Jump to content
inthisriver

General Chat / Random Musings

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Looks like someone took half the chocolate of a chocolate peppermint 

Ha! You know, it really does. Cant see it any other way know that you've pointed that out. :lol:

Peppermint patties are far and away my favourite sweet, too. I garden you know, and peppermint was one of the first things I grew because I wanted to make peppermint patties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, soon said:

Ha! You know, it really does. Cant see it any other way know that you've pointed that out. :lol:

Peppermint patties are far and away my favourite sweet, too. I garden you know, and peppermint was one of the first things I grew because I wanted to make peppermint patties.

If you ever want to post me out some .. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, soon said:

Ha! You know, it really does. Cant see it any other way know that you've pointed that out. :lol:

Peppermint patties are far and away my favourite sweet, too. I garden you know, and peppermint was one of the first things I grew because I wanted to make peppermint patties.

I've heard of so many American things and Americanisms through like, a bombardment of yank culture but a lot of it I don't (or didn't) know what it was.  York (or is it Yorke?) peppermint patties is one of those.  First heard of em in either an Eddie Murphy routine about Larry Holmes or a track by Ghostface Killah 'york peppermint patties, slum my Peter Paul wrangler, straight laced the track when it sag with one banger, interlude loop caused me to hang up'.  I assumed they were a sweet of some kind though the word patties throws you off cuz a patty, as far as I've ever known, is a sort of Jamaican cornish pasty :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I've heard of so many American things and Americanisms through like, a bombardment of yank culture but a lot of it I don't (or didn't) know what it was.  York (or is it Yorke?) peppermint patties is one of those.  First heard of em in either an Eddie Murphy routine about Larry Holmes or a track by Ghostface Killah 'york peppermint patties, slum my Peter Paul wrangler, straight laced the track when it sag with one banger, interlude loop caused me to hang up'.  I assumed they were a sweet of some kind though the word patties throws you off cuz a patty, as far as I've ever known, is a sort of Jamaican cornish pasty :lol:

We get them in the UK bruv Fry's do them ...

 

 

Frys Peppermint Cream Bars x 6

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lukepowell1988 said:

We get them in the UK bruv Fry's do them ...

 

 

Frys Peppermint Cream Bars x 6

Ohhhhh, its a peppermint cream!  Got'cha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

If you ever want to post me out some .. 

As you like it, good sir.

 

Nothing beats dark chocolate and peppermint :drool: I really should make a batch...

 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I've heard of so many American things and Americanisms through like, a bombardment of yank culture but a lot of it I don't (or didn't) know what it was.  York (or is it Yorke?) peppermint patties is one of those.  First heard of em in either an Eddie Murphy routine about Larry Holmes or a track by Ghostface Killah 'york peppermint patties, slum my Peter Paul wrangler, straight laced the track when it sag with one banger, interlude loop caused me to hang up'.  I assumed they were a sweet of some kind though the word patties throws you off cuz a patty, as far as I've ever known, is a sort of Jamaican cornish pasty :lol:

I must admit that I cannot make heads nor tail of that Ghostface line. :lol: I love Jaimacan patties! The spicer the better, on the cheap at bodegas and bakerys in my hood. You know I never thought about them being related to a Cornish Pasty - cool. We say "hamburger patties" here too. The cultural reference that came to my mind is Peppermint Patty from Charlie Brown/Peanuts.

oejvEDY.png

Those York look like this. I swear that they arent as trendy currently, but its definitely a perennial classic. I think the filling might be slightly different that the Frys that @lukepowell1988 posted just now? This filling is soft but keeps its shape and you can bite into it, its not like a cream that would ooze out. Maybe just different words for the same thing though?

dqY4xKHh.jpg

And theres a fancier version, After Eights, which has flatter, square patties. I think they are most popular for this bougie tube shaped ones

TayzUxvh.jpg

Edited by soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, janrichmond said:

image.png.96a80280503efd3731f242e79d5c4806.png @soon I want these for christmas please, we only have the square ones

They make sticks???!!! What?! I have also only ever seen the squares. Omg. YUM.

  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember as a kid visiting An old aunt or something and getting a chocolate. I will never forget the awful taste expecting nice milk chocolate and getting mint. After Eight 🤢

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh god how i hated when all the Samoa cookies got ate and all that was left was nasty ass Thin Mints :thumbsdown:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, janrichmond said:

image.png.96a80280503efd3731f242e79d5c4806.png @soon I want these for christmas please, we only have the square ones

They dont even have these at Waitrose (whatever that is :lol:)?

Sure, and I will include some maple syrup for good measure :) 

6 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Oh god how i hated when all the Samoa cookies got ate and all that was left was nasty ass Thin Mints :thumbsdown:

What are Samoa cookies, I never heard of those?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, soon said:

What are Samoa cookies, I never heard of those?

Crisp cookies with caramel, coconut, and dark chocolaty stripes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -W.A.R- said:

Crisp cookies with caramel, coconut, and dark chocolaty stripes.

Nice. I dont know if they are flat, medium like a chips ahoy, or thicker with a round top. But if they're thicker that is a lot like the christmas cookies that I grew up with. Ive spent much of my life 'mennonite adjacent' and they are an industrious people. If you are their friend, then you will buy their christmas cookies, lol. Samoa sounds identical as long as the caramel is apple based. Good memories :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Half a GT and all is bliss. 

Poof! :P:lol: 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Half a GT and all is bliss. 

Fuckin’ menopause cure, what you drinking that shite for? :lol: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Fuckin’ menopause cure, what you drinking that shite for? :lol: 

Is it really?

*adds gin to the shopping list

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What!? :lol: I had no idea a simple GT - a drink that saved the Brits in Africa - would come with so much derision in 2019. I drink it maybe five times a year and tonight it was especially nice.......... Still is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×