inthisriver

General Chat / Random Musings

4 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

Its a fucking weird language  when theres no direct translation you can just make something up that basically describes the thing. Cappucinno doesn't have a translation so it's just become Y Frothi Coffi.

My favorite is Microwave..... Y Popti Ping.

Is that not a bit like German? Flugzeug (literally flight thing) for plane, and Handschuh (lit hand shoe) for glove. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is that not a bit like German? Flugzeug (literally flight thing) for plane, and Handschuh (lit hand shoe) for glove. 

Why the fuck do you know German you fuckin' collaborator?! 

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

The popti ping, thats fantastic, thats what I'm gonna call it from now on :lol: 

Jellyfish is another good one. Psygod Wibli Wobli

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Why the fuck do you know German you fuckin' collaborator?! 

The language of the Reich. 

Didn't you do it at GCSE? 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

GSCE isn’t even an acronym in Welsh. :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nah, I did French, at least they were on our side :lol: Bonjour, toot lamont!

Edited by Len Cnut

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Nah, I did French, at least they were on our side :lol: Bonjour, toot lamont!

The French have been our enemy for the duration of our history!! The Anglo-German tension is relatively recent.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The French have been our enemy for the duration of our history!! The Anglo-German tension is relatively recent.

To be fair I’m naff at any English history pre-20th century, have they really been our enemies?  I mean I know vaguely about Napoleon, very vaguely, I’ve only heard of Agincourt cuz of mentions in sitcoms,  I just thought we hated them for being bottlejobs who smelt of garlic.  Oh, well fuck them and all then :lol: 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

To be fair I’m naff at any English history pre-20th century, have they really been our enemies?  I mean I know vaguely about Napoleon, very vaguely, I’ve only heard of Agincourt cuz of mentions in sitcoms,  I just thought we hated them for being bottlejobs who smelt of garlic.  Oh, well fuck them and all then :lol: 

England and France is certainly the greatest of all historic rivalries. These conflicts are most prominent,  

- The Hundred Years' War 1337-1453 

- The Nine Years' War 1688-1697

- The War of Spanish Succession 1701-1714

- The War of Austrian Succession 1742-48

- The Seven Years' War 1756-63

- American War of Independence 1778*–1783 

- French Revolutionary Wars 1792–1802

- Napoleonic Wars 1803-1815

* date of France's entry 

Furthermore, between 1688 and 1815, these were world wars, so that Englishman/British and Frenchman fought in Europe; they fought in India; they fought in North America; they fought on the seas.

England and France is certainly the greatest of all historic rivalries. These conflicts are most prominent,  

- The Hundred Years' War 1337-1453 

- The Nine Years' War 1688-1697

- The War of Spanish Succession 1701-1714

- The War of Austrian Succession 1742-48

- The Seven Years' War 1756-63

- American War of Independence 1778*–1783 

- French Revolutionary Wars 1792–1802

- Napoleonic Wars 1803-1815

* date of France's entry 

Furthermore, between 1688 and 1815, these were world wars, so that Englishman/British and Frenchman fought in Europe; they fought in India; they fought in North America; they fought on the seas.

Fuck, no wonder we don’t like em!  I thought there was only 2 world wars?

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Fuck, no wonder we don’t like em!  I thought there was only 2 world wars?

By common usage, but if we are going to look at the word ''world'' literally, the 18th century was certainly the first time global conflicts took place.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Shit, I should study more history.  English history at least.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

From 1295 to 1513, Scotland used to frequently ally itself with France in what become known as the ''Auld Alliance''. The Scots would invade whenever England had committed soldiers to the continent fighting the French. It was a particular source of irritation to the English until the Battle of Flodden (1513) where James IV of Scotland was killed in battle. 

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

From 1295 to 1513, Scotland used to frequently ally itself with France in what become known as the ''Auld Alliance''. The Scots would invade whenever England had committed soldiers to the continent fighting the French. It was a particular source of irritation to the English until the Battle of Flodden (1513) where James IV of Scotland was killed in battle. 

