inthisriver

General Chat / Random Musings

8 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Next Sunday will be 2 months Sober fuck that feels good.

Along with landing the new job life is looking up 

Well done!! A whole new era of life.

ive cut way back on weed ... not the same as abstaining from drink, but still, people like yourself are inspiring. 

51 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bugger that. 1950s easily wins.

70s fashion was fuckin' horrible.  Long hair but neat long hair, jeans up to your stomach, wide collars, flares, even home decor was fuckin' disgusting, all dark oranges and browns and shit.  It was basically 60s fashion with all the daring aspects removed. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

70s fashion was fuckin' horrible.  Long hair but neat long hair, jeans up to your stomach, wide collars, flares, even home decor was fuckin' disgusting, all dark oranges and browns and shit.  It was basically 60s fashion with all the daring aspects removed. 

The best thing to be said about the 1970s was that it was much better than the 1980s. The '80s was truly awful. Rancid aids ridden decade full of discarded needles, bad mullets and bad music.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The best thing to be said about the 1970s was that it was much better than the 1980s. The '80s was truly awful. Rancid aids ridden decade full of discarded needles, bad mullets and bad music.

kPeYt31h.jpg

The 80's seems to have had its charms 

(I love my neighbourhood! lol)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

the 70s had punk and the 80s had hip hop, their saving grace in terms of fashion and style. 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

the 70s had punk and the 80s had hip hop, their saving grace in terms of fashion and style. 

'70s had the early '70s and Neil Young was producing good music throughout. I don't mind '70s really. I love the Blaxploitation stuff and it was the era when my two favourite sports had great ages, heavyweights and in cricket the era of fast bowling and allrounders - all hairbugger beer drinkers. I would have loved to have been a cricketer in the '70s. Payed peanuts compared to today but far more enjoyable. 

But '80s was utter wank. Aidsy wank at that. 

1/ 1950s

2/ Anytime before the '50s

3/ '60s

4/ '70s

5/ '90s

6/ '80s

7/ Anytime after the '90s (it is all one big fudge without any discernible music or fashion; just a load of snowflakes addicted to phones really).

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

'70s had the early '70s and Neil Young was producing good music throughout. I don't mind '70s really. I love the Blaxploitation stuff and it was the era when my two favourite sports had great ages, heavyweights and in cricket the era of fast bowling and allrounders - all hairbugger beer drinkers. I would have loved to have been a cricketer in the '70s. Payed peanuts compared to today but far more enjoyable. 

But '80s was utter wank. Aidsy wank at that. 

AIDSY wank is the worst kind of wank. The 80’s were great however. 

Edited by Dazey

Just now, Dazey said:

AIDSY wank is the worst kind of wank. The 80’s were great however. 

I always think of the '80s as being unbelievably scummy, AIDS and heroin, and full of corporate greed. It probably was no more scummier than the 1970s really, and probably not a great deal more money obsessed, but that is the impression. Cricket was good in the 1980s also mind. Unbelievably boozy. Test tours were basically a gigantic stag do. West Indies in their pomp. In fact I'd rank cricket in the 1980s marginally ahead of cricket in the 1990s.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I always think of the '80s as being unbelievably scummy, AIDS and heroin, and full of corporate greed. It probably was no more scummier than the 1970s really, and probably not a great deal more money obsessed, but that is the impression. Cricket was good in the 1980s also mind. Unbelievably boozy. Test tours were basically a gigantic stag do. West Indies in their pomp. In fact I'd rank cricket in the 1980s marginally ahead of cricket in the 1990s.

Also lots of awesome movies. :D 

14 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Starring Jean Claude Van Damn as Rambo!

LdLGXufh.jpg

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dazey said:

A few great ones but I suspect the ones I like are not the ones you like haha. I do like Blade Runner and Das Boot. Raging Bull, released 1980, technically qualifies for inclusion I suppose. Finale hurrah of Kurosawa with the two epic (colour) Samurai films also, Kagemusha and Ran

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

A few great ones but I suspect the ones I like are not the ones you like haha. I do like Blade Runner and Das Boot. Raging Bull, released 1980, technically qualifies for inclusion I suppose. Finale hurrah of Kurosawa with the two epic (colour) Samurai films also, Kagemusha and Ran

The best thing about the 80’s is that it was the heyday of home video rental. I used to love going to the video shop and picking up a load of absolute shite with nothing more to advise choice than the front cover and whatever drivel was written on the back of the box. :lol: 

• Like 4

Just now, Dazey said:

The best thing about the 80’s is that it was the heyday of home video rental. I used to love going to the video shop and picking up a load of absolute shite with nothing more to advise choice than the front cover and whatever drivel was written on the back of the box. :lol: 

Having exhausted the magna opera of a Stallone or a Van Damme? 

Admittedly I did like this aspect myself, those VHS boxes which were much bigger than what you bought in-store and they always stunk of smoke as the women working in my video store were on 40-a-day (yes, they smoked in the actual shop millennials). Used to explore everything from dubbed pan-and-scanned Jackie Chans (really where I first developed a love for Asian cinema), to censored video nasties, Evil Dead with all the best bits removed etc.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Evil Dead with all the best bits removed etc.

Why were the best bits removed? is that cause you were British in the 80's? I don't get it.

The 80s had great music, not so much what was in the charts obviously, but there were so many great post-punk and alternative bands coming up in that decade.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

The 80s had great music, not so much what was in the charts obviously, but there were so many great post-punk and alternative bands coming up in that decade.

:thumbsup: 

14 minutes ago, Dazey said:

:thumbsup: 

Thing about the 80s musically was the mainstream were so bad but some serious class was bubbling away beneath the surface.  The Smiths, The Roses, Happy Mondays, all of whom basically ended up mainstream, then America you had like The Butthole Surfers, Scratch Acid, lots of weirdness coming out of the east coast too, Hardcore punk, there was a shitload going on cuz you had a bunch of groups that were resigned to the fact that their kind of music would never make it big...nut that kinda freed em to make whatever kinda music with no constraints...hence you have like Sonic Youth or James Chance and the Contortions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

even home decor was fuckin' disgusting, all dark oranges and browns and shit

Don't forget avocado bathrooms:

Edited by Amir
  • Haha 1

The flat I lived in five years ago had an avocado bathroom and a pink loo. 

I'd be interested in creating some infographics on how many coloured bathroom suites are still installed in the UK. But it's not the kind of thing anyone collects data on, is it? 

Edited by Gracii Guns