Jump to content
inthisriver

General Chat / Random Musings

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

I still have no idea why porn used to end up in bushes and woods back in the day. :lol: 

*deletes link* :lol:

Suggest you do too. :lol: 

We used to find bags upon bags of porn was like winning the lottery.

All hairy chuffs and such 80's early 90's sort of shit.

 

Found a box of Granny porn once too I guess someone got so disgusted with themselves post wank and decided it had to go

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I still have no idea why porn used to end up in bushes and woods back in the day. :lol: 

 

over time I was amassing quite the collection back in the day. I didn't know where I had to keep hiding it from my mom, coupled with the fact that I've, let's say, got bored with most of the material, it felt like I needed to ditch it somehow. But throwing it in the trash was no option, cos my mom would certainly find it. Burning it creates smoke, and where's smoke there's fire as they say. So I effectively put all that stuff in my backpack, I drove to a deserted land where there wasn't a person to see for miles around, I threw over some fence and ran away like the devil was on my heels, feeling relieved I got rid of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dazey said:

When I see anything from that era I have no feeling of nostalgia whatsoever. The 90's was such a non entity for me. The 80's is where it's at for my nostalgia feels. Best movies, best music, best drugs etc etc. :lol: 

That show I watched is about a bunch of high school kids in 1996 and I went to high school in the second half of the 90's too, so the music they play and clothes they wear are recognisable. Baggy pants, flannel shirts, shaggy haircuts, girls having bangs, bad europop music. In one scene they dail up to use the internet and then have to wait thirty seconds for the page to load... I mean, that's 90's nostalgia for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, action said:

so many things. for one thing, they put aspertame in fucking everything these days. only coke (the soft drink) seems to be spared but stuff like sprite and ice tea all substitute sugar with aspartame.

music videos on MTV, beavis and butthead, mike tyson, real arnold action movies, local drugstores (they're all disappearing), I miss wired telephones, old fashioned computers with diskettes, cassette players, VHS recorders so I can decide myself what I want to record and so on, so on. Come to think of it, so many liberties are quitely taken away from us. The ability to record programs, the ability to listen to music on a portable device, the ability to play a video game without an online connection, and most of all, the one thing that I really miss: the ability to stay rather unnoticed and anonymus, where everyone is dragging a goddamn camera along. You can't even make a proper scene in, say, a restaurant anymore without being filmed. Everyone has become so fucking lifeless and stale as a result.  

I'm not a big one for nostalgia myself.  I remember the 90s and, personally speaking, they weren't all that.  I mean at the time they didn't feel all that.  i like a lot of the stuff you mentioned, Beavis and Butthead, Mike Tyson, Arnie but overall mostly what I remember from the 90s is being bored as fuck.  I left school in about 99 so I was pretty much a kid throughout the 90s and teenagers do tend to have a 'everything is shit' sort of outlook but...I dunno, I can't remember so much about the 90s that was that amazing.  I think its more like a 'with the benefit of hindsight' thing, all this harking back to the past.  So much was so less accessible then, thats what I remember about it primarily.  Not that now is some amazing fuckin' time mind you.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

I remember that!  My mate had that!  See this is one thing about the 90s I miss, you could have something like that and not find yourself up on charges of terrorism, you could just be you and your mate wanting to go make a big noise somewhere in the woods :lol:  Not that we ever did that shit, way too lazy and stupid to be bothered, it was more just like...owning something illicit.  I remember him printing the fucker out for me, I couldn't even be bothered to read it, I remember something about like...cutting sections out of large books to stash shit in and telephone bombs and all that cobblers.  Someone of my racial background getting found with something like that now would probably end up doing porridge :lol:

1 hour ago, lukepowell1988 said:

We used to find bags upon bags of porn was like winning the lottery.

All hairy chuffs and such 80's early 90's sort of shit.

