inthisriver

General Chat / Random Musings

3 minutes ago, Lio said:

Watching Border Security I can't believe how suspicious they are of anyone trying to get into the country. If you're just an adventurous young person backpacking on little money or planning, you get put on the first plane back to wherever you came from. Also, apparently they have the right to search someone's phone or e-mails, just because they think you might be wanting to work there. When you visit Australia, apparently you forfeit any right to privacy at all.

A girl who's a model had to explain why she got 7000 dollars for a modelling assignment in Canada. Like WTF, what business is that of you? And she was denied access to Australia because they thought there was a chance she'd work as a model in Australia too. They found no evidence at all on her phone or anything of any business contacts, but she didn't have a return ticket and no plans yet, so she got sent back. That to me sounds crazy and makes me never want to visit Australia.

Yeah it's fucked up and they don't give a fuck and that's not gonna change anytime soon mate. I wouldn't go there if I were you. Imagine taking a 14 fucking hour flight and then "Wait a minute you've got money in your bank account?! SEND HER BACK TO WHERE SHE CAME FROM!"

They're descendants from scum the UK didn't want and dumped there and I think they're deeply insecure pussies about that and that has turned them into this fucking mindlessness and hatred. 

Most/many Aussies are good normal people. But this kind of thing is ingrained throughout their society it's not just skinheads so it makes you wonder.

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

30164d03cd45c1c47fb8aaaca4aee9df.jpg

Surely this is not a greeting but Prince Britain (can't remember his name) headbutting a republican.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Surely this is not a greeting but Prince Britain (can't remember his name) headbutting a republican.

looks more like he's grabbed him by the nuts and leaned in to whisper a threat, hence the fellas pained expression.

Edited by Len Cnut

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

looks more like he's grabbed him by the nuts and leaned in to whisper a threat, hence the fellas pained expression.

"Prostrate, you effeminate commoner!"

18 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

"Prostrate, you effeminate commoner!"

More like prostate :lol:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Forsaken said:

giphy.gif

Hows it goin' fella, not seen you about in a bit, hows the life and times?

Monet painting sold for 98,8 million euro.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor monet record haystack

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

15 hours ago, EvanG said:

Lovely painting. Stupid pricing and pretentious art scene.

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, EvanG said:

What a load of fucking shite!!!! :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

38 minutes ago, Dazey said:

What a load of fucking shite!!!! :lol: 

Yes, it is not fine art that's for sure, fine art as demonstrated in the following masterpiece,

Screen-Shot-2016-08-19-at-12.49.28.png

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, it is not fine art that's for sure, fine art as demonstrated in the following masterpiece,

No, it’s a lovely picture and all but I wouldn’t give you £50 for it. No painting is worth even a fraction of that sale price. Ah never mind, it’s going to spend the rest of its life locked in a vault as part of some rich idiot’s investment portfolio anyway. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dazey said:

No, it’s a lovely picture and all but I wouldn’t give you £50 for it. No painting is worth even a fraction of that sale price. Ah never mind, it’s going to spend the rest of its life locked in a vault as part of some rich idiot’s investment portfolio anyway. 

A thing is worth what people are willing to pay for it, A gameboy weren't worth over a ton back in the day, an iphone ain't worth what it costs to put it together, nor is a Rolex, the value of that painting is predicated on it being a seminal work in its particular sphere, not the price of the fuckin' canvas and paints, why the fuck am I even explaining this to you, you know this :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

A thing is worth what people are willing to pay for it, A gameboy weren't worth over a ton back in the day, an iphone ain't worth what it costs to put it together, nor is a Rolex, the value of that painting is predicated on it being a seminal work in its particular sphere, not the price of the fuckin' canvas and paints, why the fuck am I even explaining this to you, you know this :lol:

Well off subject but i loved my Gameboy back in the day was tempted to pick up a DS for my flight to Bangkok but a mixture of work and sheer laziness means I never did 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Actually, at this level apparently the value becomes more about who's owned the piece.

And that's fuckin' lame.

13 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Actually, at this level apparently the value becomes more about who's owned the piece.

And that's fuckin' lame.

That factors in as well.  I actually agree with you but it is what it is y'know, things become of historical importance often based on whoose owned them.  55 years ago a guitar owned by John Lennon would just be a guitar, 5 years later it'd be a guitar of some note, now in 2019 the things like gold dust...and in another century or so it'll be a hugely important piece.  Things are valued based on how many there are in the world/how hard they are to find, same reason we value gold and diamonds and such, same with a John Lennon guitar, there simply ain't that many of them in the world so by definition they are valuable.  And they become of historical importance too, an important part of the construct of history is the preservation of historical pieces such as this, in the same way some archaelogical find from Greek or Roman times is considered 'priceless', these things are important because they aid us in a better and more accurate understanding of history, they really are priceless in that sense.  I agree that there is something obscene about it in a world where some people struggle to get their hands on a loaf of bread but these things need to be understood in their proper context, its not just any old shit slapped on a bit of canvas, you can't look at it in the same light as the framed poster of Scarface on your living room wall or whatever.

On 14/05/2019 at 7:58 AM, Lio said:

Watching Border Security I can't believe how suspicious they are of anyone trying to get into the country. If you're just an adventurous young person backpacking on little money or planning, you get put on the first plane back to wherever you came from. Also, apparently they have the right to search someone's phone or e-mails, just because they think you might be wanting to work there. When you visit Australia, apparently you forfeit any right to privacy at all.

