inthisriver

General Chat / Random Musings

I'd feel too anxious to go around wearing an expensive watch. Don't you worry?

Not really, I don't walk the streets going 'HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT MY ROLEX!' and on the face of it it just looks like a divers watch though tea leafs tend to know what they are looking for and it is pretty iconic in that sense, it was pointed out to me prior to purchase thats its the most copied and most thieved watch in the world and often Rolex buyers, when selecting their first Rolex tend to go 'i thought about a Submariner but I don't want to get mugged on the tube' but fuck that, you can't live your life like that and when I'm not at work I'm a bit of a scruff-bag, aside from the watch (which is usually under a sleeve as watches tend to be) I don't look like someone whoose a likely candidate for mugging, with my knackered jeans and chavvy Adidas :lol: 

I dreamed design elements of a house. One of which is a large jade fireplace like a frozen vertical green wave. That would be costly and apparently tradesmen would take the piss and inflate their costs; so fuck that. I guess if I'm to be lavish I want to be on my terms.

Capitalist pig :lol:  I've always wanted to destroy a big house.  Y'know those big bastards they used to have on MTV Cribs, all tucked away in the Hollywood Hills?  Its sort of a fantasy of mine, to spend an afternoon just trashing this big ornate beautiful house that someone has spent tons of love and care building.  Methodically, take my time with it.  Go through it with a baseball bat first, spray paint it, take a sledgehammer and fuck the chandeliers and bannisters, I mean really do it with a lot of care and attention.  And then, as the suns setting, set fire to the bastard and bask in the glow of my own personally created hellfire.  I think it'd look beautiful at certain points.  Freud could get a lot out of that :lol:

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Lovely painting. Stupid pricing and pretentious art scene.

I couldn't agree more, Monet is one of my favourite impressionists, but those kind of figures for a painting are absurd.

Edited by EvanG
  • GNFNR 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, soon said:

But we're no fools, we pay artists a reasonable rate to see them in a football stadium. $80 for a second copy of their debut album. Theres art and theres commerce and the twain shall never meet, thats what we say here on the forum. That Monet brand has really lost its way.

I think a lot of great artists would puke on some level when they saw what their work ended up as.  But the artist becomes kinda incidental eventually.  Its like the artists intent in writing a song like, I dunno, Help by The Beatles, any massive fuckin' band and their overplayed song, John Lennon Paul McCartney George Harrison and Ringo Starr will be long gone from the world and people will still be listening to and feeling and bringing their own baggage and meaning to that song for decades to come.  Once you make a piece of art your involvement and authority even on it is kinda finished, thats like a living thing now thats gonna grow and evolve and live on and its lifespan, if the art is well recieved (and often even when its not), is a lot longer than yours.  Artists die, audiences die, art doesn't really die. 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Not really, I don't walk the streets going 'HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT MY ROLEX!' and on the face of it it just looks like a divers watch though tea leafs tend to know what they are looking for and it is pretty iconic in that sense, it was pointed out to me prior to purchase thats its the most copied and most thieved watch in the world and often Rolex buyers, when selecting their first Rolex tend to go 'i thought about a Submariner but I don't want to get mugged on the tube' but fuck that, you can't live your life like that and when I'm not at work I'm a bit of a scruff-bag, aside from the watch (which is usually under a sleeve as watches tend to be) I don't look like someone whoose a likely candidate for mugging, with my knackered jeans and chavvy Adidas :lol: 

Capitalist pig :lol:  I've always wanted to destroy a big house.  Y'know those big bastards they used to have on MTV Cribs, all tucked away in the Hollywood Hills?  Its sort of a fantasy of mine, to spend an afternoon just trashing this big ornate beautiful house that someone has spent tons of love and care building.  Methodically, take my time with it.  Go through it with a baseball bat first, spray paint it, take a sledgehammer and fuck the chandeliers and bannisters, I mean really do it with a lot of care and attention.  And then, as the suns setting, set fire to the bastard and bask in the glow of my own personally created hellfire.  I think it'd look beautiful at certain points.  Freud could get a lot out of that :lol:

And then it'd be worth even more, surely? They'd point to it and say "These ashes were once Oldest Goat's dream."