 

Found a box of Granny porn once too I guess someone got so disgusted with themselves post wank and decided it had to go

i used to nick pornos out of shops.  In a really unsophisticated way too, just walk there, grab it and run like fuck :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm not a big one for nostalgia myself.  I remember the 90s and, personally speaking, they weren't all that.  I mean at the time they didn't feel all that.  i like a lot of the stuff you mentioned, Beavis and Butthead, Mike Tyson, Arnie but overall mostly what I remember from the 90s is being bored as fuck.  I left school in about 99 so I was pretty much a kid throughout the 90s and teenagers do tend to have a 'everything is shit' sort of outlook but...I dunno, I can't remember so much about the 90s that was that amazing.  I think its more like a 'with the benefit of hindsight' thing, all this harking back to the past.  So much was so less accessible then, thats what I remember about it primarily.  Not that now is some amazing fuckin' time mind you.

I remember that!  My mate had that!  See this is one thing about the 90s I miss, you could have something like that and not find yourself up on charges of terrorism, you could just be you and your mate wanting to go make a big noise somewhere in the woods :lol:  Not that we ever did that shit, way too lazy and stupid to be bothered, it was more just like...owning something illicit.  I remember him printing the fucker out for me, I couldn't even be bothered to read it, I remember something about like...cutting sections out of large books to stash shit in and telephone bombs and all that cobblers.  Someone of my racial background getting found with something like that now would probably end up doing porridge :lol:

i used to nick pornos out of shops.  In a really unsophisticated way too, just walk there, grab it and run like fuck :lol:

i'm only 5ft 4 I would never be able to reach the top shelf.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That show I watched is about a bunch of high school kids in 1996 and I went to high school in the second half of the 90's too, so the music they play and clothes they wear are recognisable. Baggy pants, flannel shirts, shaggy haircuts, girls having bangs, bad europop music. In one scene they dail up to use the internet and then have to wait thirty seconds for the page to load... I mean, that's 90's nostalgia for you.

I remember sitting in the hallway at midnight under the stairs at my parents' where the computer was, just waiting for a pixellated porno image to draw down the screen one line at a time. :lol: Would take like two minutes while I'm keeping watch and listening for anybody waking up so I could have a quick 30 second stealth wank without getting caught. :lol: 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lukepowell1988 said:

i'm only 5ft 4 I would never be able to reach the top shelf.

My brother used to buy The Daily Sport back in secondary school days.  And read it too :lol:  Read it like it was an actual paper :lol:

Just now, Dazey said:

I remember sitting in the hallway at midnight under the stairs at my parents' where the computer was, just waiting for a pixellated porno image to draw down the screen one line at a time. :lol: Would take like two minutes while I'm keeping watch and listening for anybody waking up so I could have a quick 30 second stealth wank without getting caught. :lol: 

Why the fuck was the computer under the stairs?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That show I watched is about a bunch of high school kids in 1996 and I went to high school in the second half of the 90's too, so the music they play and clothes they wear are recognisable. Baggy pants, flannel shirts, shaggy haircuts, girls having bangs, bad europop music. In one scene they dail up to use the internet and then have to wait thirty seconds for the page to load... I mean, that's 90's nostalgia for you.

I think we're probably about the same age then. I was 15 in 1995. I just have fonder memories of stuff from the 80's than the 90's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

My brother used to buy The Daily Sport back in secondary school days.  And read it too :lol:  Read it like it was an actual paper :lol:

I'm sure I've told you this before but back in the day (early 90's) my cousin and I used to pretty much live at our gran's house. She was getting on a bit and her eyesight was going but she'd still get out and about to do her shopping at Marks and Sparks and get the papers and wotnot. Anyway, our Tim was really into football, cricket and all that Whereas I wasn’t really arsed so one day she gets back from town and goes “ooh our Tim, I’ve picked up a nice paper from the shop for you. It’s all about Sport it says so you’ll like that.”

So he liked Sport and I wasn’t a fan but we were both big fans of tits so we didn’t bother to correct the poor old dear. Anyway, ended up that she carried on buying it for us every day for the better part of a year. I mean I had a stack of ‘em about 12 inches thick under the bed. :lol:

It all came to an end when my mum took her shopping and asked “Mother, why the hell are you buying that filth?” “Oooh, it’s for Chris and Tim. It’s all about Sport y’know?” :lol:

So Mother came back to the house and leathered the two of up and down the living room for about half an hour and that was the end of our Daily Sport reading days. :lol:

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Why the fuck was the computer under the stairs?!