A girl who's a model had to explain why she got 7000 dollars for a modelling assignment in Canada. Like WTF, what business is that of you? And she was denied access to Australia because they thought there was a chance she'd work as a model in Australia too. They found no evidence at all on her phone or anything of any business contacts, but she didn't have a return ticket and no plans yet, so she got sent back. That to me sounds crazy and makes me never want to visit Australia.

I know right?  When I went there the security guy was really aggressive interrogating me. I sjould have written a letter of complaint. He was being really unfriendly. Never visiting Australia again.

The trauma of it all nearly caused the 3 bags of cocaine I had rammed up my arsehole to fall out. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

That factors in as well.  I actually agree with you but it is what it is y'know, things become of historical importance often based on whoose owned them.  55 years ago a guitar owned by John Lennon would just be a guitar, 5 years later it'd be a guitar of some note, now in 2019 the things like gold dust...and in another century or so it'll be a hugely important piece.  Things are valued based on how many there are in the world/how hard they are to find, same reason we value gold and diamonds and such, same with a John Lennon guitar, there simply ain't that many of them in the world so by definition they are valuable.  And they become of historical importance too, an important part of the construct of history is the preservation of historical pieces such as this, in the same way some archaelogical find from Greek or Roman times is considered 'priceless', these things are important because they aid us in a better and more accurate understanding of history, they really are priceless in that sense.  I agree that there is something obscene about it in a world where some people struggle to get their hands on a loaf of bread but these things need to be understood in their proper context, its not just any old shit slapped on a bit of canvas, you can't look at it in the same light as the framed poster of Scarface on your living room wall or whatever.

The value of diamonds are artificially inflated. Can't remember the name of the corporation but the cunts hoard all the diamonds to create scarcity. Plus the whole diamonds are a girl's best friend thing is cold, calculated, ugly marketing so it's about the most pedestrian and unromantic gesture you can think of. If I ever marry I'll buy the girl a house or something and a personally designed ring instead.

P.S. No judgement but @Lio probably sees that Monet haystack as an abstract gangbang of thousands of people or something lol. She's quite literally obsessed with sex. :lol:

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

The value of diamonds are artificially inflated. Can't remember the name of the corporation but the cunts hoard all the diamonds to create scarcity.

Which amounts to the same thing, there's less of em in circulation hence the value goes up, same with Rolex watches, to get a Submariner no date, which is actually one of the cheaper Rolex watches, well, dunno about cheaper but its not the most expensive out there, a new one will set you back about 5 and a half grand...but there's a 3 year waiting list just to get one because its an 'iconic watch' and because Rolex deliberately only make so many of them each year when they could easily make and sell more but they want to keep the prices up.  If you want to buy a new one off a secondary market they're like 7 grand.  Its a beautiful timepiece and the original in a particular sphere (i.e. divers watches) and groundbreaking too, which is part of its attraction, there's things to it for a horological point of view that make it the dogs bollocks (as well as being famous for fuckin' James Bond) but is it 7 grands worth of dogs bollocks?  Well as long as people are willing to pay that much for it they are, I paid nigh on six and a half for mine.  And this is actually one of the lesser expensive Rolexes, there are diamond encrusted jobbies (which I think look vulgar but there you go) and all sorts of other ones like the Rolex Daytona or Rolex Datejust which are a fuckload more expensive but less sought after, all markets are controlled really, its how economies function.

Also its an investment cuz they retain value, thats diamonds, Monets and Rolexes.

Edited by Len Cnut

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Which amounts to the same thing, there's less of em in circulation hence the value goes up, same with Rolex watches, to get a Submariner no date, which is actually one of the cheaper Rolex watches, its not the most expensive out there, a new one will set you back about 5 and a half grand...but there's a 3 year waiting list just to get one because its an 'iconic watch' and because Rolex deliberately only make so many of them each year when they could easily make and sell more but they want to keep the prices up.  If you want to buy a new one off a secondary market they're like 7 grand.  Its a beautiful timepiece and the original in a particular sphere (i.e. divers watches) and groundbreaking too, which is part of its attraction, there's things to it for a horological point of view that make it the dogs bollocks (as well as being famous for fuckin' James Bond) but is it 7 grands worth of dogs bollocks?  Well as long as people are willing to pay that much for it they are, I paid nigh on six and a half for mine.  And this is actually one of the lesser expensive Rolexes, there are diamond encrusted jobbies (which I think look vulgar but there you go) and all sorts of other ones like the Rolex Daytona or Rolex Datejust which are a fuckload more expensive but less sought after, all markets are controlled really, its how economies function.

I'd feel too anxious to go around wearing an expensive watch. Don't you worry?

I dreamed design elements of a house. One of which is a large jade fireplace like a frozen vertical green wave. That would be costly and apparently tradesmen would take the piss and inflate their costs; so fuck that. I guess if I'm to be lavish I want to be on my terms.

But we're no fools, we pay artists a reasonable rate to see them in a football stadium. $80 for a second copy of their debut album. Theres art and theres commerce and the twain shall never meet, thats what we say here on the forum. That Monet brand has really lost its way.

• Like 1