inthisriver

General Chat / Random Musings

29 minutes ago, Dazey said:

So I couldn’t work out how to spell syphilis per my last post so I googled it on my phone.  My google account on my phone is linked to my computer at home and I’m on a tram right now into Manchester. I just received a text from the wife asking why I’m googling sexually transmitted diseases. :lol: 

I think she was actually more disappointed in me when I told her it was a mygnr thing than she would have been if I told her that I actually had cockrot and that her nose was about to drop off. :lol: 

She must be used to the random shit that goes down here by now 

12 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

They’re sort of unbiquitous aren’t they?  Trends change according to like, slim or regular, or bombers or bikers or cafes or truckers...but they’re kinda always in.  Dsquared2 do some nice ones if you’ve got a few quid to spare.  Soul Revolver have some absolute belters too.  Schott are a good go to, especially if you’re into bikers jackets, they made THE bikers jackets...and THE bomber jackets too come to that though we’re getting a bit blokey there.  

Since I’ve gotten old and apathetic my standard uniform is a black leather jacket, t shirt, jeans and a pair of Adidas...add a scarf when its cold and bobs your uncle.  I have a theory about clothes.  Your shoes and jacket HAVE to be sick, you can blag with the rest.  Bit of a pikey approach to fashion but i can stand 100-150 on shoes, maybe a 300 quid leather jacket, t shirts, shirts and jeans you have to buy too regularly to be able to stomach spending 100s on em every time.

Thanks Len. You're right about having a good jacket can really make an outfit. I love coats and jackets, there are a lot of variations available, depending on the weather conditions. Jackets are cultural signifiers. So I feel funny about having too many. Which is a very odd thing, as it's not as if they're unattainable. I appreciate designed clothes, and will buy vintage or something from Oxfam online if it's the right look. 

I can't say I agree with you as much on shoes. But womens' shoes can be cheap and look nice. Mens' shoes tend to be the size of boats and wear out quicker, so you're probably right in investing in a quality pair. Shoes are fairly boring for me. Always black, so they go with every outfit, and they do get repaired at the cobblers. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

She must be used to the random shit that goes down here by now 

Jellied eels and knob rot? Standard. :lol: 

23 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

I havent worn one since the Libertines and the Strokes got fat.

Pete Doherty is a filthy AIDS ridden smack-rat who needs a good kicking and several years of national service.  

He also wrote two of the best albums (Libs 1+2) that I’ve ever heard. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Yes Len with the Nas avatar!

NY state of mind what a tune!!!

My favorite is Rewind. I just think it was a dope an unique concept.

17 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Pete Doherty is a filthy AIDS ridden smack-rat who needs a good kicking and several years of national service.  

He also wrote two of the best albums (Libs 1+2) that I’ve ever heard. 

He was born in Hexham, Northumberland.

22 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

My favorite is Rewind. I just think it was a dope an unique concept.

Yeah thats a good tune too I love the beat.

Either is the best diss track ever to be made fucking murders Jay Z.

Second has to be Hit Em Up by 2Pac

Edited by lukepowell1988

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He was born in Hexham, Northumberland.

His old man was a military fella. The Libertines were my band in that era. I first woo’d my now wife by knocking on her hotel door in New Orleans wearing a Grenadier Guardsman’s jacket. :lol:  

I still have the jacket but I’m a fat cunt now so I can’t wear it. Anymore. :( 

Edited by Dazey

19 minutes ago, Dazey said:

His old man was a military fella. The Libertines were my band in that era. I first woo’d my now wife by knocking on her hotel door in New Orleans wearing a Grenadier Guardsman’s jacket. :lol:  

I still have the jacket but I’m a fat cunt now so I can’t wear it. Anymore. :( 

How do you know it is the Grenadiers? Continuous buttons. From memory,

Grenadiers: continuous 

Coldstream: pairs

Scots: 3

Irish: 4

Welsh: 5

You can also look at the plume and the collar (Thistle for Scotland, Leek for Welsh, etc) but that is the easiest way.

20 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I first woo’d my now wife by knocking on her hotel door in New Orleans wearing nothing but my Guns N' Roses tattoo. She thought I was the coolest. 

Fixed. :lol:

I wore a bright pink zebra print bubble skirt on my first date with the husband. 

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

How do you know it is the Grenadiers? Continuous buttons. From memory,

Grenadiers: continuous 

Coldstream: pairs

Scots: 3

Irish: 4

Welsh: 5

You can also look at the plume and the collar (Thistle for Scotland, Leek for Welsh, etc) but that is the easiest way.

I bought the jacket from a stall in Leeds at the height of Libsmania because it was red with gold buttons. Some toff in the Original Oak in Headingley pulled me up and lectured me for wearing it as “I’m not nor was i ever a member of the Grenadier Guards”. 

I agreed with him and promptly poured a pint over his head and ran like fuck! :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I bought the jacket from a stall in Leeds at the height of Libsmania because it was red with gold buttons. Some toff in the Original Oak in Headingley pulled me up and lectured me for wearing it as “I’m not nor was i ever a member of the Grenadier Guards”. 

