inthisriver

General Chat / Random Musings

13 hours ago, soon said:

Meet the new boss. Just like the old boss.

Not to be a nerdy pedantic Who geek but its 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss'.  Now gimme my fuckin' first place geek rosette!

26 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Not to be a nerdy pedantic Who geek but its 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss'.  Now gimme my fuckin' first place geek rosette!

HAHA, great catch! So it is 'Same as the old boss.' And what is the internet for if not to be nerdy and pedantic? You're a top Who fan, good sir.

What do you make of the recent/current tour with an orchestra?

31 minutes ago, soon said:

HAHA, great catch! So it is 'Same as the old boss.' And what is the internet for if not to be nerdy and pedantic? You're a top Who fan, good sir.

What do you make of the recent/current tour with an orchestra?

I haven't really followed anything Who-wise post Moon.  I think The Who were this really rare one off musical cocktail made of 4 essential ingridients and if you remove either one of those it ain't The Who anymore, moreso than other bands, you can get a Gilby to fill in in a GnR but who the fuck can fill in for a Moon?  Or an Entwhistle?  They're just freak fuckin' one offs.  And then to take those two freak one offs and put em in this band and have them have this weird musical synergy that on paper is totally wrong for a rock band, musically speaking what are the odds of that?  Got to be in the billions.  And then a songwriter guitarist like Townshend is like a once in a generation thing.  Even Rog', who gets unfairly treated sometimes, he's the face of the band, the voice of the band, their whole masculinity thing that they are so synonymous with, thats 99% down to Rog' Daltrey.  It literally breaks my heart seeing them without Moon, its like watching the worlds greatest figure skater missing a leg.

• Like 1

I must've heard a couple...and I've seen a few like, little Superbowl Performance things.  But generally its a depressing experience.  I mean its not like I was ever even alive when Moon was to be so precious about it all.  I think I heard this one song called Real Good Looking Boy, which was just Rog' and Pete.  I think its about Elvis.

They seem to have just added more and more layers of additional instruments to compensate for Moon and Entwhislte. And I dont know if they cut back on any of the synth and guitar players for this tour, but regardless they seem to be continuing to add other musicalities to fill the space. Its odd especially that just the 2 have carried on since recently theyve been open about not really having a very close relationship and not really understanding each other all that well. 

15 minutes ago, soon said:

They seem to have just added more and more layers of additional instruments to compensate for Moon and Entwhislte. And I dont know if they cut back on any of the synth and guitar players for this tour, but regardless they seem to be continuing to add other musicalities to fill the space. Its odd especially that just the 2 have carried on since recently theyve been open about not really having a very close relationship and not really understanding each other all that well. 

Pete said as much in an interview, specifically in relation to Entwhistle, that his sound covered so much ground and gave them so much richness musically that they'd need an orchestra to fill in.  This was years ago, many years ago now, interesting to see that they're actually doing just that now.

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Pete said as much in an interview, specifically in relation to Entwhistle, that his sound covered so much ground and gave them so much richness musically that they'd need an orchestra to fill in.  This was years ago, many years ago now, interesting to see that they're actually doing just that now.

Oh thats facsinating. Yeah and the sonics kinda shoot off his bass like lasers in every direction, too. I think Roger did an orchestra Tommy tour last year and Pete used that as a tester to see if it could be done. Must have been close enough to what he had in mind all those years ago.

25 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rog is a thorough Brexiteer - what a legend,

Haha

He's a proper hardnut y'know.  Used to knock Townshend and Moon about a bit back in the day.  A lot of the old boys are pro Brexit.  Michael Caine is another one.  All my heroes are Brexiteers for some reason :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

34 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Whaey it's Pete " I ain't a pedo I was researching " Townsend 

Don't be calling my mate Pete a pedo or I'll come down to Aylesbury and kick you in the bollocks :lol:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Did I ever tell you about my Pete Townsend story from when I was a baby?

This is your version of Carl Froches 'in front of 80,000 people at Wembley' innit? :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

He's a proper hardnut y'know.  Used to knock Townshend and Moon about a bit back in the day.  A lot of the old boys are pro Brexit.  Michael Caine is another one.  All my heroes are Brexiteers for some reason :lol:

Well remainers have Elton John and Gary Lineker?

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is Beefy Botham a Brexiteer? I'd bet anything on Beefy being a leaver.

4 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Is Beefy Botham a Brexiteer? I'd bet anything on Beefy being a leaver.

Yes - very much so.

nintchdbpict000240048660.jpg

That is Chester-le-Street cricket club, just down the road from the Riverside stadium. Spend a lot of time there.

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/boris-johnsons-brexit-battle-bus-11404801

I wasn't there that day. Wish I was. Could have got a scorecard signed by Beefy and the (future) Prime Minister.

Sir+Ian+Botham+Ian+Botham+Joins+Boris+Jo

I read the entire article and watched the whole video thinking they were gonna talk about the beer :lol: My Brexit interest wains when theres no Priti, Stilton or beer involved. :lol:

Sorry you missed out on the autograph, though. A man named "Beefy" really is a rarity!

Interesting. You would have thought Jeremy Clarkson was a Brexiteer, wouldn't you, but he is an ardent remainer? He comes across almost a stereotype of a Brexiteer, obsessed with ''the war'', making jokes about the Frogs and Huns; basically a jeans wearing middle/old aged grumpy old git. But nope. He is a remainer. 

For more information on celebrity Brexit allegiances: https://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/a797019/celebrity-brexit-which-famouses-are-voting-to-leave-and-who-wants-us-to-stay/

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Interesting. You would have thought Jeremy Clarkson was a Brexiteer, wouldn't you, but he is an ardent remainer? He comes across almost a stereotype of a Brexiteer, obsessed with ''the war'', making jokes about the Frogs and Huns; basically a jeans wearing middle/old aged grumpy old git. But nope. He is a remainer. 

For more information on celebrity Brexit allegiances: https://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/a797019/celebrity-brexit-which-famouses-are-voting-to-leave-and-who-wants-us-to-stay/

Clarkson is an absolute cunt.  He's top 5 of the worst living Britons in public life, ones that I can't fuckin' stomach.  Another example is Piers Morgan. 

Elton John reminds me of my big toe.  Sort of small and pale with a few little hairs growing out of the top.

• Haha 1

Seems like the celebrities want out because they don't want as many immigrants, because they believe they will be better off economically, and because they think the EU is not democratic enough :lol: