when I go for a bike ride I sometimes end up in Germany or Belgium, or both, without even realizing. The people on the other side of the border not only speak the same language, they even speak the same dialect. The biggest difference between them and people on this side of the border is that they have a different nationality. I guess you can still feel proud of your country, but I dunno... it doesn't really mean much to me.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

23 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with national pride but I can't say that I have ever felt that. Maybe a little bit when my country reached the World Cup final in 2010. Or that was just excitement. It sounds kinda lame, but I consider myself more a citizen of earth than a citizen of the country I happened to be born in. Perhaps that's also because of the region I grew up in, it has been part of so many different countries in the last couple of centuries and because of its international location. Both Germany and Belgium are literally ten minutes away, when I go for a bike ride I sometimes end up in Germany or Belgium, or both, without even realizing. The people on the other side of the border not only speak the same language, they even speak the same dialect. The biggest difference between them and people on this side of the border is that they have a different nationality. I guess you can still feel proud of your country, but I dunno... it doesn't really mean much to me.

Isn't that kind of to the credit of the country though, I mean you are the way you are because you were born there and exposed to that, perhaps it would've been difficult to feel like a citizen of earth in the same way if you were born in Kenya or something.  Its another way in which your country has shaped you, in a positive sense being as how you seem quite happy with the way you've turned out in terms of your feelings regarding your nationality. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That's pretty cool not many people can say there just popping out to Belgium for 10 mins 

14 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

That's pretty cool not many people can say there just popping out to Belgium for 10 mins 

It used to be a hassle when you had to exchange currency all the time (we always went to a bakery in a Belgian town or grocery shopping in Germany), but thanks to the Euro that problem is solved. 

36 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Isn't that kind of to the credit of the country though, I mean you are the way you are because you were born there and exposed to that, perhaps it would've been difficult to feel like a citizen of earth in the same way if you were born in Kenya or something.  Its another way in which your country has shaped you, in a positive sense being as how you seem quite happy with the way you've turned out in terms of your feelings regarding your nationality. 

It is, had I been born in your country I might have felt different and be more nationalistic. Who knows.

On a side note, I scrolled through the first pages of this thread (to see how old it is), and you were a fucking madman back then. You've softened.

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It is, had I been born in your country I might have felt different and be more nationalistic. Who knows.

On a side note, I scrolled through the first pages of this thread (to see how old it is), and you were a fucking madman back then. You've softened.

Yeah, some dickhead shit back there :lol:   In my defence it was never unprovoked though.

My gf said she wants to get more into rock music (she's a big country fan), what bands/songs would you use to properly introduce someone to rock? 

18 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

My gf said she wants to get more into rock music (she's a big country fan), what bands/songs would you use to properly introduce someone to rock? 

L.A.M.F - Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers

Raw Power - Iggy and The Stooges

Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Funny you should say that because I had a browse back to the start of the thread too having read your post here. The first thing I saw was this picture of my little girl in the football kit that Len bought her just after she was born so he wasn't always bad even then. :lol: 

On 09/12/2014 at 9:35 PM, Dazey said:

Present from Uncle Lenny. :lol:

F5D71A95-BB88-4F93-90C9-281D8024D6A2_zps

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1