The fuckin' dirty skirt wearing slags, really?!  From what I was led to believe they were too thick to do anything but try to invade through the north...up round your manor I suppose.  They sided with the froggies over us, fuckin' hell.  I mean the paddies I'd expect it off but the jocks I thought it was more like a family thing.  All I know about wars between England and Scotland, predictably, is down to Alf Garnett 'them wars we 'ad with the jocks, well, they was more like bloodsports, weren't they?' :lol: 

Just now, Len Cnut said:

The fuckin' dirty skirt wearing slags, really?!  From what I was led to believe they were too thick to do anything but try to invade through the north...up round your manor I suppose.  They sided with the froggies over us, fuckin' hell.  I mean the paddies I'd expect it off but the jocks I thought it was more like a family thing.  All I know about wars between England and Scotland, predictably, is down to Alf Garnett 'them wars we 'ad with the jocks, well, they was more like bloodsports, weren't they?' :lol: 

Since 1707 we have been happily united. Or unhappily if you discuss this with Graeme.

Returning to Germany, you have to remember Germany is a new country. United 1871, she is nearly one hundred years younger than the United States of America! Before that, Germany consisted of numerous kingdoms, duchies and micro-states who all had their own foreign policy. 

Since 1707 we have been happily united. Or unhappily if you discuss this with Graeme.

Returning to Germany, you have to remember Germany is a new country. United 1871, she is nearly one hundred years younger than the United States of America! Before that, Germany consisted of numerous kingdoms, duchies and micro-states who all had their own foreign policy. 

But there was still effectively a Germany though werent they so its not fair to say they’re as young as the US, see I did a bit of German history at A Level but i weren’t paying attention by then so I’m not sure :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

But there was still effectively a Germany though werent they so its not fair to say they’re as young as the US, see I did a bit of German history at A Level but i weren’t paying attention by then so I’m not sure :lol: 

There was a German people formed into various separate German states but not an unified state until 1871, and these states had rivalries and wars between each other. Pertinent to this question, Prussia tended to ally herself with Great Britain whereas Bavaria allied herself with France. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There was a German people formed into various separate German states but not an unified state until 1871, 

This rings a bell from the ol’ A Levels as it happens!

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm starting to notice and get the distinct feeling that a lot of your worldview is shaped by fucking sitcoms 😄 😄

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Dutch has vliegtuig and handschoen too. I wouldn't compare that to popti ping or frothi cofi though :lol:

5 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

I'm starting to notice and get the distinct feeling that a lot of your worldview is shaped by fucking sitcoms 😄 😄

I’m a proper thick cunt y’know, don’t give me no credit for no intelligence, where did you get the idea that I knew anything about anything apart from films, the music I like and...well, thats about all, I picked the rest up down the pub and on the telly and the few books I’ve stumbled upon, don’t gimme more respect than I’m worth :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Lio said:

Dutch has vliegtuig and handschoen too. I wouldn't compare that to popti ping or frothi cofi though :lol:

Popti ping is fuckin’ cool though innit?  Popti ping, i been sayin’ it all day :lol:  Its just been swimming around my head.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

All I know about wars between England and Scotland, predictably, is down to Alf Garnett 'them wars we 'ad with the jocks, well, they was more like bloodsports, weren't they?' :lol: 

Did they even bother having teachers in your class or did they just wheel the fucking telly out and stick UK Gold on 😄

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

you didn't study, you didn't work.... fuck, what did you do, you scaramouch?  :lol:

I think you're in need of a make-over. uncle Diesel will take care of history lessons, me I'm going to show you the true meaning of work, and now that I think of it, we need to take care of that accent too @spunko12345, you'll do that for us? :P

Edited by action
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, action said:

uncle Diesel will take care of history lessons

Already done. Disraeli's reform act as I recall.

Donny is here, several flight delays last night out of NY due to snowstorm, but he finally made it. He said he decided New Yorkers are horribly rude and that Americans don't know how to run a que after being in customs for 2.5 hours :lol:

• Like 4