13 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

And then it'd be worth even more, surely? They'd point to it and say "These ashes were once Oldest Goat's dream."

Oh I almost forgot, Iggy Pop has to be playing on massive sound system speakers whilst I work on this house :lol: 

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Oh I almost forgot, Iggy Pop has to be playing on massive sound system speakers whilst I work on this house :lol: 

You should watch Rick and Morty you'll like it.

12 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

You should watch Rick and Morty you'll like it.

More than a few people have said that to me.  I kinda stopped watching cartoons after The Simpsons but I've caught the odd bits of Family Guy and American Dad which were quite funny.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

More than a few people have said that to me.  I kinda stopped watching cartoons after The Simpsons but I've caught the odd bits of Family Guy and American Dad which were quite funny.

Watch Rick and Morty and also BoJack Horseman

:lol:
But The Simpsons are trash now. They should've just gone on reruns.

17 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Watch Rick and Morty and also BoJack Horseman

:lol:
But The Simpsons are trash now. They should've just gone on reruns.

Stopped watching around the time of the movie. 

• Sad 1

I can barely get through a The Simpson's episode nowadays so I don't even try anymore. Southpark has always been hit or miss for me, but I've watched some Bob's Burgers in recent years, and it's quite good too.

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think a lot of great artists would puke on some level when they saw what their work ended up as.  But the artist becomes kinda incidental eventually.  Its like the artists intent in writing a song like, I dunno, Help by The Beatles, any massive fuckin' band and their overplayed song, John Lennon Paul McCartney George Harrison and Ringo Starr will be long gone from the world and people will still be listening to and feeling and bringing their own baggage and meaning to that song for decades to come.  Once you make a piece of art your involvement and authority even on it is kinda finished, thats like a living thing now thats gonna grow and evolve and live on and its lifespan, if the art is well recieved (and often even when its not), is a lot longer than yours.  Artists die, audiences die, art doesn't really die. 

Especially the artists who painted peasants would be surprised!

I take your point, well said. Not only its meaning can evolve over time in the mind of the audience, but in classical music the notations meaning can be lost to time changing the substance of the work.

I think its fun when artists try and play around with that reality. That bansksy hustle comes to mind - he destroyed the art on purchase (I know you hated it, lol). Though I suppose the work simply transferred medium to the video of the destruction and the shreds. Wu's time capsule is another interesting way of engaging the 'possession' aspect of art. And Bowies was really powerful - after his death it was discovered that the star on the cover of Black Star changes colour if you leave it in the sun (smh like that). 

Dylan playing no hits seems like a little push back against the commodification of himself.

Yet, every word I type on this screen is an affirmation of my consent to have my thoughts, identity and creativity commodified. And the pop up ads that will now include ads for auction houses give receipt that the transaction has already taken place. Once my words written its in the possession of the capitalists and I dont control how its assessed. Maybe fine art and big data have a lot in common? I wonder which one has more cash value.

Your Beatles example reminded me of Yesterdays, the upcoming movie where only one guy remembers the Beatles. Therefore Beatles songs are 'his songs.' I cant decide if I find it compelling or syrupy sweet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spunko12345 said:

I know right?  When I went there the security guy was really aggressive interrogating me. I sjould have written a letter of complaint. He was being really unfriendly. Never visiting Australia again.

The trauma of it all nearly caused the 3 bags of cocaine I had rammed up my arsehole to fall out. 

To be fair you could shove a watermelon up your arsehole and it wouldn't touch the sides! :lol: 

50 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I couldn't agree more, Monet is one of my favourite impressionists

I prefer Rory Bremner.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I prefer Rory Bremner.

You always struck me as more of a Mike Yarwood type :lol:

Had an email as someone has found a dead cat they want shifting and in the report they have said " It is known to be extremely feral "  Well I wouldn't worry much about that love it ain't going to do much to you now its brown bread is it ? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Had an email as someone has found a dead cat they want shifting and in the report they have said " It is known to be extremely feral "  Well I wouldn't worry much about that love it ain't going to do much to you now its brown bread is it ? 

Yeah, I'd lay money on the fact that its tweety chasing days are over you old bag :lol:  In fact, email her that back!

Today was my husband's grandmother's funeral. My MIL got stoned beforehand. 

I don't even approve of wearing colours at funerals, so you can imagine how I feel about this. :lol:

• Haha 2

A 77 year old woman ran down an 8 year old little girl and she died.

She's been sentenced to a $500 fine, her license has been suspended for 5 years and she got community service.

She has yet to say she's sorry about what she did. There was nothing wrong with her car, so it's all her fault.

Honestly, I think the DMV should start giving people over 60 the actual driving test again to see if they can still operate a car and abide by the rules of the road.  I know my mom and dad don't drive at night because it's hard for them to see when it's dark on some roads. 

Since it seems some older people can't realize when it's time to stop driving, I think the state should make the decision.

A child is dead and her family and friends are just devastated by this. How do you get over some thing like this?

2 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Today was my husband's grandmother's funeral. My MIL got stoned beforehand. 

I don't even approve of wearing colours at funerals, so you can imagine how I feel about this. :lol:

When my mom's grandmother died, one of her daughter-in-laws who was from Kentucky dressed in a red suite. Well, my family is of Italian decent, so you can imagine how everyone felt about this. Since moving to Dallas I have been to some funerals and I know some of them don't wear black anymore, so I guess it's just how respectful you are to the deceased person and not what you're wearing to the funeral.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I guess it's just how respectful you are to the deceased person and not what you're wearing to the funeral.

While this is the core sentiment of any funeral, and it's absolutely true. We live in a time when we're at greatest liberty to be individuals and express ourselves. Societies can't count on a common shared religious belief or folk tradition to unite them. I like the idea that funerals could be the one occasion where we put ourselves aside to grieve in solidarity, acknowledging there are times our lives which aren't all about us. There are times when people should be sad, and shouldn't be expected to feign joy. Wearing black is a simple act everyone can do, which differentiates a funeral from any other event. 

Disclaimer: this obviously varies between cultures and countries. It's also just my opinion.:lol:

I don't think I have ever worn black clothing to a funeral, it is unimportant in my opinion.

I always wear black for funerals unless asked not to. Before my Dad died he said he didn't want anyone in black. Bit shit really 'cause i love wearing black :lol:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I always wear black for funerals unless asked not to. Before my Dad died he said he didn't want anyone in black. Bit shit really 'cause i love wearing black :lol:

So you killed him! :lol::hug:

I don't think it's that important what you wear and I don't think wearing the same thing brings people together. I went to a boys only school which had uniforms. It was horrible. Had literally about 250 demerits for not tucking in my shirt and was almost expelled. 

Edited by Oldest Goat
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Had literally about 250 demerits for not tucking in my shirt and was almost expelled. 

Goat.....always the rebel. :P :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, marlingrl03 said:

Goat.....always the rebel. :P :lol:

They just don't understand me I hate them! *slams the door and plays 'Sorry' loud* :lol:

• Haha 2

They just don't understand me I hate them! *slams the door and plays 'Sorry' loud* :lol:

In one school I went to we used to get these little stickers called 'commendations' that they'd stick in your study diary which meant you were a good student or had done something of note, the opposite of a demerit I guess.  Me and my mate nicked a load of em out of the teachers desk and filled our study diaries commendation section with em.  Trouble with that was we were a couple of little toerags so at the end of the year when they did the big tally up and granted whatever award it was that you got for most commendations me and my mate were in front and it was immediately apparent that something iffy was going on cuz like, alright, I was naughty and everything but my mate was like one of them problem childs, like a serious wrong 'un, he was so bad they stood him up in class once to read from this book we were reading in English and he could barely fuckin' read :lol:  Not cuz he was dim or there was something wrong with him, he just never fuckin' applied himself ever in his life to study so like, me and this dickhead, with all the brass neck in the world, getting awarded for most commendations in the school was never gonna happen :lol:  What was funny about it was he was top of the league in getting pink slips too (our version of a demerit I guess :lol:).  I weren't far behind him either.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1