I agreed with him and promptly poured a pint over his head then ran like fuck! :lol: 

Your life is full of anecdotes such as this.

Wearing Victorian era British Army attire in an ironic manner was popular in the Swinging Sixties following Sgt Pepper's

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Your life is full of anecdotes such as this.

Wearing Victorian era British Army attire in an ironic manner was popular in the Swinging Sixties following Sgt Pepper's

I literally did it because I loved the Libertines. 

I mentioned it because I’m sure you know the pub in Headingley. 😁

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I literally did it because I loved the Libertines. 

I mentioned it because I’m sure you know the pub in Headingley. 😁

Couldn't name a single song. Weren't you a bit old for the Libertines? They were outside my era and I'm younger than you? 

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Couldn't name a single song. Weren't you a bit old for the Libertines? They were outside my era and I'm younger than you? 

Their first album came out in October 2002 so I’d have been 23. That’s not too old is it? I joined  here in November of 02.

I’m actually 40 today and I’ve been on here for 17 of those years. I’m not sure if that’s good or pretty tragic. :lol: 

52 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Their first album came out in October 2002 so I’d have been 23. That’s not too old is it? I joined  here in November of 02.

I’m actually 40 today and I’ve been on here for 17 of those years. I’m not sure if that’s good or pretty tragic. :lol: 

Old bugger ''jiving with the youngins'' like an embarrassing uncle?

Rock music for me ended somewhere in the mid '90s, Oasis, the grungy yank stuff, etc. After that I have some vague memory of all these Kaiser Monkey type bands appearing after the millennium, and the aesthetics didn't seem bad but I couldn't be arsed. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Old bugger ''jiving with the youngins'' like an embarrassing uncle?

Rock music for me ended somewhere in the mid '90s, Oasis, the grungy yank stuff, etc. After that I have some vague memory of all these Kaiser Monkey type bands appearing after the millennium, and the aesthetics didn't seem bad but I couldn't be arsed. 

Hang on! You’re younger than me and rock music ended for you in the mid 90’s? How old were you when What’s the Story Morning Glory came out? Did rock music end for you before puberty? :lol: 

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

Hang on! You’re younger than me and rock music ended for you in the mid 90’s? How old were you when What’s the Story Morning Glory came out? Did rock music end for you before puberty? :lol: 

For me these days it is almost a case of music ending with Wagner, 1883.

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Never got on with em myself, to be honest they just looked like middle class fraggles. This was at the time.  I’ve since heard a couple songs and yknow what, they ain’t bad at all, very English in their preoccupations, Kinksy almost in that respect if not musically speaking.

Their first albums title, Up the Bracket, I recognised immediately as a Tony Hancock quote, that used to be his line, ‘i shall fetch you a punch right up the bracket!’  

It is weird but I believe a lot of people do employ a ne plus ultra for their musical preferences. That is why you hear middle aged people who just like the ''60s'' stuff, and think everything recorded after circa 1974 is utter bollocks (in fairness, they are 99.9% correct). You see a lot of people on television quiz shows - I like quizing - and when the category ''music'' arrives, they'll profess extreme ignorance after a certain point in time, be that the ''60s'', ''70s'' or ''80s''.

In a sense there is too much music. There is almost a sense of, ''that'll do me - that is sufficient for one person''. You couldn't possibly listen to every single piece of music of quality so you put up the shutters: so we sort of mentally circumvent the music of our youth with a gigantic wall, replete with moat to keep ''Madonna'' out.

I am not saying it is the correct way to proceed but I do think it proceeds.

I've got to be listening to new stuff all the time or else I get bored.  I mean it don't have to be new, just new to me.  But like...there's SOOOO fucking much out there.  So much on my backlog of stuff i know I'm gonna give a chance some day or another, I really mean it, there's enough for ten life times. 

The last year or so I've been pretty lazy in seeking out new music. I listen to a very small pool of tracks, lately. Most due to the stereo being surrounded by drying herbs making it difficult to get at and store albums near it.

I listen to CD and Amelia Curran on my stereo. Sometimes Joe Pass sneaks on. On vinyl I just keep listening to Blizzard of Oz, Kinks Misfits and Floyds Umma Gumma. The radio show Canada Live turns me on to all the pop country you can handle! My youtube feed seems really locked in with some Guns, Bash and Pop, Praxis, Jerry Cans, Jullie Corrigan, Mary Spender and Frog Leap Studios doing Sultans of Swing, SOAD, RATM, Grimes, A Tribe Called Red, Dead Prez and Grateful Dead.

So Im lucky to be a Dead fan as the music never stops. Theres new music in each listen.

23 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

(I'd have a pop at the taffs but I have no idea what their cuisine is! :lol:)

Seaweed and cheese on toast.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, spunko12345 said:

Seaweed and cheese on toast.

I been on the cheese on toast the last three days in a row as it goes :lol: