inthisriver

General Chat / Random Musings

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Nah, I ain't never been, I might've mentioned I was going, perhaps you're confusing that.  Its my first proper trip abroad actually, aside from Kashmir with family and lets face it, thats more like a fuckin' pennance :lol: 

If you're anywhere near Notre Dame you NEED to go to The Lizard Lounge for a burger! I know that this sounds like a piss take but I'm only partly mentioning it to annoy Dies' and the burgers are properly amazing! :lol: 

https://www.timeout.com/paris/en/bars-and-pubs/lizard-lounge

lizard-lounge-nos-specialites-f6351.jpg

• Like 1

I hope your cousin is okay! And that your family wasn't too impacted otherwise? Thats terrible. As if living next to that volatile and sad situation werent enough. I am happy to learn that your family lives out of harms way from the civil unrest at least. I didnt realize it was so escalated so in hindsight my wording was rather trite.

She's alright yeah, apparently everything just went fuckin' mad and they told them, for some reason, to get on the floor in the duck and cover...on the 3rd floor, thank God the fuckin' building didn't collapse on em, the daft bastards.  They're outta harms way but like, where we're from its like...out in the hills?  Valleys and hills and shit, so the government kinda go in, clear out the village and set up anti-aircraft shit as tensions escalate so they're right in the firing line if shit kicks off.  I guess they're good vantage points, high up and all that.

As a by-product I finally understand how you call your self a P@ki when you are from Kashmir :lol: forgive my ignorance. I wish your family peace, health and safety.

Its sort of an all purpose term here in England for brown skin :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

She's alright yeah, apparently everything just went fuckin' mad and they told them, for some reason, to get on the floor in the duck and cover...on the 3rd floor, thank God the fuckin' building didn't collapse on em, the daft bastards.  They're outta harms way but like, where we're from its like...out in the hills?  Valleys and hills and shit, so the government kinda go in, clear out the village and set up anti-aircraft shit as tensions escalate so they're right in the firing line if shit kicks off.  I guess they're good vantage points, high up and all that.

Will keep them in my prayers and actions. Thats horrible.

Yeah, duck and cover on the 3rd floor :facepalm: She must be some sort of action hero to survive all that - greetings from mygnrforum to her!

9 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its sort of an all purpose term here in England for brown skin :lol:

England is so weird sometimes! :lol: Glad youre getting out of there for a bit! :lol:

30 minutes ago, Dazey said:

If you're anywhere near Notre Dame you NEED to go to The Lizard Lounge for a burger! I know that this sounds like a piss take but I'm only partly mentioning it to annoy Dies' and the burgers are properly amazing! :lol: 

https://www.timeout.com/paris/en/bars-and-pubs/lizard-lounge

lizard-lounge-nos-specialites-f6351.jpg

Can vouch for this pro tip I visited based on @Dazey 's recommendation and it did not disappoint 

23 minutes ago, soon said:

Will keep them in my prayers and actions. Thats horrible.

Yeah, duck and cover on the 3rd floor :facepalm: She must be some sort of action hero to survive all that - greetings from mygnrforum to her!

England is so weird sometimes! :lol: Glad youre getting out of there for a bit! :lol:

It makes perfect sense if you think about it, I mean who wants to go about seperating your Sri Lankans from your Indians and your Bangladeshis and your Pakistanis, racist ain’t for time for that shit :lol:  Just call em pakis, streamline things a bit.  

• Haha 1

So one of the girls at work is doing a sponsored walk to raise money for sufferers of dementia. Without thinking I asked if it started at home and ended up in a strangers living room and now I'm the bad guy apparently. :lol: 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Well this is a bit of a fuckin' choker, goin' to Paris this weekend and apparently tickets to the Eiffel Tower are sold out.  Bollocks, I wanted to go to the top.  And apparently its like impossible to just show up and get tickets. 

It isn't that great really. We went as kids and were flinging cents from it. 

Visit this instead,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Invalides

• Like 1

Got lost in enjoying a prosciutto roll topped with thyme. Just gazing blankly as I eat... apparently inadvertently starting at a shorties butt. She scoffs and breaks my trance.

“It’s not you, it’s the ham roll” did nothing to remedy the situation, if you can believe it?!? :facepalm::lol:

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Right, thats goin' on the list!  I'm just gonna fuckin' go everywhere. 

You're going to the Louvre and other museums, right?

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

You're going to the Louvre and other museums, right?

Thing is, I don't really know fuck all except Eiffel Tower, Arch De Triumph etc etc....and half of them its like I've heard the name but I dunno what they are or represent.  So I figure I'm just gonna tear through as much as I can, Picasso museum and fuckin'...I dunno, wherever the pubs are, anywhere and everywhere.  Don't speak any fuckin' french though so ordering a pint might be a bit of bother but fuck it, can't be that difficult, seen enough Truffaut movies, 'Bonjour, un pint sil vous plait', it'll be a doddle :lol: 

• GNFNR 1

You don't need to speak French to get around in Paris, English will do just fine.

Just now, EvanG said:

You don't need to speak French to get around in Paris, English will do just fine.