There wasn't a cupboard under the stairs, it was just like a recess where you could fit a desk and some shelves and wotnot. Just made the most sense to put it there rather than in the living room or dining room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm not a big one for nostalgia myself.  I remember the 90s and, personally speaking, they weren't all that.  I mean at the time they didn't feel all that.  i like a lot of the stuff you mentioned, Beavis and Butthead, Mike Tyson, Arnie but overall mostly what I remember from the 90s is being bored as fuck.  I left school in about 99 so I was pretty much a kid throughout the 90s and teenagers do tend to have a 'everything is shit' sort of outlook but...I dunno, I can't remember so much about the 90s that was that amazing.  I think its more like a 'with the benefit of hindsight' thing, all this harking back to the past.  So much was so less accessible then, thats what I remember about it primarily.  Not that now is some amazing fuckin' time mind you.

 

that's interesting, we graduaded in the same year. So you were roughly of the same age as me when we experienced the 90s.

maybe it was because I led a protected life at home, but to me everything about the 90s seemed grand and awe-inspiring. rock bands seemed so much more epic overall. the chili peppers, soundgarden, nirvana, ... they were everywhere and they seemed like superheroes to me. the atmosphere was so badass overall. even rappers were cool back then, and I was never into rap.

it's curious, how the "glasses you wear" can alter your view on the world so much.

today, nothing ever seems to impress me that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I think we're probably about the same age then. I was 15 in 1995. I just have fonder memories of stuff from the 80's than the 90's.

I'm a couple of years younger but from the 80's I only remember kids' stuff and then you don't really pay attention to pop culture or what is special about that era. In the early 90's I got into rock music and starting noticing what was going on in pop culture. At the time it's nothing special because that's all you know, but looking back on it now... the music of that decade shaped me and I'm glad I was a kid before mobile phones and internet took over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I'm a couple of years younger but from the 80's I only remember kids' stuff and then you don't really pay attention to pop culture or what is special about that era. In the early 90's I got into rock music and starting noticing what was going on in pop culture. At the time it's nothing special because that's all you know, but looking back on it now... the music of that decade shaped me and I'm glad I was a kid before mobile phones and internet took over.

I'm glad that I was a 20 something before mobile phones with cameras were available. :lol: 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I'm sure I've told you this before but back in the day (early 90's) my cousin and I used to pretty much live at our gran's house. She was getting on a bit and her eyesight was going but she'd still get out and about to do her shopping at Marks and Sparks and get the papers and wotnot. Anyway, our Tim was really into football, cricket and all that Whereas I wasn’t really arsed so one day she gets back from town and goes “ooh our Tim, I’ve picked up a nice paper from the shop for you. It’s all about Sport it says so you’ll like that.”

So he liked Sport and I wasn’t a fan but we were both big fans of tits so we didn’t bother to correct the poor old dear. Anyway, ended up that she carried on buying it for us every day for the better part of a year. I mean I had a stack of ‘em about 12 inches thick under the bed. :lol:

It all came to an end when my mum took her shopping and asked “Mother, why the hell are you buying that filth?” “Oooh, it’s for Chris and Tim. It’s all about Sport y’know?” :lol:

So Mother came back to the house and leathered the two of up and down the living room for about half an hour and that was the end of our Daily Sport reading days. :lol:

 

 

makes me think about that time I watched "the leprechaun" with my brother, and the vilain was just about to saw a naked women in two, you know like in those creepy circus magic acts. so this dwarf is cutting that girl in two, blood everywhere, and my grandmother walks by, and she thinks we're just watching a circus act, not know it's a horror movie and she doesn't notice theres blood and screaming everywhere, she just goes "oh, that's a funny gnome doing magic tricks there, hehe".

grandmothers are cool, aren't they?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, action said:

that's interesting, we graduaded in the same year. So you were roughly of the same age as me when we experienced the 90s.

maybe it was because I led a protected life at home, but to me everything about the 90s seemed grand and awe-inspiring. rock bands seemed so much more epic overall. the chili peppers, soundgarden, nirvana, ... they were everywhere and they seemed like superheroes to me. the atmosphere was so badass overall. even rappers were cool back then, and I was never into rap.

it's curious, how the "glasses you wear" can alter your view on the world so much.

today, nothing ever seems to impress me that much.

I suppose at the time it seemed grand and somewhat awe-inspiring, on some level, like rock stars etc seemed like people from another planet, yeah, I can get that...but the time that has since passed sort of showed all that up for me.  It seems more like its your own innocence that you miss more than anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I suppose at the time it seemed grand and somewhat awe-inspiring, on some level, like rock stars etc seemed like people from another planet, yeah, I can get that...but the time that has since passed sort of showed all that up for me.  It seems more like its your own innocence that you miss more than anything. 

these days, my goal is to reach that feeling of innocence and even naivity I had back then. it's a bit like being drunk, without being drunk if you know what I mean? there are moments, they are very rare, when I can reach that stage and I don't know what triggers it, but I can experience some kind of smell and it instantly brings me back to those days.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, action said:

today, nothing ever seems to impress me that much.

I have the same but I think that's normal once you're not a kid anymore. On the other hand, when I was a kid and I wanted to watch a GnR show, I had to go to my friend because he had a couple of concerts on VHS. Now I go to youtube and I can see any show I want immediately, or if I want to watch any movie ever made, I can download or stream it immediately, same with music. You don't even need a vhs recorder recorder anymore because you can watch any show you missed through your set-top box. If you had told me that this is how the future would look like when I was a kid, I probably wouldn't have believed you.

Edited by EvanG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I have the same but I think that's normal once you're not a kid anymore. When I was a kid and I wanted to watch a GnR show, I had to go to my friend because he had a couple of concerts on VHS. Now I go to youtube and I can see any show I want immediately, or if I want to watch any movie ever made, I can download or stream it immediately, same with music. You don't even need a vhs recorder recorder anymore because you can watch any show you missed through your set-top box. If you had told me that this is how the future would look like when I was a kid, I probably wouldn't have believed you.

well..... I don't know about that one :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, not so much with GnR anymore, but the fact you can listen to almost everything within a minute while thirty years ago you had to go out and buy it or wait for it to come out, is pretty astonishing to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, action said:

these days, my goal is to reach that feeling of innocence and even naivity I had back then. it's a bit like being drunk, without being drunk if you know what I mean? there are moments, they are very rare, when I can reach that stage and I don't know what triggers it, but I can experience some kind of smell and it instantly brings me back to those days.

 

I say fuck it man, push on.  There  will probably be a day when you look back on these days and this age with a certain fondness, its all just part of the pattern.  Who wants to be innocent anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1990s was lad culture, Loaded, lager cans, yobbery, Men Behaving Badly, Laddites, Brit Pop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The 1990s was lad culture, Loaded, lager cans, yobbery, Men Behaving Badly, Laddites, Brit Pop. 

Every decade before that was lad culture too :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Every decade before that was lad culture too :lol:

Not really. There were lads but not lads culture, discarded kebabs, vomit and Oasis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The white rock bands from the '70s onwards bore me senseless. It is all a load of cack really. I'd rather listen to Elmore James and Big Mama Thornton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

The white rock bands from the '70s onwards bore me senseless. It is all a load of cack really. I'd rather listen to Elmore James and Big Mama Thornton.

Perhaps the value in those white rock bands was in leading you to Elmore James.

 

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Not really. There were lads but not lads culture, discarded kebabs, vomit and Oasis. 

Was the 80s any less laddish?  Or the 70s?  Lad culture in the 90s just seemed like a desperate attempt to recreate that of days gone by, only with a pussified touch bought on by the popularity of exstacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×