Really? Aww.  Thats a bit of a let down.  Everyone speaks English?  So it’ll just be like England?  I was looking forward to watching all these fuckin’ french geezers talkin’ french.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thing is, I don't really know fuck all except Eiffel Tower, Arch De Triumph etc etc....and half of them its like I've heard the name but I dunno what they are or represent.  So I figure I'm just gonna tear through as much as I can, Picasso museum and fuckin'...I dunno, wherever the pubs are, anywhere and everywhere.  Don't speak any fuckin' french though so ordering a pint might be a bit of bother but fuck it, can't be that difficult, seen enough Truffaut movies, 'Bonjour, un pint sil vous plait', it'll be a doddle :lol: 

The Picasso museum will be cool. Hope you have a nice safe trip mate. Kind of want a burger from The Lizard Lounge now tbh. The history of places like Paris etc is kind of extraordinary.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Really? Aww.  Thats a bit of a let down.  Everyone speaks English?  So it’ll just be like England?  I was looking forward to watching all these fuckin’ french geezers talkin’ french.

Not everyone, and some can speak it but refuse to (god bless them), but at most places they will understand you and you won't have any trouble.

So many Francophones refuse to speak english here, even though they are fluent. Even in the service industry! Fourrer le chien I tell them, fourrer le chien!! 

1 minute ago, soon said:

So many Francophones refuse to speak english here, even though they are fluent. Even in the service industry! Fourrer le chien I tell them, fourrer le chien!! 

Kinda like in Brussels, city with two official languages, French and Dutch, and at some pubs they refuse to speak Dutch. Gotta love those French speaking bastards.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Arc de Triumph was built by Napoleon in 1806 to celebrate his military victories; you can I think go inside but you have to cross that crazy roundabout. I wouldn't bother if you value your life. You'll see Napoleon's tomb if you visit Invalides. I know you like a touch of history and you'll see one of the best military museums in the world if you visit that building. I was in my element there.

Louvre, yes. Go early and avoid the tourists.

You are out of luck if you want to visit Notre Dame though haha. That is normally free to get in. I just walked in. But you can look at what is left of it at least from the outside. I think the facade was relatively unaffected by fire.

PS

Don't forget that buildings like Las Invalides and Louvre are historic buildings in themselves. Like London, a lot of the history is simply all around you. Invalides is basically the French equivalent of our Chelsea Pensioners. It was built in the 1670s by Louis XIV to house French veterans. It still does. Louvre was a royal palace stretching back centuries. 

You'll see the Place de la Concorde,

1024px-Place_de_la_Concorde_from_the_Eif

that is where the executions occurred during the Reign of Terror, 1793-4. Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette were guillotined here.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

A

Arc de Triumph was built by Napoleon in 1806 to celebrate his military victories; you can I think go inside but you have to cross that crazy roundabout. I wouldn't bother if you value your life. You'll see Napoleon's tomb if you visit Invalides. I know you like a touch of history and you'll see one of the best military museums in the world if you visit that building. I was in my element there.

Louvre, yes. Go early and avoid the tourists.

You are out of luck if you want to visit Notre Dame though haha. That is normally free to get in. I just walked in. But you can look at what is left of it at least from the outside. I think the facade was relatively unaffected by fire.

You can climb on the Arc de Triomphe and I loved the views from there on the different boulevards.

When I was last in Paris, there was a line of about 100 metres to get into Notre Dame, so I just watched the façade too. Shame.

2 minutes ago, Lio said:

You can climb on the Arc de Triomphe and I loved the views from there on the different boulevards.

When I was last in Paris, there was a line of about 100 metres to get into Notre Dame, so I just watched the façade too. Shame.

I didn't queue up at all. Just walked in. I must have been early. 

This is where the Bastille was, the Place de la Bastille,

300px-Place_Bastille_20040914_B.jpg

Nothing left of it now as it was thoroughly dismantled during the Revolution. Little miniature Bastilles were made from the stones and transported around the country.

Watch this for inspiration before you go. Kenny Hotz has sworn never to go back to Paris after being insulted by a waiter when he was there as a backpacker, but twenty years later he decides to go back to see if the French are still as rude as he remembers.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Right, thats goin' on the list!  I'm just gonna fuckin' go everywhere. 

Oh, you should rewatch Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain before you go. (Assuming you've already seen it.) If you like crème brûlée, you should also go eat that in Les Deux Moulins.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I didn't queue up at all. Just walked in. I must have been early. 

I was early at the Eiffel Tower. Can't get early everywhere :lol:

11 minutes ago, Lio said:

Oh, you should rewatch Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain before you go. (Assuming you've already seen it.) If you like crème brûlée, you should also go eat that in Les Deux Moulins.

I was early at the Eiffel Tower. Can't get early everywhere :lol:

I’ve seen the film Amelie?

Just now, Len Cnut said:

I’ve seen the film Amelie?

Yeah, that's it. Well, maybe eating crème brûlée isn't such a manly thing to do. Maybe you should visit Moulin Rouge afterwards to balance it out :lol: